BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

I've never done it...oil change on the LT

2K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  hallzee 
#1 ·
Three allen bolt on the bottom of the oil pan?

How many quarts of oil?

Thanks!

#5 ·
Right. The 3 allen bolts hold on the oil filter cover. Removing the cover will let you access the oil filter. Remove 2 of the bolts and slightly loosen the other unless you want a gusher of oil. Some people remove the oil drain plug but I have never seen the need if you remove the oil filter cover. I fill the oil filter with oil add a total of 3.5 quarts of oil and start the engine. I top off the oil until the level is in the center of the sight glass. You will need a thin walled oil filter wrench to get the oil filter out. I ended up purchasing mine from the BMW dealer but other have found them at auto parts stores.

#7 ·
Mopos said:
Am I correct with the three allen bolts?
Yes. There is a formal drain plug,(8mm Allen), that is located behind the filter access cover. Some guys don't bother pulling this, just the access plate with the 3 screws. Just be aware that hot oil will be coming out somewhat haphazardly, and additional oil will come out when you pull the filter. Best to crack open the cover slightly and let drain. Once the cover is removed, you will need an appropriate oil filter wrench to remove the filter which resides in a cavity above the pan. I bought mine from BMW, but I believe there are cheaper alternatives. This filter wrench allows you to attach a 3/8 drive extension and ratchet to remove and replace. Replenish new filter with oil, screw in place. Clean access cover and install new rubber O ring into covers groove. Carefully reinstall making sure not to overtighten the small Allen heads, I've heard they will snap off if overtorqued. Refill with new oil.

#11 ·
I drop the drain plug first and then the filter cover. Makes less of a mess. Also if you have ever seen the inside of the oil pan, you'll see where if you drain it without dropping the plug, you will be leaving some dirty oil (not much, maybe an ounce or so) and any solids that have settled. Dropping the plug will flush most of the solids out. Just my thoughts and way of doing it.

Make sure the gasket on the filter comes out with the old filter.

3 1/2 quarts of oil does it for my '03.

Warm the engine but don't get it so hot you burn yourself with hot oil.

Be sure the fill plug is back in before you start it or ride off. Will make one heck of a mess.

Clean up with electric contact cleaner.

Have a roll of paper towels or a wad of rags handy cause you will make a mess, just try to not let it get out of control.

If you get the kit, you will have a crush washer or two left over, you will only use the o-ring for the filter cover and 1 crush washer under the drain plug.

Go for it.

#12 ·
Just be sure you have a thin-walled metal oil filter cap wrench. I bought a plastic one at Wally*World. The ID fit the filter, but the OD was to big to fit through the sump opening. I found a metal one at Auto Zone. Much better price than BMW (Bring More Wallet) or H-D (Hundred Dollars).

I think I saw a post about shaving a plastic cap wrench to fit, but I figured I'd just screw it up and still have to buy a metal one.

The oil change is easy. Just very, very messy. Have lots of newspaper under your catch pan, just in case.

#14 ·
Oil Change Kit Metal Washers

I just changed the oil on an '02 LTC for the first time. I purchased an oil change kit from Chicago BMW. There was the filter, rubber filter washer, and O-ring for the filter cover. There were also three metal washers included in the kit - two smaller and one larger.

Can anyone tell me what these three metal washers are for? They ended up as leftovers after the oil change was complete.

Keith

#15 ·
Just be sure you have a thin-walled metal oil filter cap wrench. I bought a plastic one at Wally*World. The ID fit the filter, but the OD was to big to fit through the sump opening. I found a metal one at Auto Zone.

getting ready to do a 24k. what is the part # or od of the auto zone wrench.
I have a long week end and need to stay close to the house. thought i might just take apart the LT and change fluids.

Jim :dance:

#16 ·
lemahieu said:
IThere were also three metal washers included in the kit - two smaller and one larger. Can anyone tell me what these three metal washers are for? They ended up as leftovers after the oil change was complete.
Keith
The filter kit actually fits a few different bikes so they package in the necessary crush washers for each bike.

#17 ·
loansumrider said:
getting ready to do a 24k. what is the part # or od of the auto zone wrench. I have a long week end and need to stay close to the house. thought i might just take apart the LT and change fluids.

Jim :dance:
Hi, Jim,
I just checked my filter wrench. There was a sticker on it, but I peeled it off. I think there were at least three sizes of filters in my Auto Zone. I had the filter with me, so I just chose the one that fit. That's probably your best bet. At $4.00 each, you could buy one of each and return the ones you don't need, if you don't have the filter yet.

I originally stopped at Advance Auto. While the filter wrenches were nearly identical, the ones from Advance would not lock up with the flutes on my filter. I could turn it from flute to flute by hand. Thought I would end up with the big money one from BMW or H-D.

Remember, the plastic wrenches won't fit through the opening in the sump without carving. I still have mine, but it didn't have the size on it either. I can't return it, because I didn't keep the receipt. That $3.00 is going to wreck the household's economy. My "financier" said so.

#18 ·
I use K&N oil filters...3/8" extension (6") on the end of a ratchet works fine. Look at your old filter to make sure the sealing gasket is still on the filter, and not stuck up in the seating boss, if it is, you want to dig it out and not scratch the surface that it has adhered to.

Just make sure you line up the cooling fins on the oil filter cover with those on the bottom of the sump.

Get a long narrow funnel to pour the oil into the engine.

If you dont have cats, buy some kitty litter at wally world to throw down on the oil that you are going to spill ( yes, you ARE going to spill some oil).

Make sure you have the bike on the centerstand to perform your task...no fun trying to shake oil out of the bike if you started the job on the sidestand.

Once finished, and the obligitory test ride is completed, you can now thump your chest, explain to the SO how hard it was, and apologize for ruining her favorite dishrag, then crack a beer, and all will be fine in the world again.

Cheers mate !

:bmw:

:bmw:

#20 ·
lemahieu said:
I just changed the oil on an '02 LTC for the first time. I purchased an oil change kit from Chicago BMW. There was the filter, rubber filter washer, and O-ring for the filter cover. There were also three metal washers included in the kit - two smaller and one larger.

Can anyone tell me what these three metal washers are for? They ended up as leftovers after the oil change was complete.

Keith
These are most likely crush washers for the final drive (one for drain, 1 for fill), and transmission (1 for fill).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.