BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's official, the LT is STILL the best 2 up touring bike

WHY, you ask? :confused:

Because Wonderlick is now offering cheesy aux wings (about $250 delivered) :rolleyes: for K1600's that:

"drastically increases touring comfort and at the same time, protects the riders legs and feet from wind, cold and wet. Cold air-streams and turbulence originating from beneath the fairing are effectively suppressed."

http://www.nippynormans.com/products/k1600gtgtl/item/wunderlich-wind-deflectors-clear-k1600gtgtl-wun-8110524

Hmmm, even though we're short about 60 hp we still have superior wind protection AND better passenger ergonomics AND 10 mpg BETTER fuel economy, even though it was designed in the late 1990's....

Sure, it's a turd. Yeah, I've polished my turd. But I would rather ride my turd 700 miles a day TWO UP than any other turd on the planet. My turd still weighs about the same as the new turd. Weird, huh?

So there! :dance:

LONG LIVE THE TURD! ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
I also understand that the K1600's are tire eaters and they run through rubber faster than
grass though a goose!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Best touring bike, yes. (the 03 black ones). The old gal still has a lot of things going for it; Designed with 2 up in mind, Queen sized seat for her Majesty, lighted vanity mirror, weather protection, good passenger hand holds, good mpg but can still cruise at 80 mph.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
mwnahas said:
Best touring bike, yes. (the 03 black ones). The old gal still has a lot of things going for it; Designed with 2 up in mind, Queen sized seat for her Majesty, lighted vanity mirror, weather protection, good passenger hand holds, good mpg but can still cruise at 80 mph.
+1

·
Registered
562 Posts
I couldn't agree more! Spent yesterday going over Loveland and Hoosier Passes in CO, 280 miles in half day ride two up, stopped for coffee, never once for gas. Rode with 'wings' in most of the day since it was an amazing 77 degrees here yesterday, closed the wings at the top while it dropped to the 40's, and my wife was happy! Just turned 100K, (2000), and while I have experienced final drive failure, I'm looking forward to another 100K miles. I did ride the GTL for a test ride, and it was sweet, but not sure it's the right move for two up, which is how we ride as often as possible. And today, another 75 degrees, might mean another 300 mile half day!

I'll give them another few years to figure out the 1600 and see what comes of it-til then, I'm happy to keep my predictable 1200 happy with Mobil 1 and new Metzlers.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Another big + for the LT: it's paid for! :D

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
davebullock said:
I couldn't agree more! Spent yesterday going over Loveland and Hoosier Passes in CO, 280 miles in half day ride two up, stopped for coffee, never once for gas. Rode with 'wings' in most of the day since it was an amazing 77 degrees here yesterday, closed the wings at the top while it dropped to the 40's, and my wife was happy! Just turned 100K, (2000), and while I have experienced final drive failure, I'm looking forward to another 100K miles. I did ride the GTL for a test ride, and it was sweet, but not sure it's the right move for two up, which is how we ride as often as possible. And today, another 75 degrees, might mean another 300 mile half day!

I'll give them another few years to figure out the 1600 and see what comes of it-til then, I'm happy to keep my predictable 1200 happy with Mobil 1 and new Metzlers.

Dave
Loveland Pass is simply beautiful, but watch out for the Seven Sisters avalanche chutes: In the winter they have knocked dozens of cars off the road over the years - and in the summer they sometimes spew boulders as big as cars moving at over 100 mph. :eek:

I've not only driven over Loveland Pass probably 100 times (used to work at Keystone Resort) I've also FLOWN over it in a hot air balloon at 16K feet and landed next to Interstate 70 four miles east of the Eisenhower Tunnel. In the middle of winter. It was an unplanned flight.

Oh yeah, I had 8 passengers on board too. :D

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
highroamer said:
Are Meese, Dandiver et al away? :)
Been underwater all morning....

All I can say is, just try it! The K1600 is definitely not for everyone and like all bikes, it must fit your application. The K1200LT made me smile. The K1600 is simply way past that. Since 95% of my riding is solo, and I'm still at that point in my life where I crave excitement, the K1600 fills that need, while giving me the luxuries that I enjoy.

Got to get back under... Show coming up at 11:00....

·
Registered
159 Posts
Those wings remind me of 1980's era GoldWing accesories!
(B.T.W., that is not a compliment.)

·
Registered
130 Posts
So far the consensus seems to be that for two up comfort the LT is still King !

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I, like Michael, ('03 Black), just have to agree with Ron.........and yes, I love to get in the twisties and knock on it. But then, the majesty can crank the tunes, kick back and put in a nice long run and still get off and "walk" to the restaurant or what ever. I'd probably find another fun bike, just for my own pleasure, but the LT is king of touring. :cool:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Absolutely! at 6mm thick, it must be like riding behind the bullet proof wall at the bank! Lt is the best, cant see spending 30 large and get a ride that has large openings around the body, being able to see the battery box, eat tires and now, their going through water pumps like tires!

And, my dealer connect in SoCal tells me they have not seen an LT final drive failure, I hear they happen but not as often as we think. Now FD's on RTP's, lots! But probably due to the way they are rode hard and put away wet! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
ebear695 said:
Lt is the best, cant see spending 30 large and get a ride that has large openings around the body, being able to see the battery box, ...
+1

You hit the nail on the head. But in a way this is a good thing. Just think what would have happened if they came out with a K1600LT? I'd be fighting with Honey Bunny about getting a new bike and peace on earth would be gone.

Greg

·
Registered
330 Posts
Ok, ok...Let's just all agree that the LT is the boss....and the king of all the bosses, of course as we all know, is the '99 Champagne LT. Thread over. Let's move on...hehehe

·
Registered
659 Posts
Who's looking at the 1600's battery box or "ugliness" when they're having the best ride of their motorcycle life?

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Reid said:
Who's looking at the 1600's battery box or "ugliness" when they're having the best ride of their motorcycle life?
True dat... :thumb:

I can see the battery on my '79 R 80/7. ...and it is by any standards - even compared to it's Japanese or British contemporaries - an ugly bike.

...and I STILL think it's the best ride of my life. Puts a silly grin on my face every time I hear the "clickty click click."

I always think there is something wrong with it! ...but then I just jam my earplugs in and all is good with the world. :D

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
And, my dealer connect in SoCal tells me they have not seen an LT final drive failure,

There is not a single dealer that will admit that there is a problem with the final drives on the LT.
The problem is, is that they were over shimmed when assembled, if they were put together correctly the first time, there would not be a problem.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts