BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bert will be remembered as a dedicated rider who came to the BMW community at the intro of the K1200LT; moving over from several years of ownership and participation in the Goldwing family. He wasn't particularly enamored with the fact that his first LT turned out to have major issues, requiring a buy-back by the powers --- however, he loved the Toscana Green replacement, and he and wife Linda put many a smiling mile on that bike; making frequent roundtrips between San Antonio and the Pensacola, FL area to visit a favorite Pub there - Bert loved Guinness and apparently that Pub served it just like he liked it!!! ;) Also, roundtrips to Wichita Falls, TX, where he had been stationed while in the Air Force.

Several years ago, on a tight hairpin turn on a local road that he occasionally traveled, the bike's rear locked up mid-turn and tossed Bert - no damage to Bert, but the bike was totalled. The final drive case had a large chunk of material blown out, seemingly from the inside. With insurance and wallet, Bert replaced his ride with a new Goldwing - a bike he was comfortable with. Many more miles on the highway were enjoyed, until Bert developed an illness requiring partial removal of his stomach. That put him in a weakened strength situation, and he lost confidence in being able to handle the bike; especially with Linda aboard. So, the bike was sold. From that point, Bert slowed down a lot, until last month, just before Thanksgiving, when he became ill - requiring a hospital stay where they found developing lung cancer. Subsequently, he had a dibillitating stroke during his stay at a local Hospice facility, and passed away this week.

Cremation will be followed by a small family service at Ft. Sam Houston cemetery in San Antonio - no details yet while the military moves the paperwork along. Bert's daughter and son-in-law live in San Antonio and will be great support for Linda, who is taking care of her 88-year old mother. God Bless them all - rest in peace, Bert.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Very nice write up Dick. I almost feel like I knew Bert just based on your writings. I actually do remember the conversations when his rear end locked up, just never met him in person.

My condolences to Berts family and friends.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
My condolences to Berts family. Thanks Dick.

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
Sad to lose Bert and Monte in so short a time. I hope they are riding fine roads together.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I posted this under Monte's thread and noticed Bert was also in it (between Edgar and Dick). A better time, eating breakfast at the Bowling Alley Cafe in Blanco.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Thanks for the write up, Dick. Prayers go out to Bert's family. So sad to loose two of our brothers so close together, but they aren't hurting anymore. Hopefully riding celestial sweepers with the heavenly breeze in their face.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts