BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only my second post here. But I just want to say thanks for all whom replied and gave me advice about the 2003 LT I am interested in. I have drove the bike 3 times now, and I must say I have never driven such a bike. The only problem I see is when first starting it, it blows white smoke on initial startup. Now the guy told me this is normal for BMW's. He said when it's on the center stand, it does not do this. So I went the next day, and made sure the engine was cold to the touch, started the bike and sure enough, it did not smoke from exhaust. I am looking at a 2003 LT with 28,000 miles. He has all the maintenance receipts from the local BMW shop. I just want to make sure from actual owners if this is normal, or if I should beware of purchasing this bike? Thanks........

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Yup - seller is right, it's normal. Good rule of thumb to mitigate the smoking on start up is to keep the bike upright for 20-30 seconds after you turn off the engine, IF you're gonna use the sidestand. Enjoy your new ride!!

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Very normal. Because it is a flat four, when on the side stand the cylinder head is pointed toward the ground and some oil leaks past. It can be minimized when parking on the side stand by holding the bike upright after turning it off for the minute it takes to take off your helmet and gloves, then putting it down on the side stand (with it in gear to keep the bike from rolling forward).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I am new to this site, and sorry for posting something that was posted already. I actually found a similar post. I am glad to hear this is normal, and already made arrangements to pick up the bike tomorrow. Can't wait to get more familiar with this awesome bike. Thanks again.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,119 Posts
Zoekoo said:
Thanks for the replies. I am new to this site, and sorry for posting something that was posted already. I actually found a similar post. I am glad to hear this is normal, and already made arrangements to pick up the bike tomorrow. Can't wait to get more familiar with this awesome bike. Thanks again.
No problem on the post. In fact the best way to search is to actually make a post then go back and look at it. Down at the bottom of the page will be links to similar posts. Works better that the "search" function.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have an '03 also and I'm sure you'll enjoy the ride. I've had few problems with mine. Look at the weep hole drilling procedure...it's a bit arduous but can save you a lot of $$$ in a clutch repair. Minor thing...you might want is to replace the back speakers with something with more punch. I used Kickers and will probably replace the front ones also with the same. Much better sound.

This site is the most tremendous resource you and your bike will find. There's a gold mine of information here as well as folks with a tremendous amount of LT experience who are supportive and knowledgeable...more often than not, more knowledgeable than BMW techs.
These guys have saved my a$$ more than once with everything from quick responses to question to spare parts when I smacked a deer with my LT. Good riding to ya, and keep the rubber side down.

Reid

·
Old Dawg
3,284 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts