BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Saddlebag out of allignment?

Left side bag was not closing properly. Got it open and closing but it won't close all the way...out of alignment. Is there away to adjust the latches and or posts?

Ron

·
Registered
437 Posts
Re: Saddlebag out of allignment?

Is the bag full or empty? Several times, when the bag was a teensy bit too full, I'll catch something (clothing usually) flopped out in the manner that catches the sealing edge or the latches......if it's empty..........well you should probably trade the whole thing in for a new one........latches are really hard to dislocate I'd think.....unless something is bitmished........

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So...I talked with my service manager at Chicago BMW Peter, who is a all around good guy and has helped me often with many bikes. He tells me that the latch mechanisism is likely broken and I need a new one. I order one at $241.00 (ouch) and then get back to work. I decide to check Beemer Boneyard and they have the left side(I need the right) and just sold a set to a guy yesterday. They recommend calling Cycle Recycle in North Carolina. They have one and agree to send it out for $85.00 shipped. I call Chicago BMW and cxl my order. I decide to remove the plates that hold the latch mech in and the restraining strap and notice the bar looks a bit bent. I hammer it flat and reinstall. The bag works bu is stiff. A little more fussing with it and the bag now closes smooth and easy. Call Cycle Recycle...and cancel my order. I am sure I caused this as I was on a weekend ride with my g/f and we packed the bags up good. Worth looking at before ordering parts though...saves some dough and enjoyed the satisfaction of fixing it myself.

Ron

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,186 Posts
Glad you found that Ron. Some times the pins get "out of sequence" from one another. If you hold the lid open and half close the latch you can "realign" the bad pin before something gets bent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts