BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know who carries parts for J Pegs? We just had a bad storm go through Pinellas County Florida and my bike blew over. It was on the center stand and a wind gust blew her over. The only things that got broke so far that I could see is the aluminium crash bar that the J Peg bolts on to and the skirt and a break lever. So I am looking for parts.
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
That's a shame :(

It seems these big girls aren't too heavy for mother nature. I was reading a thread where some riders use a half cover on the bike and the wind out in AZ got under it with the same effect knocking the bike over. Was yours wearing a cover or just a powerful storm. I live in the windy city so this gives me doubts about whether to use the hydraulic stand or side stand in windy situations. And I will be traveling out west this spring/summer so should I over night park on the side stand? We are talking 800 lbs. Where is the center of gravity?

Luckily there was no more damage. :bmw:
ride safe

PS: let me know where you eventually get the pegs I will be needing some in the not to distant future.

·
Registered
50 Posts
billsmith said:
That's a shame :(

It seems these big girls aren't too heavy for mother nature. I was reading a thread where some riders use a half cover on the bike and the wind out in AZ got under it with the same effect knocking the bike over. Was yours wearing a cover or just a powerful storm. I live in the windy city so this gives me doubts about whether to use the hydraulic stand or side stand in windy situations. And I will be traveling out west this spring/summer so should I over night park on the side stand? We are talking 800 lbs. Where is the center of gravity?

Luckily there was no more damage. :bmw:
ride safe

PS: let me know where you eventually get the pegs I will be needing some in the not to distant future.
Bill,
I had a bike go over while on a center stand from wind as well, althought it was not my LT. I now view the center stand as a space saver for inside use only. IMHO side stand is much safer and stable.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Definitely in the garage.

But my '85 GW was my first dresser and talking with the dealer mechanics and riders at a couple rodeo it was suggested to always put your bike on the center stand it would save the engine (reason the hot oil will not always drain to the left side). OK that made sense and had just graduated from a '79 Kaw1000 street bike which I bought used. So the GW was my new baby and I felt I should give it the best treatment.

I want to say ever since then it became a second habit USE THE CENTER STAND. The first few months last year I would stop for fuel and you guessed it UP WENT THE HYDRAULIC CENTER STAND only to come back down to earth to use the side stand. (Owner's Manual)

Bottom line I just did not think 800 pounds was a push over. I never had a HD or a Victory but I notice they are always on the side and I know they are much heavier than mine :confused:
Again I am just saying.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes my bike was on the center stand with a full cover since I live in an apt. till our house in Tenn. sells. I called CC Motorcyles in Tx and they have the repair parts on the way. Thanks for all the help. This group is the best.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I've had my LT blow over parked on the side stand...:mad: While getting a speeding ticket. :mad:

Luckily the cop felt bad for me since it was also my birthday and tore it up! :D

...but it still cost over $300.00 in new plastic. :eek:

About the best you can hope for is to park it behind a building out of the prevailing wind, don't even think of using a cover.. not only is it a "sail", the fabric will trash your paint/windshield etc. as it flaps in the wind. If you can orient the bike so that it is facing into the wind it will help.

I now carry a cam type motorcycle tie down with me and secure the center stand to the rear wheel when parked in wind. It's kind of a pain in the butt getting down there and groveling in the dirt, but it beats ponying up for new parts. ;)

BTW, the tip over bars are made from mild steel.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
RonKMiller said:
I've had my LT blow over parked on the side stand...:mad: While getting a speeding ticket. :mad:

Luckily the cop felt bad for me since it was also my birthday and tore it up! :D

...but it still cost over $300.00 in new plastic. :eek:

About the best you can hope for is to park it behind a building out of the prevailing wind, don't even think of using a cover.. not only is it a "sail", the fabric will trash your paint/windshield etc. as it flaps in the wind. If you can orient the bike so that it is facing into the wind it will help.

I now carry a cam type motorcycle tie down with me and secure the center stand to the rear wheel when parked in wind. It's kind of a pain in the butt getting down there and groveling in the dirt, but it beats ponying up for new parts. ;)

BTW, the tip over bars are made from mild steel.
??? Rear wheel? Man, I been doin' it all wrong, using the front wheel!! ;)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
So again I ask where is the center of gravity on the LT?

My Goldwing 1200 is 26 years old and I am a habitual user of center on that. No, I do not live in FL. nor AZ. But I think Chicago holds the title of being the windy city. I used to use a full bike cover in the garage on the GW but that is not the problem. The GW never fell over. Yeah I dropped it one time but that was my doing.

Now I am going to start asking around too see how many of us have been a victim of the 800 pound bike blow over. It is not to be taken lightly since I am reading of the expense to replace whatever is broken. In the mean time I will use those suggested precautions like never using a cover outdoors, park in a sheltered spot (from the wind) and tethering center stand to the FRONT wheel which I never did before.

As for the rest area or the side of the road, the speeding ticket might have been less than the repair :mad:
ride safe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts