BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking it's too much lean, but been ignoring it. Now a riding buddy is asking me about it. Is this normal?

Reactions: kbob12

Registered
As Tom Jones used to sing.
It's not unusual. 馃榿

I carry around a thick piece of rubber a bit like a puck and I use it if I park on soft ground or if I think it leans too much. Most of the time I try to park it on the center stand. Plus I love the wide eyed amazement from other riders when you just sit there and the bike parks it's self.

Premium Member
I've been thinking it's too much lean, but been ignoring it. Now a riding buddy is asking me about it. Is this normal? View attachment 173731
View attachment 173732
I purchased an EHCS kit from John Z. and it came with a side stand which is 1" shorter than my original side stand.
My side stand was approx. 10" from the center of the pivot bolt along the length of the stand to the base. The one which came with the kit is 9" long using the same measurement points. Mine now sits further over but I figure I might be able to get a little more gas in the tank now. ;) I generally use the EHCS and not the side stand except for filling up.

Registered
One thing I have noticed on my bike is the lean changes based on what I preload my shocks to. If I have them preloaded just for me, then the lean is much less than the lean when I have the preload set for my wife. I haven't actually measured the difference from no preload to full preload but if I recall correctly, the rear suspension can raise almost a full inch. That will make the lean more pronounced.

Try checking your rear shock preload. If it is already loaded, let the preload down to the bottom and check your lea angle. I bet it will be much less.

Premium Member
Mine leans about that much also. Not a problem most of the time, but it does take a little work to lean it up off the stand occasionally.

Reactions: kbob12

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, so the preload thing is a good point. You don't see it in this shot but we were on a trip this weekend to Sabillasville MD for the BMW BMW rally and road up there with bags full and the passenger seat full of my camping gear. So I had bumped up the preload, so that would explain the more exaggerated angle than I remember. Thanks, I'll lower the preload and see if it's less frightening.

Registered
Turn handlebars to the left to increase lean angle and to the right to decrease.
Helpful when the ground is slightly uneven and there is too much or too little lean angle.

Registered
OK, so the preload thing is a good point. You don't see it in this shot but we were on a trip this weekend to Sabillasville MD for the BMW BMW rally and road up there with bags full and the passenger seat full of my camping gear. So I had bumped up the preload, so that would explain the more exaggerated angle than I remember. Thanks, I'll lower the preload and see if it's less frightening.
How were the cicadas at Square Root Rally?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How were the cicadas at Square Root Rally?
Thick, I've never seen them like this before! In places there were swarms like locusts, absolutely crazy. When you can hear the cicadas over the wind noise at 70mph, you know there are a lot of them. I was thankful for that big windscreen then, even if I was hot.

Registered
Mine leans like that on the side stand. It makes me nervous. I seldom use the side stand for that reason. Besides, I have the EHCS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts