BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it took me almost 4 years, but the beast took a nap on me yesterday - under "unusual" circumstances. I'll start by saying I park the bike (due to storage constraints) on top of the lift. Very easy roll on and off, and convenient! Easy to control speed down ramp, with front brake.

I had noticed a very slow leak between the engine and tranny. Rear Main Seal? Clutch Slave? Didn't have time to figure it out yet. BUT, there was a slow, steady drip-drip-drip on my lift...

Genious (that would be me) figured a sure way to keep the lift clean would be to roll an old rug out on top of the lift, so when bike is depositing excrement, lift will stay clean. Worked great.

Bad news came when rolling bike off of lift for first time after putting rug to use. I have discovered (once again my friends, I have done the research for you) that when front wheel is on a rug, controlling rearward speed is difficult... A locked front wheel just causes said rug to slide, along with bike.

Got to going too fast, and dumped her over at bottom. No damage, other than a slight scratch on the left side bag. Nothing hurt (not even my ego, since wife didn't see what happened). :D

I have attached a picture of the "offending rug" (when you look at the picture, doesn't it seem like a great idea??). BTW: I did discover a slipping clutch on the ride... So the lift will once again come in handy.

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hate it for you.
I have noticed that when someone drops their bike they always say, (no damage, except)
and that except part is always money and tears.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Damn! Seems there's no end to the potential gotchas we have to watch for! We should plan all our full stop landings ONLY where there is at least a freshly paved area 30 feet in diameter free of any obstructions, sand, paper, sticks, twigs, carpets etc. Must be dry and free of any cracks, splits, oil spots, and bumps!

Any less perfect? Potential disaster!

Sorry about the damage but glad you didn't wind up underneath it. Would have been pretty embarrassing to have to yell for the Mrs to come lift the thing off of you!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Glad you are OK. Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I am sorry, Can't Help.... It.... NOw Im singing MAgic carpet ride.... Now I need training for that!

:D

Glad your ok, this thing at times makes me want to invent anti gravity device :D

·
Registered
860 Posts
wa1200lt said:
Damn! Seems there's no end to the potential gotchas we have to watch for! We should plan all our full stop landings ONLY where there is at least a freshly paved area 30 feet in diameter free of any obstructions, sand, paper, sticks, twigs, carpets etc. Must be dry and free of any cracks, splits, oil spots, and bumps!!
lol

You forgot leaves... GUILTY!!!! dammit...

Glad it wasn't serious... But let's get her torn down and figure out why you needed the rug in the first place...

Oh goody... she's getting implants... :D

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Welcome to an elite club with a long membership list! Glad the damage was minor...

In reference to twigs, leaves and other assorted things to watch out for - try acorns. Got a big oak tree hanging over the driveway and at certain times of the year, when the acorns are dropping, the hard ones are like ball bearings, and there are lots...... been lucky so far, but they sure are easy to find when backing out of the garage......

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah... But look at the picture! For a while, I was a friggin' genius. At least I was smart enough to get the hell outta the way once she was past the point of no return. :rolleyes:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,187 Posts
Not a bad idea Brian on the carpet you just need to put a piece of this under it. It will hold wood while you use a router on it and never slip.

Non-slip Pad

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Now lets be honest here...
Why is it when we make mistakes, we feel the need to tell the collective of our down falls? I for one, have never dropped the bike, had mechanical break downs or lost any hair or changed my appearance what so ever since the age of 21

(In the corps you know :D)

I would appreciate it if Halzee and Uncle Mark, keep these "mistakes" to yourselves as they may scare the lurking newbie's. I mean come on, putting a piece of carpet down to collect a few drops or oil? You do know it’s a metal (made in china) table lift, right? That stuff cleans right up...I bet you clean your windscreen at every stop too! :D Besides, its much more common and accepted to lie, cheat and steal when it comes to "man"ing" up.

Your post should have been the following...

hallzee said:
Well, it took me almost 4 years, but the beast took a nap on me yesterday - under "unusual" circumstances. I'll start by saying I park the bike (due to storage constraints) on top of the lift. Very easy roll on and off, and convenient! Easy to control speed down ramp, with front brake.

Got to going too fast while riding at a high rate of speed, rounded a corner and saw this,

And dumped her over at bottom. No damage, other than a slight scratch on the left side bag. Nothing hurt (not even my ego, since wife didn't see what happened). :D

I have attached a picture of the "officer" doing his business at the scene.

BTW: I did discover a slipping clutch on the ride home... So the lift will once again come in handy.

P.s.- you didn't have to call the wife as she was taking pictures to post on face book, Craig list, my space, twitter & Linked in

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
shoswell said:
Your post should have been the following...
Mine's not an LTC... Man, just wait until the next time I have to slow down, so I can tell your wife you were riding my ass...

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
Things to watch out for should include gravel, especially deep gravel... at slow speed. Under the right conditions it grabs the front wheel and does all kinds of unfortunate things when you aren't thinking about it. So I hear.

This photo was staged, of course. :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
hallzee said:
so I can tell your wife you were riding my ass...
So many places I can go with that statement......but alas, i have resounded as my NY resolution to let "some" go without comment.... :D

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
hschisler said:
Things to watch out for should include gravel, especially deep gravel... at slow speed. Under the right conditions it grabs the front wheel and does all kinds of unfortunate things when you aren't thinking about it. So I hear.

ouch.... that hadda hurt your head afterwards... :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
shoswell said:
ouch.... that hadda hurt your head afterwards... :cool:
Not really. I did a neat little judo shoulder roll, jumped to my feet, determined that no one witnessed it, and carried on.

Besides - like I said - the whole thing was staged. Yep.

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
hschisler said:

Yes, those strategically placed papers on the ground gave it away.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
wa1200lt said:
Damn! Seems there's no end to the potential gotchas we have to watch for! We should plan all our full stop landings ONLY where there is at least a freshly paved area 30 feet in diameter free of any obstructions, sand, paper, sticks, twigs, carpets etc. Must be dry and free of any cracks, splits, oil spots, and bumps!

Any less perfect? Potential disaster!

Sorry about the damage but glad you didn't wind up underneath it. Would have been pretty embarrassing to have to yell for the Mrs to come lift the thing off of you!
And level, perfectly level!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
OK. First of all this post is not my fault. Blame it on JLEWIS and the anti-gravity cat.

How come BMW can build an in-line 6 cyl motorcycle and yet it takes FOREVER to toast bread??? Can't someone at BMW or on this forum invent a toaster that will evenly and accurately toast bread in 3-5 seconds instead of 3-5 minutes using current technology?

I'm going to bring this home now..........

Then we could collect all the neighborhood cats, toast a ton of bread and build our own starships!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts