BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2020 R1250RT
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is getting real! I now have a pick up date and a definitive plan. Plus I a have started Farkling my bike, before I even set my eyes on her!

I decided on the Wunderlich bars for both engine and luggage and had them sent directly to dealer where they were kind enough to install.

I have also purchased the BMW Tank Bag and color matched top box with Brake Light.
Last night I ordered the headlight guard and side stand foot enlarger which will also be shipped to dealer for install before pick up. It would be my kind of luck to get a stone chip in a $1200 headlight assembly on the way home! Or to put side stand down on gravel or dirt having it sink and topple. I am now protected from the dumb shit I always seem to do! LOL

As the dealer is 600 miles away I have to arrange to get there. Originally I was going to ride my Roadster down to Nashville to stash semi permanently at my daughter and SOL's place. He and I have plans to ride together once he gets his endorsement and takes a refresher course as it has been years since he has ridden. I would then fly to VA to get new bike. However the logistics just weren't working out.

Then I had a friend tell me that he needs to visit his near do well brother down in Richmond and he would drive me to Chesapeake. Turns out he can't do it till sometime in May, and I want my bike sooner rather than later.

Now I have reached out to one of my best HS buddies (Nick) whom I haven't seen much since he moved to Baltimore about 10 years ago. He actually gave me my very first ride on the back of a motorcycle on his CB500 way back in the day! So now I have snagged an $87 Southwest flight to Baltimore on 4/24 where Nick will pick me up and drive me down to Chesapeake where I will get a room for us and treat him to a nice dinner. My 2nd Covid shot is 4/7 so I should be fully immunized by then. I will pick up my bike Saturday morning the 25th when the doors open. Told Nick to bring his riding gear to take a demo while I do final paperwork and get the walkaround and info on bike features.

Sunday, I take off for 1 600 mile 2 day ride, arriving back at dealer when they open Tuesday morning for 600 mile service. That afternoon, I am off on a meandering 4 day ride back home to get acquainted with my new bike.

Love it when a plan comes together!

Rick G

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Congratulations on the new Bike! All of the guys at Adventure are just great. I bought my 2015 RT there and a 2004 K1200 before that. I’m kind of itching for an upgrade to the 2021 RT as my last bike but my 2015 is just perfect right now. Maybe next year - we’ll see.

Paul

·
Registered
135 Posts
Congrats and may the highway Gods always smile on you and your new bike. I like your plan and hopefully it all comes together. Be safe.

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Congratulations!!!

Reactions: Rick G

·
Registered
'18 R1200RT, '18 Abarth 124 Spider, '87 VFR 400R & an everyday sedan.
180 Posts
Congrats! Sounds like an excellent picking up the new bike itinerary. Enjoy.

Reactions: Rick G

·
Registered
2020 R1250RT
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More farkles being installed. Ordered a headlight protector and sidestand foot enlarger. from Twisted Throttle.

Getting Real!

Rick G

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Where are you picking the bike up?

·
Registered
2020 R1250RT
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where are you picking the bike up?
Purchased from Adventure BMW in Chesapeake VA, the same place I bought my Camhead Roadster. Only difference is last time it was middle of winter so he shipped it to me. This time Fly & Ride!

Rick G

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Very nice! Nice ride back too.

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Whoa! How did you get the red/blue striping??? That's not on any options that I had seen!

·
Registered
382 Posts
That is not BMW, bought in the UK, had them on my 2017 R1200RT so thought I'd put them on this. Added a few pinstripes, my first ever attempt.
Steve P
Really think they look very good on the white, where did you buy them from? Leaning more towards the white, but not the 719 option. Like the Blue as well, currently have the Red sport 1250, but expect the blue to be a very common colour, but haven't seen it in the flesh yet, so might just grab me :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Congrats on the new bike, it looks fantastic! What seat is that, that you have on it? It looks too comfortable to be an RT seat :)

·
Registered
2020 R1250RT
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Congrats on the new bike, it looks fantastic! What seat is that, that you have on it? It looks too comfortable to be an RT seat :)
As far as I know it is the stock saddle. Haven't seen it in person yet. Only having farkles shipped there. I will find out how comfortable the seat and bike is soon enough.

Rick G

Reactions: fleuger99

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think I mised the detail on the headlight protector you purchased. I just commited to a '20 RT leftover and will be picking it up this coming week.

Head light protector is something I was looking into get as being out west, when things dry up, rocks and stones getting pick up and thrown at you a common occurance....espeically on well traveled desert highways.

·
Registered
2020 R1250RT
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I mised the detail on the headlight protector you purchased. I just commited to a '20 RT leftover and will be picking it up this coming week.

Head light protector is something I was looking into get as being out west, when things dry up, rocks and stones getting pick up and thrown at you a common occurance....espeically on well traveled desert highways.
This is the one I purchased from Twisted Throttle. Cheap insurance for a $1300 replacement unit!

Good luck on your new purchase. Which color did you get? I hope you got at least a good of deal as I did.

Rick G

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Rick for the reference on the headlight cover.

I went with the Blue Metallic. Dealer is giving me 3K off the sticker with the GPS thrown in. I think its a fair deal. I wasn’t too interested in the new features of the ‘21 so I don’t feel like I am compromising too much for opting for the 20’.

My first BMW back since a 08’ GSA I had for a few years since new.

Congrats on your recent purchase.

·
Registered
2020 R1250RT
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Blue Metallic is nice. Sounds like we are getting similar deals. I have the the Nav 6 and deluxe top box with brake light kit and tank bag thrown into my price. MSRP with everything is $27,800. I am buying for about $22,500.

It is still a month away from flying down to pick up and today I found myself gathering things together that I will want with me on bike. Electronic cables, maps, ear phones, flashlight etc. Plus I like having dedicated tire repair kits for each bike so I already bought a new Stop & Go kit with pump and a new set of ROK Straps. Whatever old suitcase I stuff all my shit it to fly down, will be left there at a Goodwill!

Be sure to post pics of your new steed and I will do the same!

Rick G

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Blue Metallic is nice. Sounds like we are getting similar deals. I have the the Nav 6 and deluxe top box with brake light kit and tank bag thrown into my price. MSRP with everything is $27,800. I am buying for about $22,500.

It is still a month away from flying down to pick up and today I found myself gathering things together that I will want with me on bike. Electronic cables, maps, ear phones, flashlight etc. Plus I like having dedicated tire repair kits for each bike so I already bought a new Stop & Go kit with pump and a new set of ROK Straps. Whatever old suitcase I stuff all my shit it to fly down, will be left there at a Goodwill!

Be sure to post pics of your new steed and I will do the same!

Rick G
Sounds like your getting a really excellent deal! Extraordinary deals are hard to come by for new BMW’s here in CA due to volume of bikes that move year over year. But with that said, inventory for leftover GS which is without a doubt the biggest movers, is much higher than recent past. Not sure if that is indicative of anything but something I thought that was quite interesting. R9T of all variants though, dealers can’t get enough to keep up, very good sellers here.

Any other bikes in your consideration? I was extremely close in going the Goldwing DCT route but in the end, the handling, little extra performance and removable bags made me go the RT route. Other than a occasional weekender here and there, won’t be going on any super long, multi week journeys due to work commitments for awhile. I wanted something comfortable and capable enough to knock out a fast 400 to 500 mile day ride and still in a position to do stuff around the house, do a errand or 2 with the wife, or even go for a late afternoon bike ride. RT and all it’s amenities checked all the boxes for me.

Will post up a pic or 2 when I get the keys this Friday.
Safe travels with your fly-n-ride!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts