BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
but I'm happy to report that like Johnny Winter once sang...
Still alive and well!

Anybody from the old group still around?
For a refresher...
1999 K1200LT that has mods past zz...
Iron butt rider, HID king, Unigo #1 distributor in workd
Lightologist.

Who's still here..????????
Raffy? Randy? Tom Austin?

·
Super Moderator
1,433 Posts
Ron,

Well its been a long time as this site will be 20 years old next year.
Many of the originals may be lurking but not posting:

To name a few:
Randy Prade - last post 01/06/17
Raffy - last post 10/06/14
GIF - last post 11/28/15
Icepick - last post 04/14/17
Davedragon - last post 07/06/15
Stick - last post 02/29/12

However check out this area of the site to check out members and their actvities - lots of interesting facts , if your interested in that sort of thing . . . Notable members

Welcome back if even for a nostalgic moment :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dan. The last time I poked around here I stumbled on the memorial page and was saddened to learn that some more old friends have passed on. Thankfully my memory is still working and I've some great ones from the early CCRs.

·
IBR# 366
16,655 Posts
Stick! It's been a long time, my friend.

A handful of us old timers are still around, but many have moved on, or passed on.

How many miles you got on that LT now?

Reactions: djmellor

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Nice to see some of the names from the "OLD" days. I've been hanging around these parts since the days of the original YAHOO group when we were trying to figure out what size shims we should use so we could put Dunlop rear tires on the '99 LT's. Since that time I've been through 2 LT's, 2 R1150 GS's a K100/EML sidecar and an R1200RT. About 10 months ago I sold my RT and hung up my helmet. At 81 with legs and knees that struggle just to support my body, managing the bike became difficult and I figured I should quit while I was ahead. Still lurking here and enjoy reading about everyone's adventures! Lynn Keen

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stick! It's been a long time, my friend.

A handful of us old timers are still around, but many have moved on, or passed on.

How many miles you got on that LT now?
Hey Ken good to see you still around.
The LT went away back in '06 or so. Currently rebuilding a 1980 shovelhead but also looking for something with longer legs.
I figure I got at least one more cross country blast left. Hopped on here to check out the used bikes in the marketplace and it didn't seem right to not say hey.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice to see some of the names from the "OLD" days. I've been hanging around these parts since the days of the original YAHOO group when we were trying to figure out what size shims we should use so we could put Dunlop rear tires on the '99 LT's. Since that time I've been through 2 LT's, 2 R1150 GS's a K100/EML sidecar and an R1200RT. About 10 months ago I sold my RT and hung up my helmet. At 81 with legs and knees that struggle just to support my body, managing the bike became difficult and I figured I should quit while I was ahead. Still lurking here and enjoy reading about everyone's adventures! Lynn Keen
Thanks for the reply Lynn and glad to see your still around (unlike many others).
Congrats for riding into your 80s. That's saying something.
Best of everything to ya'.

·
IBR# 366
16,655 Posts
My second LT went away many years back, as I moved toward the K13GT for solo LD rides and GTL for two-up. But my wife never quite got comfortable on the GTL and always said "I miss the LT".

So I picked up an '03 LT in NY and immediately rode it a thousand miles to KY, then TX, then to OR. It felt instantly familiar: heavy, a bit underpowered, but extremely comfortable and competent. And there are some great deals out there these days.

Good luck with your purchase, and welcome back.

Reactions: Voyager

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
I was always in the background, starting around 2002, but definitely benefited from the early group that so willingly shared their wisdom and knowledge of the K1200LT. If it were not for the early innovators, I'm not sure if I would have kept the Big Green Machine for about 10 years and 50,000 miles. All of you added immensely to my experiences with the LT and my riding pleasure. It was only after the GTL was announced, that I moved on but still have fond memories of the group and the LT. It's nice to check in occasionally and read about what was a great 10 year experience.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was always in the background, starting around 2002, but definitely benefited from the early group that so willingly shared their wisdom and knowledge of the K1200LT. If it were not for the early innovators, I'm not sure if I would have kept the Big Green Machine for about 10 years and 50,000 miles. All of you added immensely to my experiences with the LT and my riding pleasure. It was only after the GTL was announced, that I moved on but still have fond memories of the group and the LT. It's nice to check in occasionally and read about what was a great 10 year experience.
Thanks Dan. I've been online in motorcycle groups for going on (oh shit is it really??) 25 or 26 years now....damn. I go back to UseNet days and BBS, Still haven't had one bad experience dealing in the mc community for buying/selling... bunch of tough talking but honest folk, The early days of the CCRs and tech discussions were indeed special.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts