BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2020 R1250RT
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
@NuckaMan I had blinders on for the RT. Never considered anything else. I have wanted one for a long time but was never the right bike at right time. Getting ready to retire in a few years, and I figured if not now, when? I do have other bikes in the garage for shorter rides, but this will be my long distance touring bike!

Rick G

·
Registered
47 Posts
More farkles being installed. Ordered a headlight protector and sidestand foot enlarger. from Twisted Throttle.

Getting Real!

Rick G
Was the headlight protector for the 2021 or earlier model, lights look different? I haven't found a 2021 one as yet. I took the side stand foot enlarger off my 2014 hope that hasn't changed. It was a $6.50 purchase from China but the issue was it made the bike stand too upright, so I ground some of it off, works well.

·
Registered
2020 R1250RT
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
@Fotofast My RT is a 2020. I understand the 2021's have a different headlight assembly. I don't know if R&G makes one for the 2021 yet. Check Twisted Throttle.

Rick G

·
Registered
47 Posts
@Fotofast My RT is a 2020. I understand the 2021's have a different headlight assembly. I don't know if R&G makes one for the 2021 yet. Check Twisted Throttle.

Rick G
Can't find a 2021 anywhere as yet, looking at my 2014RT before I sold it last week I couldn't find any signs of stone impact on the protector screen, hope I remain lucky.

·
Registered
2020 R1250RT
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It is official, no April Fools joke! As of today, I am the proud owner of this beauty! All farkled and waiting for me to pick up in 3 short weeks! I am officially proclaiming her my Super Sport Touring Couch Rocket or just The Couch Rocket for short!!

It will be a long 3 weeks till pick up.

Rick G

·
Registered
2020 R1250RT
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I’ll have to stop by there and take a look at your new beauty. It almost time to schedule my yearly service anyway.

Paul
Take some more pics and say hello to Rick and Nolan for me!

Rick G

·
Registered
2020 R1250RT
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
10 days till I pick up my Couch Rocket! I am already packing up for the trip!

Rick G

Reactions: PadG

·
Registered
47 Posts
Rick,

If the weather cooperates and I’m out riding on the 24th I’ll have to stop by and see that new ride. Do you have a time scheduled for the pick-up?

Paul

·
Registered
2020 R1250RT
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Rick,

If the weather cooperates and I’m out riding on the 24th I’ll have to stop by and see that new ride. Do you have a time scheduled for the pick-up?

Paul
I hope to be there close to opening on Saturday the 24th.

Rick G

·
Registered
2020 R1250RT
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
2 more days till I fly out. 3 more days before I pick up my Couch Rocket!

I have now packed and unpacked twice. Still have to ditch a few items. Must have clean undies and socks for each day. Will reuse everything else. Trying to make sure I have enough layers of varying weights so I can be comfortable regardless of weather. Made sure my electric liner still works. Been a few years since I have used it. I must becoming a fair weather rider! LOL Cleaned my helmet and inserted the pinlock for some fog resistance. Picked out gloves. On a trip this long I like to have 3 pair. Waterproof, mesh, and leather for different temps and conditions. With heated grips and Gore-Tex leather gloves, I won't need winter ones. Packed a rain parka as it looks like I will have several days of rain and will need off the bike that will double as light jacket and extra liner as well. Got my toiletry bag set with a weeks worth of meds. All of this will go into the saddlebag liners I have already bought. Those will go into an old rolling duffle for the plane along with what didn't fit in liners. I will leave duffle with my buddy who is picking me up in Baltimore and driving me down to Chesapeake VA. Maybe I will get it back someday. I plan on carrying my helmet on board as well as a small backpack.

I shipped a phone mount, tire repair kit & pump, Rok Straps, cords & chargers, battery pack, flashlight and maps direct to dealer.

What am I missing??

Going to be a long 3 days!!

Rick G

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Have fun!!!! I will make sure that all the snow that we have right now are all gone when you get back! ;)

·
Registered
2020 R1250RT
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Pad, we are going to have to meet up for a ride this season.

I hear you on the snow. Got about an inch last night but it will be gone by late afternoon. I do expect some rain and cooler temps while touring on my Couch Rocket, I have already packed and unpacked 3 times as I stress over proper gear and clothes to take. Electric has been tested and will be packed! Leaving tomorrow morning. 2 days till pick up!!

Rick G

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
I can feel your excitement!! :)

It seems that we have more snow here, but it all should be gone by tomorrow. I am looking at more than an inch on my back deck, but it's melting, as the outside temperature is at 47 deg.F right now.

I usually ride solo, but I would be happy to show you some of my favorite places sometimes. I almost always head east, and into PA.

·
Registered
2020 R1250RT
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Pad, I am well familiar with PA roads as I am born and raised in Pittsburgh only moving to Cleveland area 15 years ago. My day rides generally take me down to the Atwood and Tappan lake regions. Great riding down there.

Rick G

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Never been down that area. I try very hard to avoid 4-laners, and so usually take the country roads and head east into the hills. Quite often east and north all the way into NY on my day rides. I should check out those lakes sometimes though. Looks interesting. Take I-77 all the way down into the area?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Rick,

I plan on motivating early tomorrow and meeting you at Adventure to see your new wheels in person. Are you and your friend driving down in the morning?

Paul

·
Registered
2020 R1250RT
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Rick,

I plan on motivating early tomorrow and meeting you at Adventure to see your new wheels in person. Are you and your friend driving down in the morning?

Paul
Paul,

Finally back home. Thanks again for leading me around as I got acquainted with my new bike.

Here are a few pics for everyone.

Picking up my bike. Paul was hiding while we were taking pics.

After spending that night in Chesapeake, I rode up to Baltimore to visit my Buddy who had picked me up at Airport and drove me to dealer. I took that 20 mile bridge combo thing to the Eastern Seaboard eventually having lunch on the Boardwalk in Ocean City Md.

The ride up and back to Baltimore put the necessary mileage for the first service. Then it was off towards the Smokies to meet up with my Nephew from Atlanta in Hiawassee GA, but first the Blue Ridge Parkway.

After meeting up, the next morning we set out for Wheel Through Time. A must stop if in area.

This is Matt Walksler. His father Dale founded the museum. Sadly he passed just a few months ago. If you have been there, you probably met one of them as they were always talking to guests...never treated you like customers.

To be continued...

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 R1250RT
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Bought a ball cap and sticker before leaving. Dale now rides with me.

Got to the Gap in time to check into our room and take an out and back pass.

Obligatory Tree of Shame Photo

Went to Tapoco Lodge for Dinner. Apparently it was Mini weekend as they were everywhere!!

Fugitive Dam

21 - 40 of 42 Posts