BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this obscure error:

1. The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters

When responding to a user and placing my response within the {QUOTE}... {/QUOTE} marks as generted (brackets replaced with curls)... You need at least something outside the quoted text to make the software see it as a valid post, even though the quoted text is quote long. Seems the software is too smart for it's own good... :cool:

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Not quite sure what is obsure on this error message.

It clearly tell you that you HAVE to write SOMETHING of your own, otherwise it's not going to accept that message, since a post that just consists of quoteing someone else doesn't really add value to the discussuion. And in my mind it really doesn't

Now having said that:

If you are quoting someone make sure that your response is outside the
PHP:
[quote]text[/quote]
so that the software knows that you added something.

Makes sense?

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Makes complete sense, Andy!

It came up in Nor. Cal. forum, where I was quoting a list of names from a previous post, and adding my name to the list within the "quotes" - there was no need to write anything additional in the message - the added value was my name addition to the list :)

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Well, all you need to do is add your name OUTSIDE the quote.

On another note: adding it inside the quote is lind of dangerous anyhow. Since everybody think you are just "quoting" they wouldn't expect that to change ...

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is true, Andy - I hadn't thought of it that way :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts