BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I am about to change my slave cylinder and drill the weep hole, a friend has gratiously delivered his lift and the Black Beauty is up in the air. So how do I jack it up to get the rear wheel off? I had originally planned to use the center stand and then across the panniers when the wheel and exhaust were off, but now the center stand is out. Any suggestions, or better yet pictures would be greatly appreciated. I know I can count on you guys.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Try a scissors jack under the center stand mount bosses . I just started to take my bike down to fix a slipping clutch , & that is how I did yesterday .

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I've done several slave cylinder jobs and have used the centerstand without issue. I assume your problem is getting the bike on the stand without the bike moving backwards out of the wheel vise on the lift. Both of the dealers I use most use the scissor type jack approach to solve this problem (their jacks are way nicer than the one I have). Be sure to securly strap down the bike. You'll be using a lot of ummph on this project, an accident is a real possibility.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
I use an Engine Lift and soft tie down's to connect..

If you use center stand, make SURE you tie it "forward" by rope or other method to the front wheel..that way it won't "sit down" on you... unless you try really hard.

·
Registered
109 Posts
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Following the manual:
Undo tranny from frame. Cherry picker lifts the bike from rear, while tranny/motor is supported by wood blocks (under oil pan). Set 'er down carefully on jack stands, leaving the cherry picker still connected.

Go slow and good luck, let us know how it goes...

I promise I've cleaned up the garage since then!

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ooops. You said drilling the weep hole and slave cylinder change? You shouldn't have to remove the center stand ( I didn't ). My last post was for a tranny removal, sorry.

A cherry picker wouldn't hurt, anyway. It'll keep Black Beauty from moving around when you remove the FD and swing-arm with that big breaker bar.

Do you have that modified 30mm socket? If not, I can send you a picture of that, too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't plan on changing the clutch, I notice some slippage when it was cold and the clutch was self engaging when it warmed up, fluid was low, don't need a roadmap. Took awhile to decide to do this, then the lift was delivered, and putting the bike on the center stand seemed like a good idea, until I was on the lift, looked like a new and exciting way to drop the bike. Don't need any new ways while I'm, still perfecting the ususal methods.
Anyway, don't have a cherry picker, do have plenty of jacks and straps, still have to modify the socket, will try the plasma cutter, probably on a couple of them. lol. If you have a pic of your socket, it will be greatly appreciated, all in all, should be rolling in a few hours!

·
Registered
109 Posts
My tooling buddy was able to cut the slot in the socket without a plasma cutter. He made the two straight cuts with a grinder, then cleaned up the sides in a milling machine while I drank some of his beer. We also had to cut about a half inch off of the 12mm allen wrench. Then he loaned me the cherry picker...

The other picture shows the weep hole drilled. The area circled in red shows where I had to relieve a little metal off of the frame to allow the tranny to go back into place. Another post said that if one of the forward motor mounts is loosened, then this won't be necessary. I had the motor resting on a wood block, so I didn't want to move it. Suit yourself.

Despite the garage mess in the previous picture, I had all parts bagged and labeled. Sure helped.

Anyway, go carefully with that 850 pound beast.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
+1 on the location to relieve to get the tranny in. I had a BIT?? of a time trying to get it in without the relief. Got the 4.5" disk grinder out and cut-off wheel and cut off the little web. Tranny went in like butter after that. Also, no need to remove the center stand.

Attached is a procedure someone here did, it is great and easy to do.

DasBoat2003 said:
My tooling buddy was able to cut the slot in the socket without a plasma cutter. He made the two straight cuts with a grinder, then cleaned up the sides in a milling machine while I drank some of his beer. We also had to cut about a half inch off of the 12mm allen wrench. Then he loaned me the cherry picker...

The other picture shows the weep hole drilled. The area circled in red shows where I had to relieve a little metal off of the frame to allow the tranny to go back into place. Another post said that if one of the forward motor mounts is loosened, then this won't be necessary. I had the motor resting on a wood block, so I didn't want to move it. Suit yourself.

Despite the garage mess in the previous picture, I had all parts bagged and labeled. Sure helped.

Anyway, go carefully with that 850 pound beast.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts