BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally the plan was to pick it on Wed. But because of the Giants WS parade I changed it to Thursday. But there was rain on Thursday and I didn't want to drive in the rain the first time on an LT. So today, in beautiful sunny, warm weather my son drove me to the location where the bike was at. The owner drove it out on to the street as the driveway was kinda uneven, going down, then up then down. After a few minutes of instructions I hopped on the LT and slowly drove about one mile to the on ramp to 101SB. My son followed me for back up. I revved it up to what I thought was about 60 mph not paying attention to the speedometer. I looked down and saw that it was just shy of 80. I quickly slowed down.
Anyway, drove it about 45 miles to my house and parked it in the garage where my beloved little 85 VW Cabriolet normally stays. So now it's relegated to the driveway - but it is covered.
I didn't get much sleep last night so kinda tired right now. But tomorrow or Sunday it's going out for a short one hour drive somewhere south where there is little traffic. Might take it to Hollister.
I am so excited!! :dance:

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Welcome to the asylum..........Once you get some solo time on it, you will be amazed how quickly you will get used to the idiosyncrasies of the 'Bavarian Light Truck'..........My first ride, I couldn't get the grin off my face for weeks............still working on it, actually........... :D

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
EddieLo said:
.... Might take it to Hollister. I am so excited!!
That's a neat story - thanks for sharing.

You're excited? You should be!! :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Congratulations on your new ride and welcome.
This bikes are not forgiving, keep always attention on your balance at parking speed.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Wheeeew!!
I looked at the first pix and was afraid you got stuck with one of those few LTs that were made backwards, 180 degrees out of phase?

Second pix I see it's a normal one.

Enjoy--I'm planning an over night run up to Phoenix for a day long ride through the twisting, winding roads in the Tonto National Forrest and then back home.

Bob

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BecketMa said:
Wheeeew!!
I looked at the first pix and was afraid you got stuck with one of those few LTs that were made backwards, 180 degrees out of phase?

Second pix I see it's a normal one.

Enjoy--I'm planning an over night run up to Phoenix for a day long ride through the twisting, winding roads in the Tonto National Forrest and then back home.

Bob
Bob, if you look closely at the second picture you'll see some small oil marks on the floor.. What I did was put a few drops of oil on the floor around the center stand. Then I simply turned it around to face the street. That way when I'm ready to roll, I just zoom out of the garage onto the street.
Because the driveway has a slight slope it would be a pain to back out.

·
Registered
847 Posts
EddieLo said:
Bob, if you look closely at the second picture you'll see some small oil marks on the floor.. What I did was put a few drops of oil on the floor around the center stand. Then I simply turned it around to face the street. That way when I'm ready to roll, I just zoom out of the garage onto the street.
Because the driveway has a slight slope it would be a pain to back out.

Eddie I think you lost on how you turned your bike around;are telling me that you spin the bike around on the center stand. Gary

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GaryEm said:
Eddie I think you lost on how you turned your bike around;are telling me that you spin the bike around on the center stand. Gary
Yes. Remember, garage floors by code have to be smooth as apposed to driveways where they by code must be rough.
So a few drops of oil around the center stand and voila! it spun around with ease.

·
Registered
15 Posts
EddieLo said:
Yes. Remember, garage floors by code have to be smooth as apposed to driveways where they by code must be rough.
So a few drops of oil around the center stand and voila! it spun around with ease.
Be careful as now you have made the center stand slippery, getting it off the center stand will be very difficult because it will want to slide forward rather than flip up. Not to mention that the floor could be slippery and your footing could be compromised.

Congrats and good luck

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Go ahead Eddie--tell him! Oils well that ends well.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
GaryEm said:
Gary,

If your leg isn't a little longer...it will be after the next post. :histerica

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BecketMa said:
Go ahead Eddie--tell him! Oils well that ends well.
The center stand is no longer on oil. While scooting the bike 180* the oil "burned" off so now it's actually sitting on dry surface. There will be no slipping and a sliding, so yes, oils well that ends well, lol.

·
Registered
795 Posts
So the big question, did you have any trouble with the handling? I know you were worried from previous threads but I am willing to lay dollars to donuts that you found the handling to be more worked up in your head than real - am I right?

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I noticed it's on the side stand. Be prepared for lots of smoke on start-up. Nothing to worry about, but always use the center stand or shut it off while still in the saddle and wait about 30 seconds before leaning it over. The head is on the left side and that causes the smoke from a little oil seepage.

Keep the v-twin if you can. They're fun to ride around town after getting used to the LT on the road.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
copperstatetour said:
So the big question, did you have any trouble with the handling? I know you were worried from previous threads but I am willing to lay dollars to donuts that you found the handling to be more worked up in your head than real - am I right?
You are 100% absolutely,unquestionably, categorically, undeniably, unequivocally, correct! :D

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
deanwoolsey said:
I noticed it's on the side stand. Be prepared for lots of smoke on start-up. Nothing to worry about, but always use the center stand or shut it off while still in the saddle and wait about 30 seconds before leaning it over. The head is on the left side and that causes the smoke from a little oil seepage.

Keep the v-twin if you can. They're fun to ride around town after getting used to the LT on the road.
Thanks for the advice. Learn something every day. It's on the center stand now. I plan to keep the Star. Fun bike for roaring around town sounding like a HD that cost ten times more than what I paid. :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Is that a Roadstar or a 'V."? I also have a Star ('03 Roadstar) and an '06 LT. Got about as much dinero in each.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
eremite06 said:
Is that a Roadstar or a 'V."? I also have a Star ('03 Roadstar) and an '06 LT. Got about as much dinero in each.
It's a 2003 650 V Star with about 9k miles on the odometer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts