BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would ask here as I have a problem I need to figure out. I'll start from the beginning and describe.

Last week Wed or Thurs I headed out for lunch. When I left the ABS light and red hazard light were blinking and would not stop. Thinking that it was a computer issues I turned off the bike to reset the computer. Turned it back on and it started. When I hit both brakes the ABS light went off as usual and I continued my lunch hour logging 20miles :D . Last Thursday night I took my daughter on an eighty-five mile ride. I shut off the cycle a few times, we ate dinner everything was fine.

Today Monday I wanted to take an after dinner ride and everything started up not a problem then I noticed the ABS light and red hazard light was again blinking. So I turned it off like before, however, this time I could not get it started again, it would not turn over. I was able to push it around was going to head down hill to pop the clutch. However after turning around everything fired right up.

So I took it around the block, went to a parking lot near my house, kept the cycle running and made a phone call to a friend to get his advice. His thoughts included that maybe it was a voltage problem, that is why the ABS and hazard light blink, not getting enough volts to finish their "system check".

So I rode around a bit warmed up the engine and again turned it off. It would not turn over so I headed home, this time I parked on an uphill and was able to roll start again.

So do I just replace the battery? or could it be the alternator? or both. Should I consider of something else? Is the Voltage an issues w/ the computer when low?

Thanks,
-steve
'91 k100 LT
http://stevescycletripsmore.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
558 Posts
That sounds like the battery. I have heard that alternators can have problems getting dirty and needing to be cleaned around 40,000 miles. It would be best to check the output of the alternator to be safe.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why would a battery go bad so soon? It was a new battery put in in March. I've put 4k on this cycle since getting it --love it--. Anyways, I'll go get a battery either on Saturday or middle of next week. Family stuff and Job stuff will keep me from this project until then. I'll give you an update then. Thanks so much. I will also love continued ideas.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Battery Help

So today I had some time to start this project. I'd rather be riding but, oh well...

Anyways, I pulled the battery and I'm trying to do some research and i'm not coming up w/ very much. The battery is a "Bike Master 53030". It IS NOT a sealed battery. Is this a correct battery for the '91K100LT w/ ABS? I sure would like to know how many amps this battery is giving and I cannot figure that out.

I've also pulled the starter and plan to clean it, clean all the connections. So maybe I'll be riding by Friday and the weekend if all goes well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The wrong charger or tender can cause a much shorter battery life.
I had a faulty radio that shorted to ground from time to time (while stored),
I thought I had left key in off rather than locked position causing the radio to be on and draw down the battery. I charged (a gel cell) using a standard lead acid battery charger , by the time I found that the radio was indeed the problem I had caused the battery to only charge up to 80%. I now have a new battery (as well as charger rated for gel cells).

·
Registered
210 Posts
I had the same thing happen, it was caused by my rear brake reservoirs being a tad low. Topped them off and things have been good since. If this is the problem make sure you use the right DOT brake fluid

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On the Road Again...

So I went through too much trouble and should of just changed the battery. But all is clean and I'm had a great ride this afternoon. Thanks for the suggestions.
-steve

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same problem with a 03 LT. The abs light flashes quickly, and I have no servo operation. Sometime a restart does the trick. Sometimes a 2 or 3 min ride with the residual system will secure the light. Happens almost every time when air temps are under 60 degrees. Its been going on for 2 weeks or so. I have a new battery in the bike. Pads are good, and fluids are up. Stuck relay??? Just getting into it as it is happening more frequently. Any thoughts before I start??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts