BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this normal for the front rubber brake Hose? This picture is the rubber line that comes down brake side of bike for front brakes. I'm getting front low pressure faults and going to replace brake lines with SPIEGLER PERFORMANCE lines. Also going to replace ABS pump on my 2002 K1200LT. Although no brake fluid leak I'm just wondering if the low pressure fault is being caused by the brake hose vs the ABS pump. Bike just had brake flush and fluid levels are correct, but fault still comes in when applying front brake hard or when rear brake is applied hard enough to kick in the front brake hard.

Thanks
Joe
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
I can't help you o n your questions, but I will tell you when you start to change the lines, be sure no one is around to hear you. That top front line is TOUGH.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
country-bum said:
I can't help you o n your questions, but I will tell you when you start to change the lines, be sure no one is around to hear you. That top front line is TOUGH.
I won't be screaming doing the work, but will be screaming when I hand over $770.00 to dealer for changing out brake lines and abs pump and that is for labor only!! Used pump $885 and lines another $234 make for a $1889 repair. New pump alone is $2500 plus another $400 install.
Joe
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,108 Posts
I doubt your issue is with the brake line as the only way it can cause low pressure is with a leak. The pressure sensor must be inside the ABS unit as there are no wires running to the front calipers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
this last statrment is untrue. If you line is starting to balloon it will cuase wild preasure variations. I know this for a fact as mine is bout ready to pop and it does some weird things. Its a simple fix though replace the brake lines and flush the system. If the abs isnt leaking i doubt its your issue and its far cheaper to replace the lines yourself and then see if it fixes your issue instead of poping on a new or used abs pump as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
I have a 99 k1200lt, I just had to replace all the brake lines, they just started falling apart, I think bmw should replace them but they say no, I am going to turn in a problem report to The DOT, I think certain safety components are supposed to have a 150,000 mile life, mine did not make it that far......the problem was at the same place as the first picture in this thread, the bend is too tight and the line starts to fail, along with the rubber part of the hose which crumbles......Kieth
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,285 Posts
Drumbum said:
this last statrment is untrue. If you line is starting to balloon it will cuase wild preasure variations. I know this for a fact as mine is bout ready to pop and it does some weird things. Its a simple fix though replace the brake lines and flush the system. If the abs isnt leaking i doubt its your issue and its far cheaper to replace the lines yourself and then see if it fixes your issue instead of poping on a new or used abs pump as well.
:corn:

You may want to consider spending some time investigating previous issues with the LT's ABS system before making such claims. The ABS unit does NOT have to leak in order to fail.

Dean knows what he's talking about ... :check:

...and you're running around with a line that's "bout ready to pop?" :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,285 Posts
Kieth said:
I have a 99 k1200lt, I just had to replace all the brake lines, they just started falling apart, I think bmw should replace them but they say no, I am going to turn in a problem report to The DOT, I think certain safety components are supposed to have a 150,000 mile life, mine did not make it that far......the problem was at the same place as the first picture in this thread, the bend is too tight and the line starts to fail, along with the rubber part of the hose which crumbles......Kieth
Brake lines are consumables and have a service life.

You expect something that is exposed to sunlight, ozone, rain, grit, high pressure and constant flexing to last 13 years?? (Your bike was manufactured in 2008 and the brake lines may indeed have been fabricated before then)

...and you don't want DOT - you want NHTSA - and they won't give your "complaint" any consideration, guaranteed.

In my opinion - and 240K miles of butt time - BMW's OEM LT brake lines are of excellent quality, and the LT's brakes are simply stunning considering they are asked to haul down an 800 lb. motorcycle.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top