BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I´m a quite new member in this forum and fairly new owner of a LT. My LT is from 2004, i.e the same as the US 2005 year model. My issue is that I can´t adjust the volume higher, only lower. Furthermore, the mute button is not functional at all. I have tried to use the buttons for both driver and the pillion but with the same result.

The highly recommended method disconnecting the battery I have tried several times without no change in the ability to adjust the volume. I finally asked a BMW mechanics to carry out a troubleshooting and he came up with the answer; the radio is broken. OK, so I got a brand new radio from the dealer that I bought the LT from (Long story behind that :) ) and installed it. The result? No change in the radio volyme settings; the problem was still there. I therefore opened each connection and had them cleaned with no luck at all. I do not think the problem is the buttons for the driver and pillion but in a connection somewhere.

So, have any of you encountered this problem? And in that case what was the solution?

Regards

Jan

·
Registered
256 Posts
Well, if a new radio did not solve the problem, perhaps the fault lies in the radio volume rocker switch or its wiring...

I have never had my 'stingray' off or even looked at the wires, but I will guess that after removing it you would have access to the control wiring, and from there a straightforward ohmmeter check could verify the switch action as long as you have a diagram and know which wires to check... ;)

·
Registered
498 Posts
I would try disconnecting the controls for the rear volume/mute switch.
The rear switch plug is under the passenger seat, on the far right. If you are able to adjust the volume, then the switch in the rear on the trunk is bad.
When you disconnect the front plug, (under the left side of stingray) the front speakers will shut off, but try the controls in the back, and on the head unit. If they work then, you have a bad switch on the handlebar.

If this works, or not, please post what you did, and how it turned out.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,534 Posts
Could also be an issue within the radio controller (the part under the buttons). There is firmware and circuitry on that board as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the responses and the useful proposals. I will check the connectors and wirings more thoroughly and disconnect the controls for the volume/mute switch as proposed. As soon as I have done this, I will return with a status report. It may take some while, due to other commitments. If lucky, there is no problem with the radio panel.

Have a safe ride
Jan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello guys,

It took longer time then expected to fiddle with the bike, due to severe health problems.

What I have done so far is that I have followed the advice to disconnect the wirings, rechecked every connector for any dirt with no luck, including using cleaning spray.

I have also dismantled and cleaned the switch on the handlebar with no luck.

So, it seems that the control element is the problem. The question is, are there ways to check the control element or do I need to buy a new one?

Regards

Jan

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,534 Posts
No real good way to test the controller but often the rubber around the switches has cracked and let water inside. Remove it and inspect the circuit board for corrosion. Maybe all it needs is a clean up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello John, thank you for your answer and suggestion.

I have now done as proposed with no luck. So it seems that the only thing left is to find an other control element. They are quite expensive as you know so I am now looking for a second hand unit in the first place.
Regards
Jan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Swede,

Another Swede here... :)

Do you still have the old radio unit?
I might be interested if it is fully functional.

Regards
Christian from South Sweden

·
Registered
169 Posts
Sorry to hear about all the trouble with the radio unit. Best thing I ever did was remove the whole unit and replaced with a SENA BT. Wired 12v cigarette plugs to the inside. Powers the V1, garmin and iphone. All can go BT to the headset. Much cheaper than the expense of a new OEM.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
storacm: You have a PM.

gbaltyn: Thank you for your input and thoughts but as I would like to have the controls on the handlebar operational I am now looking for a second hand control element.

Regards
Jan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi all!

Just a small update about the problem I had with the radio controls.

I have now finally bought a second hand control element and installed it yesterday. It was as suggested, by John I believe, the control element that was malfunctional so now everything is working as it should.

When examing the circuit board on the original control element it seems that some soldering are in need of resoldering.

Regards
Jan

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,534 Posts
Glad you found the problem. I would hang on to the original controller and find some one handy with a soldering iron to fix it as a backup. Enjoy and thanks for the feed back information.

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
Glad you found the problem. I would hang on to the original controller and find some one handy with a soldering iron to fix it as a backup. Enjoy and thanks for the feed back information.
John, John-- a soldering pencil, please! :)

N8QZ:D

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would be very pissed at the dealer for calling the radio bad if the new one did the same thing. Were you able to get your money back on that?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was for sure upset over the poor troubleshooting. Nevertheless, I had the radio unit for free as a part of a trade so no additional cost for me. My interest to use that mechanic in the future is as you understand rather low.

The end story is that I have an extra radio unit as spare and when finding a skilled person with the soldering iron I will have a spare control element - I hope.

The bike is ten years old and have 92000 km on the odometer and the plan is to keep it until its time to scrap it, as it is the perfect bike for me and my wife.

Regards
Jan

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
The bike is ten years old and have 92000 km on the odometer and the plan is to keep it until its time to scrap it, as it is the perfect bike for me and my wife.

Regards
Jan
Yup, they are keeper... I'd get rid of the wife before the bike! lol... nah, I'm keeping her too. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts