BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Is this tires OK or should I change.

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  joegottberg 
#1 ·
Long story.
I went to a Rally in a smallish town and since I thought I would get much more than the 400 kilos to the rally out of my tires, I did NOT replace them. Came to the rally and now it IS time to replace the tires. Problem was, no Metzeler ME880 available. Only Z rated Bridgestone Battleax front 120/70, but back only in 160/70.

Now I am going to another rally that is about 1800k's from home. The question is, should I rather replace them with the correct tires, or would they be OK for the trip and back.

I do not ride very fast, top speed maybe 160/170 and normally 130km/h cruising with the cruise control on.

#2 ·
Seriously consider holding out for the right tires.......they must be weight rated as well as speed rated for the heavy LT.........I don't have the book in front of me at the moment but maybe some one will jump in here................Good luck and B-Safe............

#3 · (Edited)
It'll be fine as long as nothing happens.. If you have say a blow out. Or a quick loss of pressure, You'll likely die. The tire will fold up under you and you'll completely lose control of the bike..

Like chasin' a pig barefoot on a freshly polished Ice rink...

Ok, now you decide..:)

John

#4 ·
As Palerider says, the tires must have the correct weight rating. They do not have to be Metzelers as long as you have the correct tire. According to my notes the following will be good for 2003 LT:

Front 120/70 ZR17 (58W)
Rear 160/70 R17 79V REINFORCED (79V Reinforced is very important)

Above are the radial tires that will work. You can also use bias ply tires,

Front 120/70B17 58W
REAR 160 / 70 VB17 79V REINFORCED.

HOPE THIS HELPS.

#5 ·
Without a picture, it is hard to comment.

Based on your own description, would you recommend to someone you love to ride 1800 km to and from another rally on "worn out" tires?

Find some that will fit, air freight or call someplace along the way.

Good Luck

Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.