BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I are currently in Clarksville, Ga and have and engine problem on the 2003 K1200LTE. It started suddenly after a lunch stop as a bad miss and hesitation above an idle with a real uneven idle. The idle varies just about 100 rpm but has an intermittent miss. The miss becomes steady just above an idle but tries to smooth out at about 3000rpm.

I have my GS911 and laptop with me but it shows no faults. I tried disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes and did a TPS reset...no change there.

I had ridden about 170 miles from the last fuel stop, so I don't think it is bad gas.

Does anyone know of a close dealer....Clarksville is in north Ga. I think the closest may be Touring Sports in Greenville, SC. I am not sure I can limp it that far.

Ron

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
dont know how a gs XXworks but it sounds like a plug or lead to happen that quick, good luck hope you get on your way quickly cant help you with a dealer. still could be fuel.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I'm about 70 miles away , call me at Home 770 476 0580 or cell 404 401 0827 if help still needed.

Bruce Kincheloe

·
Registered
809 Posts
Shot in the dark; loosen the gas cap and listen for vacuum releasing. Does it idle smoothly with the cap loosened?

Any chance the tank was overfilled at the last gas stop? Next step: cannisterectomy.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys,

I get no hiss when loosening the fuel cap...I forgot to mention I had already tried that.

Ron

·
Registered
14,452 Posts
kellenbenz said:
Thanks guys,

I get no hiss when loosening the fuel cap...I forgot to mention I had already tried that.

Ron
Touring Sports? Isn't that where Bob Menton hangs out - in Greenville? I've got his home and cell if you want me to PM ya. BTW, would a roasted/toasted O2 sensor throw a fault on the GS911? I think it does, so if no fault, then that thang is good. How about draining what gas is left in the tank and do a slow re-fill and see what happens. Or checking the throttle bodies to make sure hoses are fitted. That's my limit of suggestions, Ron. Holler if you want Menton's #s.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I'm thinking either funky fuel, or a spark plug or spark plug lead going bad...Guess it could be an injector as well but probably not..

I'd drain the tank, Refill with fresh fuel and give that a go. Then I'd look at the plugs..

John

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
BMW Motorcycles of Atlanta, in Marietta, GA (866-984-9844) has got to be closer to you than Touring Sport in Greenville, SC. They have a good reputation - give them a call.

- Bob

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ron, good luck. Our kids live in ATL and we get through there a lot. BMW of ATL is a reputable dealer and should be able to help. Blue Moon is closer, but I don't know about their service. If you decide on BMW-ATL, you may want to arrange trailering it in as traffic around Marietta is pretty bad... Good luck!

Fred

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Any updates on Ron?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update:

I limped it to Touring sports in Greenville, SC ( about 85 miles)....They took me right in but did not find any faults either.. Service guy seems to think the throttle bodies need to be replaced and there are none in the US. Said it could take 2 weeks from the motherland.

We are going to get a good rest then try to limp this puppy back to Texas....so if you are riding I-20 from Atlanta to Tyler and see us on the side of the road...WAVE.

There was no additional change in behavior in the extra 170 miles I rode it today so we just might make it. Once I get home I will get it to Mike at Lone Star and have him work his magic on it.

Thanks for the offers and assistance,

Ron

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I hope you find that with the next couple of tanks of gas things will inprove...

I don't see the throttle bodies going bad.. Obviously you don't either since you're trying to get her back home..

Good Luck

John

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hmm...sounds fishy to me. As was mentioned, throttle bodies don't usually just go bad. I can't help but wonder if one of the rubber seals that connects the throttle bodies to the intake might have gone bad (cracked or maybe loose). If so, you might have a lean running condition on your hands, and running it further could prove detrimental. Hope not. Keep an eye on your oil too. Other things to check might include; coolant temp sensor, cam sensor, O2 sensor. All the best. Hope you make it home ok.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
kellenbenz said:
Update:

I limped it to Touring sports in Greenville, SC ( about 85 miles)....They took me right in but did not find any faults either.. Service guy seems to think the throttle bodies need to be replaced and there are none in the US. Said it could take 2 weeks from the motherland.

We are going to get a good rest then try to limp this puppy back to Texas....so if you are riding I-20 from Atlanta to Tyler and see us on the side of the road...WAVE.

There was no additional change in behavior in the extra 170 miles I rode it today so we just might make it. Once I get home I will get it to Mike at Lone Star and have him work his magic on it.

Ron
Ron,

what a diagnose is that? Throttle bodies need to be replaced?? I've never heard that those wear out to the condition that they need to be replaced. The rubber connectors - yes - but not the throttle bodies themselves.
I would aslo check the crankcase vent hose...

Good luck!

Regards

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,963 Posts
kellenbenz said:
Update:

Ron
Other than the TPS sensor on the throttle body there isn't much that can go wrong. I have a good spare throttle body with the TPS sensor at home. I won't be back home until this Sunday.

·
Premium Member
2,017 Posts
Ron have you tried good old fuel injector cleaner like you put in the car? You can use a proportional amount in a tank of gas. If you have a nearly clogged injector, it may not give a code but make for a miss & bad power. Good luck getting back home and watch out for the stretch of I20 in Mississippi(I think it's between Meridian & Jackson), the west bound lanes are like saddle bronc riding for many miles. Just rode that stretch June 19th.

Ride safe

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update 2:

We are still here in north Ga. Decided to not let it ruin our stay until friday morning and start back then. I have now put over 250 miles on it and nothing has changed so I feel it will be ok for the long ride home. I did run 2 tanks of fuel almost through it and did add injector cleaner to the last tank. As long as I can keep the rpm over 3000 it runs smooth and accelerates normally. Biggest problem is starting from a full stop.

I also worried about doing damage from it running lean, but it is not running any hotter than normal for these temps. My gas mileage has not changed a bit either.

I'll let you know of further events.

Ron

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,157 Posts
kellenbenz said:
Update 2:

We are still here in north Ga. Decided to not let it ruin our stay until friday morning and start back then. I have now put over 250 miles on it and nothing has changed so I feel it will be ok for the long ride home. I did run 2 tanks of fuel almost through it and did add injector cleaner to the last tank. As long as I can keep the rpm over 3000 it runs smooth and accelerates normally. Biggest problem is starting from a full stop.

I also worried about doing damage from it running lean, but it is not running any hotter than normal for these temps. My gas mileage has not changed a bit either.

I'll let you know of further events.

Ron
Ron, have you tried cleaning the spark plugs? Not much work to get to them...
I am wondering if one of them got some residue stuck between the electrodes, preventing smooth ignition at low rpm... In fact you may want to try unplugging the spark plug wires, one at a time while the bike is "idling" and see if one one them does NOT make a difference; it would be the culprit.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update:
We just pulled back into Tyler. It was a rather tough 820 mile day pulling a trailer and riding 2 up with the engine problem....but we made it! I have been in contact with Robert Krull at Lone Star and he has me set up to be there Tuesday morning. I have a trailer and plan to trailer it to Austin.

I am too tired now to try anything, but in the morning I want to get a good look at the plugs and see what I find there. Being home with my tools gives me more opportunity to check things out. I do stock a set of plugs and will change them anyway.

There were no changes in behavior on the ride home......rode through a couple really hard downpours and nothing changed.

Everybody has been great with offers from all directions..Thanks to all!

Ron & Delores

1 - 20 of 66 Posts