BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a jacket light enough to wear in warm summer days while riding yet still provides elbow and shoulder or maybe even a spine protection.

I don't mean a mesh jacket... I have one of those.
What I'm looking is a jacket that when you get off your bike and hang your helmet on your mirror and walk in to a Starbucks you'll not look like an astronaut who just stepped of a spaceship!

Something stylish, looks like one of those popular NorthFace style jacket but made specially designed for bikers!

Any links will be appreciated.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Not sure what the problem is - the only thing women like more than a man in uniform is an ASTRONAUT!

Why not just wear the padding under your clothes like the motorcycle stunt riders do? My friend has a perf leather jacket but you probably don't want to look like a pirate either... If you are wearing a jacket in the dead heat of summer, you will stand out no matter jacket you wear.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I agree with Jim. Don't worry about it. Or just stuff the mesh jacket into a pannier before you go into the Starbucks. If you feel weird wearing a mesh jacket just think back to the 80's and remember some of the jackets people wore back then. You'll realize you don't look as odd as you think you do. ;)

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
Who really care what people think I look like when I get off the bike. In the summer I'll wear shorts under my riding paints and when I stop for any thing longer then a fuel stop I take off the riding paints and just walk around in my shorts and riding boots.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i would recommend taking a hard look at Belstaff. When properly fitted they definitely look more "street stylish" than the heavier ballistic stuff.
As with most, they are on the mid to upper level in pricing.

www.belstaff.com

look under collections "pure Motorcycle"

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am a big fan of REVIT. I have Revit Horizon jacket with zip out thermal liner. Jacket has all the armor including spinal armor. I wear this jacket year around. Anything above 65*F I unzip the thermal liner has its own packet to store the liner. Jacket has very good venting system and it is waterproof. I wore this jacket in 102*F hot and humid day also wore it in 9*F with additional thermal layer. My jacket is 3 years old looks brand new and rode thru 6 hours of down poor stayed bone dry. You live in CA there are lots of temp variation. If I am in your shoes I would just buy Goretex shell jacket with armor such as Klim and call it a day. Good luck with your jacket search.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You may want to look at Roland Sands jackets. They run a touch small.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: CaptJDavis

·
Registered
739 Posts
Who really care what people think I look like when I get off the bike. In the summer I'll wear shorts under my riding paints and when I stop for any thing longer then a fuel stop I take off the riding paints and just walk around in my shorts and riding boots.
Now, you are pushing the edge of the style envelope too far out there...:laugh:

·
Registered
739 Posts
Unfortunately, cool looking jackets and keep cool jackets are hard to find together in one unit. In CA, you could go with a timeless waxed cotton motorcycle jacket and then, sew in some pockets for the protection you want or you could get some kevlar cloth to put on the inside. My guess is you want a unit ready to go... hard to find.

I usually take my helmet, gloves, jacket and whatever off and leave it on the bike. I run my fingers through my hair a couple of times and am good for a meeting, coffee or whatever. Earlier this year, I wore a suit and rode the bike to attend a funeral 3 1/2 hours away. Once inside, no one had a clue I had arrived on a motorcycle. (Left suit jacket in the pannier for the ride and quickly took off the outer protection and put on the jacket before walking into the church.)

·
Registered
739 Posts
No one will stare if you wear this... but probably not as summer friendly as the previous one:

LOL

·
Registered
739 Posts
At least this one will reflect the sun because of it's light color. Again, not too many people will stare at you... for too long if you are wearing this one! Ummm...

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess my explanation of my expactations gave wrong impression to some...
I am not looking a jacket to impress those young homeless college girls working on their Mac computers at Starbucks...

No matter what I wear as jacket, as soon as I take my helmet off, blood pressure of all women immediately goes sky high anyways! :wink:

My point was the lack of movement freedom...
I don't mean what to wear when it is 100F while I am riding.

For example, last week I was invited to a family gathering at a dinner.
I took my bike there and was wearing my Tourmaster Adventure jacket.
Once I arrived at restaurant I realized we will be eating out at the terrace by the ocean.
It was too cold to take the jacket off but also was uncomfortable to sit down with my tour master jacket plus I looked out of place at a nice atmosphere like that.
That's what I mean.
Otherwise I don't give a crap what I look like at a gas stop during my trips.
But also , I don't want to carry my whole wardrobe with me in case if I have to eat or drink at a nice restaurant or so...

Thanks for the list of places to look for what I am searching for.
I'll do that!
0:)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GuitarJim>>> LOL, dude I am not going to ride as the Grandmaster of Gay Pride Parade!!! :surprise:

But, thanks for the nice choices :wink:

Just remember NOT to buy gifts for me !!! Ever!!! :grin:

·
Registered
739 Posts
I guess my explanation of my expactations gave wrong impression to some...
I am not looking a jacket to impress those young homeless college girls working on their Mac computers at Starbucks...

No matter what I wear as jacket, as soon as I take my helmet off, blood pressure of all women immediately goes sky high anyways! :wink:

My point was the lack of movement freedom...
0:)
Yeah, I know, I was yanking your chain a little with the pics...lol.

·
Registered
739 Posts
OK, so, at least this jacket has some zips you could open to get some increased airflow when you ride. A couple of quick zips and you are ready to sit outside in the cool ocean breeze enjoying some time with your friends. You should be able to tuck the pulls on the zippers to make them less visible.0:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts