BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a wet patch along the leading edge of the engine. I believe the timing chain is behind it.
The bike is in my work shop and hasn't moved for 8 weeks, only one drip has landed in this time - is it a sign of any particular problem, or something to leave for now?

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,243 Posts
I had a leak that I noticed at the area of the center stand, bad news for me.
Three seals and $1300 later no leaks. I am not sure if this is the same area you are noticing the leak.
Good luck

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi

Sounds like you've got the infamous timing cover leak. Life will have its little joke. :rolleyes:

FWIW I've got it as well. I notice oil staining on the front bottom right (as you look at it) of the timing case The leak stains the inside of my lower left panel. On a very long run I might even get the odd spot on my left boot.

The advice I've been given from this board is that it is more of an annoyance than a significant mechanical issue.

Having done the research on this board the cure is a strip down, thorough clean of surfaces and an application of permatex ultra black.

The strip down is quite involved so the advice was fix it when you get around to it. No instant panic.

Chris

1 - 3 of 3 Posts