BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

I just purchased a 2017 R1200RT and I'd like to get an aftermarket top case for it. I've always been a fan of the Jesse cases for their strength and overall looks. I'd like to install the 45 liter standard top case but unfortunately Jesse doesn't make a top case mounting bracket for the RT. In talking to their tech support he said that no matter what, to install a Jesse top case you'll need to drill your own holes in the bottom of the case, even if you're using a Jesse mounting bracket. This leads me to believe that I could purchase just about any brand of top case mounting hardware (such as the GIVI monokey mounting bracket) and then just drill the holes in the Jesse top case to match.

Has anyone tried this before? Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
99 Posts
i have a 2016 RT, and I have a givi monolock B47 case (not monokey, cuz I like the look of this case better).
i had it on my gs, gt, and also on my scooter, no issues.

the mount is a stock universal mount that comes with the case. i just got some extended bolts (get stainless) and just mounted it up to my bike. no drilling was needed. of course i make it sound easy, but the universal mount clamping mechanism was little bit weak... hence the new bolts, and i also use old golf grips to cover up the bottom clamps so it won't rub/scratch the bikes rear section.

i racked up thousands of miles with this case, no issues, and my wife use it as her back rest~

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
No experience with Jesse cases, but I have just fitted the Givi aluminium mounting kit, and it's a really well made piece of hardware. The top plate of the kit is a flat plate with rubber bushes where the case sits, so I would think you could quite easily adapt it to fit a different case.
Givi part number SRA5113

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Hi All:

I purchased a 2017 R1200RT I've always been a fan of the Jesse cases for their strength and overall looks.
Curious why you would choose such an agricultural top case for a sleek motorcycle?
Also, The plastic ones such as GIVI and Shad are more resilient to the knock and dink than the metal cases which wear their scars with pride! This works on the tractors - such as the GS, but looks out of place on the RT.
Moreover, the SHAD adjustable case looks like a great choice for those who prefer not being robbed by BMW when they buy the RT Top case.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Curious why you would choose such an agricultural top case for a sleek motorcycle?
Also, The plastic ones such as GIVI and Shad are more resilient to the knock and dink than the metal cases which wear their scars with pride! This works on the tractors - such as the GS, but looks out of place on the RT.
Moreover, the SHAD adjustable case looks like a great choice for those who prefer not being robbed by BMW when they buy the RT Top case.
I agree that the very well designed appearance of the RT would sadly clash in terms of the lack of design consistency and obvious incoherence of materials, plus additional fitting and adaptation of the rack to hold it. Good design is usually subtle and not easily noticed but bad design tend to the opposite. I think the Jesse top box falls into the latter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed, a more rounded plastic case would look nicer but I'm going for function over form. I want something sturdy that I can strap a dry bag with my camping gear to. I likely won't have the top case on most of the time anyway, only when my girlfriend rides with me.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I want something sturdy that I can strap a dry bag with my camping gear to..
That's exactly what I do with my Givi. I have a rack on the top and 2 handles screwed unobtrusively to the sides. I have been lashing gear to the top and sides of my Givi for 13 years with no hassles.
Now I have a shiny colour matched BMW case that the PO fitted, and am struggling to have the heart to drill into it!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I agree that the very well designed appearance of the RT would sadly clash in terms of the lack of design consistency and obvious incoherence of materials, plus additional fitting and adaptation of the rack to hold it. Good design is usually subtle and not easily noticed but bad design tend to the opposite. I think the Jesse top box falls into the latter.
Paint the top of the Jesse case silver and throw a bmw roundel on the back and no one will know the difference from a factory one.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Paint the top of the Jesse case silver and throw a bmw roundel on the back and no one will know the difference from a factory one.
Mmmmm. Not sure you're right there. I think BMW spend a little more time designing their products than taking a box off a shelf, painting It and sticking on a roundel. The very fact a number of people here are quite concernped about the aesthetics of what you are proposing suggests your idea lacks a little consistency or coherence of brand style. If you believe the Jesse is a solution I'm happy For you to fit it if that's what you want but I wouldn't put one on my bike for the reasons I've set out.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Ponch 7M4...Ok.

Attachments

Reactions: Ponch 7M4

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I ended up finding a BMW 49 liter top case on Craigslist for a pretty good price and not wanting to offend anyone with my aesthetically unpleasing Jesse top case idea (and being too lazy to engineer a fit for it) I went for the BMW case. I have to admit it does look pretty good on there (as good as a top case can look anyway) and it's nice to be able to mount it directly to the OEM rack.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Well, I ended up finding a BMW 49 liter top case on Craigslist for a pretty good price and not wanting to offend anyone with my aesthetically unpleasing Jesse top case idea (and being too lazy to engineer a fit for it) I went for the BMW case. I have to admit it does look pretty good on there (as good as a top case can look anyway) and it's nice to be able to mount it directly to the OEM rack.
You will feel great knowing the double skinned 49ltr is both strong and pretty thief proof. I hope you feel you made the right choice - you won't regret it. Quality BMW always trumps (don't mean to offend anyone here) generic ersatz.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Great deal, I’ve also found a used 49 liter OEM top case last year, and while it looks nice, fits easy, super durable, your passenger will appreciate the comfort of relying on the curved back rest. Much better than a pad on a flat box.

Also there are many racks (aftermarket that will work on the OEM case) I’ve seen a few different ones. As I’m thinking of mounting one on my OEM case.

At least for myself I do not throw on the top case unless my passenger is on the back when I need the extra storage.

Enjoy!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
You will feel great knowing the double skinned 49ltr is both strong and pretty thief proof. I hope you feel you made the right choice - you won't regret it. Quality BMW always trumps (don't mean to offend anyone here) generic ersatz.
Not offended at all....especially, after you take some time to find out who makes the BMW top case for BMW. It might just break your heart.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Oooh. Now I'm intrigued. The manufacturer really isn't the issue though. Surely it's the designer (and whoever pays him/her) who specifies the prototyping, materials, design, structure, technology and also oversees the production, testing, evaluation of the product.

·
Premium Member
5,044 Posts
Nice case. I have a colour matched OEM 49 litre and I much prefer that variable capacity Shad case.
I agree with you, Andy! I would have gotten that Shad had I known about it at the time. Come to think of it, I don't think that the Shad Variable existed back then.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I agree with you, Andy! I would have gotten that Shad had I known about it at the time. Come to think of it, I don't think that the Shad Variable existed back then.
I think you're right Pad. That variable lid shad is recent. Heck, if I get given enough money, i'd put my heavy, boxy, colour matched 49 litre box up in the loft and get me one of them there Shads.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts