BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow board members,

I have been lurking, researching and seriously considering the purchase of an RT for quite some time. Early last week my wife mentioned that we should go order this weekend, she chose today.

Here is what was ordered:
Fluid Gray Metallic: TPM, Cruise, OBC, Dual Accessory Socket, Heated Seat/Grips, Chrome Exhaust and ASC.

The build cycle is the 27th week of the year or 2-8 July. Being I am in Hawaii it is anticipated the bike will not arrive until early to mid September. Yes a long wait but it could be worse.

Since I have such a long wait I have a significant window to reconsider option selection. Any recommendations or reasons to consider a different option set? Suggestions certainly welcomed.

Scot

·
Registered
66 Posts
Congratulations!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
When you get it, you have to make a ferry run over to the big island and take a run up the Hana highway. Perfect ride for an RT. Or Kauai up to Waimea Canyon or around to Nā Pali Coast State Park .

·
Registered
100 Posts
Congrats on a fine choice of a motorcycle. Your option choices are more than adequate. You can always "guild the lilly" later on. My bike took 74 days from order to pick up and seemed like a long time but it was worth it to me to order it how I wanted it.

If I were you I would add a topcase of some kind for your wife to lean against.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ka5ysy said:
When you get it, you have to make a ferry run over to the big island and take a run up the Hana highway. Perfect ride for an RT. Or Kauai up to Waimea Canyon or around to Nā Pali Coast State Park .
I do look forward to taking the bike over to the big island, perhaps I will be able to do this once a year or so.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wvpc said:
Congrats on a fine choice of a motorcycle. Your option choices are more than adequate. You can always "guild the lilly" later on. My bike took 74 days from order to pick up and seemed like a long time but it was worth it to me to order it how I wanted it.

If I were you I would add a topcase of some kind for your wife to lean against.
Good point on the top case. When we rented in Vegas last month my wife did really enjoy the comfort and safe feeling. We will see, I will be on the lookout for a good deal on a used one...not sure the occassional use justifies the cost for a new one.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Is there a reason you would need heated grips & seats in Hawaii? Just not sure I would ever use them if I lived in a warm climate. Heck, I don't use them that much were I live (Pacific NW).

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BALDTIRES said:
Is there a reason you would need heated grips & seats in Hawaii? Just not sure I would ever use them if I lived in a warm climate. Heck, I don't use them that much were I live (Pacific NW).
I thought about the options hard and long. After a good deal of research I came to the list identified.

It may not get that cold but a few weeks a year the weather can get chilly by Hawaii standards. Add the periods of heavier winds and winter rain I think I will get some use I am sure. Also I am confident they will aid resale value down the road.

Also I have been talking with the wife and it is possible that in the next few years we may take a trip to Europe where I will work for a few years...I just want to ensure I am prepared for that as well.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Liv2Ride said:
I thought about the options hard and long. After a good deal of research I came to the list identified.

It may not get that cold but a few weeks a year the weather can get chilly by Hawaii standards. Add the periods of heavier winds and winter rain I think I will get some use I am sure. Also I am confident they will aid resale value down the road.

Also I have been talking with the wife and it is possible that in the next few years we may take a trip to Europe where I will work for a few years...I just want to ensure I am prepared for that as well.
I agree re: resale. An RT is virtually expected to have heated grips. I believe that one without heated grips would not be all that desirable at the time of resale. To a lesser extent, I believe the same to be true for heated seats.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
ka5ysy said:

If I am not mistaken, the Hana Highway is on Maui, not the big island, I have never been to the big island, so there could be a Hana Highway there as well, but I have been to Maui a couple of times and have been on part of the highway to Hana, but never got time to make the whole trip.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
skydiver said:
If I am not mistaken, the Hana Highway is on Maui, not the big island, I have never been to the big island, so there could be a Hana Highway there as well, but I have been to Maui a couple of times and have been on part of the highway to Hana, but never got time to make the whole trip.
skydiver,

Sir you are correct. The popular Hana Highway or Road to Hana as some know it is on the island of Maui.

I am not aware of one as well known on the Big Island but that is not to say there isn't a road with that name on that island.

Scot

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
skydiver said:
You are correct: I had a brain fart ! :eek:

Big Island is good for riding around volcanoes !

·
Registered
219 Posts
Just was on The Big Island two weeks ago. Buddy and I rented bikes and rode every road possible. Ain't no stinking' Hana Highway there! But, found plenty of rain, cold and wind at the higher elevations around the volcanos. Could have used the heated grips and seat....

·
Registered
391 Posts
Liv2Ride said:
Fellow board members,

I have been lurking, researching and seriously considering the purchase of an RT for quite some time. Early last week my wife mentioned that we should go order this weekend, she chose today.

Here is what was ordered:
Fluid Gray Metallic: TPM, Cruise, OBC, Dual Accessory Socket, Heated Seat/Grips, Chrome Exhaust and ASC.

The build cycle is the 27th week of the year or 2-8 July. Being I am in Hawaii it is anticipated the bike will not arrive until early to mid September. Yes a long wait but it could be worse.

Since I have such a long wait I have a significant window to reconsider option selection. Any recommendations or reasons to consider a different option set? Suggestions certainly welcomed.

Scot
Congrats Scot----I knew you had the hook firmly planted by the time we got to Overton! A pleasure to ride with you and give my regards to your wife. Many safe, happy miles.
Dave

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
heavynikonf3 said:
Congrats Scot----I knew you had the hook firmly planted by the time we got to Overton! A pleasure to ride with you and give my regards to your wife. Many safe, happy miles.
Dave
Mahalo Dave. The wife says hi as well.

Now for the drama. Dealer informed me today that although he was able to enter the order for the bike and build date referenced earlier was provided, he never received a confirmation. After contacting everyone he knew of that would be able to validate or otherwise provide assistance it was determined that although a 2012 was identified for the order, it will likely not be built. Sounds like the factory may no longer be building the 2012 RT and this order may somehow turn into a 2013 order. Funny thing is no one knows a thing about a 2013 RT so there is no way I will wait and see what happens.

I will continue this in another thread in hopes that I can get other views from fellow members that may be able to assist in working a dealer trade for one of the many Fluid Gray bikes that are "in transit".

Aloha.

Scot

·
Registered
27 Posts
Liv2Ride said:

You'll be glad you have the heated seats and grips. I had both on just last night coming over the Pali highway . Temperature gauge dropped down below 70 before hitting the tunnels! Brrr! :)

I was also using them alot over the winter as well especially if caught in the rain - Im glad I have.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
lifesabeach said:
Temperature gauge dropped down below 70 before hitting the tunnels! Brrr! :)
Yesterday I was feeling kind of like a wuss for turning on the seat heater and grips at 53F in the fog ...

JayJay

1 - 20 of 39 Posts