BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been a couple of months that I have been on the site so I thought an update may be appropriate. It gets hot here in the Phoenix area so I do not do much riding. However, on the Labor day weekend I decided to take a day trip up north-and east. Through Payson, on the rim to Show Low over to Hon da, then back through Show Low, down to Globe via Salt River Canyon (fun times there). Stopped in Globe to visit my sister who lives just out of town on the reservation. I turned off the main highway US70 onto her road and came to a normally dry wash with a little water in it, a couple of inches. Stopped a moment to make sure of the depth and proceeded through making a big splash going through. About 100 past I turned on onto the dirt road that parallels the wash then goes up a small ridge to her house. As soon as I turn onto the dirt road I noticed that the road was very very sandy with thick loose sand. The front wheel began to weave so I gave it a little gas to power through. WRONG! The rear wheel swayed left then immediately to the right in a larger sway then back to the left in a larger sway and I knew it was over. :kaboom: Over 135K miles and 35 years and I laid a motorcycle down. :( DAMM! I thought, damm, damm, damm. Not hurt I got up and looked at the big old ugly dirty pig there lying on her side. Turned off the ignition and then attempted, I mean attempted several different ways to get her back up. I know the procedure but every time I started pushing with my legs my foot would slip in the sand.

Pride now hurt, (No I forgot to take pictures for prosperity) I called my sister and she had my niece came down the hill and helped me right the big old pig. So up the hill I went and the road was rough. Got to the top and used her water hose to wash out the foot peg an evaluate any damage. Only damage is right bumper got scratched up a little and the lower fairing has some small scratched from the sand, sliding in it. A couple of hours later I came down the hill and when I got to the area I fell I stopped and proceeded through the area with feet down and letting the engine pull the bike through. Got to the other side of the area and then on home without any other problems.

Funny thing is for sometime now I have been considering buying a GS. So now I am more strongly leaning in that direction. I do not think I will sell the big pig but keep it for when I have two up or know that I will not be riding in thick sand. :crybaby:

·
Registered
795 Posts
I really don't consider going down in dirt or loose gravel dropping the bike when it's an LT. I work in the construction business and have to ride out to construction sites where I have to ride over mud shakers and track-outs and I know that sooner or later I am going to go down on one of those things. when you have no traction, and/or the ground moves, if it moves just a little too much there is going to be no way to avoid it on a beast as heavy as an LT.

Maybe I'm just taking a preemptive opportunity at saving face when my spill eventually happens. My saving grace is that I'll have a bunch of guys around who are all trying to prove they are more manly than the next to heave it back up, and of course if that fails there's always an assortment of fork lifts etc running around.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've had my '03 LT for a year now. The first week I had it, I had to meet a contractor at a certain address. When I got there, it was a gravel drive, up from the street. Never having a bike this heavy (and top heavy), I drove up and the gravel was fresh, loose and thick! Made it up, though, called the guy...and I was on the East street, not West! :crybaby: Turning around to drive out, the front tire slipped in the gravel, dug in and it went over - gently, but over on to the right side. Luckily a biker happened to be going by when it happened, stopped and helped me pick it up. Loose, thick gravel + LT = no fun!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
copperstatetour said:
I really don't consider going down in dirt or loose gravel dropping the bike when it's an LT. I work in the construction business and have to ride out to construction sites where I have to ride over mud shakers and track-outs and I know that sooner or later I am going to go down on one of those things. when you have no traction, and/or the ground moves, if it moves just a little too much there is going to be no way to avoid it on a beast as heavy as an LT.

Maybe I'm just taking a preemptive opportunity at saving face when my spill eventually happens. My saving grace is that I'll have a bunch of guys around who are all trying to prove they are more manly than the next to heave it back up, and of course if that fails there's always an assortment of fork lifts etc running around.

Yea, but knowing construction guys who are mostly Harley fans I still bet they laugh there ass off and tease you when it happens.

·
Registered
593 Posts
My only drop came when i was in loose gravel off of the road, trying to get a good view of the mine at Morenci. :(

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would love to see photo's of the 305 scrambler. when I was 13 on my Honda trail 90 I wanted a 305 really bad.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keith, so would I. I don't think I have any but need to look at my old photo stash. I can tell you that that sucker really vibrated up around 50-60 mph.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.