BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Saturday as my wife and I were returning home to Illinois from a quick weekend trip to Florida, our '01 LT suffered the infamous final drive failure. Fortunately, we suffered no personal ill effects from the sudden discharge of oil onto the brake and wheel/tire, were able to safely disengage from heavy, fast northbound I-75 traffic flow, limp into Valdosta, GA, rent a box van and truck the bike and Unigo home.

I've registered the event in the data base, participated in the survey, and am now perusing the f/d posts. Got the bike on the lift last night and began the disassembly procedure, but from my cursory research of forum f/d posts and the service manual, I can't determine if I will need to heat the housing cover to separate it from the housing. Am reluctant to pry or subject the housing/cover to blunt force trauma unnecessarily. What has been the experience of others in this area?

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
rehester said:
On Saturday as my wife and I were returning home to Illinois from a quick weekend trip to Florida, our '01 LT suffered the infamous final drive failure. Fortunately, we suffered no personal ill effects from the sudden discharge of oil onto the brake and wheel/tire, were able to safely disengage from heavy, fast northbound I-75 traffic flow, limp into Valdosta, GA, rent a box van and truck the bike and Unigo home.

I've registered the event in the data base, participated in the survey, and am now perusing the f/d posts. Got the bike on the lift last night and began the disassembly procedure, but from my cursory research of forum f/d posts and the service manual, I can't determine if I will need to heat the housing cover to separate it from the housing. Am reluctant to pry or subject the housing/cover to blunt force trauma unnecessarily. What has been the experience of others in this area?
Bob - I found this first post in this thread, mentioning the heating procedure. HTH

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Dick. That is exactly what I wanted to know. This list never ceases to amaze......

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Dan:

This archived information makes the task much less daunting.

I thought that, once I'd made it past 50k miles, I had one of the 96 per cent bikes. Alas,.....

·
Registered
65 Posts
rehester said:
Thanks, Dan:

This archived information makes the task much less daunting.

I thought that, once I'd made it past 50k miles, I had one of the 96 per cent bikes. Alas,.....
That's what I thought before my 01 with 142K had its rear drive failure. I had to trailer it home {250 miles} then to the shop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts