BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have had your throttle cables replaced under warranty, I would like to know.

I have an '03 LTE with 33,000 miles and my cruise control has the 'I don't like to work when it's cold' problem. I took it in to my dealer yesterday (They will remain nameless at this point) and they say my throttle cables are stretched and are the cause of the cruise control not working. I said fine replace whatever it needs. But they say the throttle cables are not a warranty item and I'll have to pay.

What do you think?

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
lovetomotor said:
If you have had your throttle cables replaced under warranty, I would like to know.

I have an '03 LTE with 33,000 miles and my cruise control has the 'I don't like to work when it's cold' problem. I took it in to my dealer yesterday (They will remain nameless at this point) and they say my throttle cables are stretched and are the cause of the cruise control not working. I said fine replace whatever it needs. But they say the throttle cables are not a warranty item and I'll have to pay.

What do you think?
Just about no question, a non-warranty wear-item. In fact, IIRC BMWNA has some pretty clear service bulletin guidance to this effect, even with relatively low mileage cables. Sorry to be the bearer of the bad news.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
That's what I hate about warranties...

"We'll fix anything EXCEPT what will likely break or wear out during the warranty period."

Warranty should be warranty.. If it doesn't work right and the bike is under warranty then it should be fixed.... Under Warranty !

Another shouting match with the dealer ensues !

John

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
jpspen said:
That's what I hate about warranties...

"We'll fix anything EXCEPT what will likely break or wear out during the warranty period."

Warranty should be warranty.. If it doesn't work right and the bike is under warranty then it should be fixed.... Under Warranty !

Another shouting match with the dealer ensues !

John
Throttle cables wear out. So do tires and brake pads. Should these be warranty items also??

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
My dealer replaced my throttle cables without me even asking them to do it. No big deal, right?! Well...about two weeks later I had one fail on me. I used a radiator clamp to gimp back home. (Cruise control is great, isn't it?) I called the dealer and they offered to come and get the bike. I told them that wasn't necessary, but I needed to bring it in right away because I was leaving on a trip in a couple of days. They replaced the cables again at no cost to me...again.

I realize your situation is a little different. But I think the dealer should work with you a little on this. Call me naive.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Joe,
Keep your eyes on the NW forum. We should be having a tech session soon. Several of us have either seen or done a cable replacement and can help you out if needed.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Safety issue?

Throttle cable binding can cause problems. If it fails to "engage", might it fail to "disengage"... and "weren't you guys supposed to check that at the 12 and 24k service intervals?"

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Hey Ted.

Tires and Brakes are items that can be affected directly by the way you treat the bike.. On the other hand a cable is a cable and it should be designed in such a way that it doesn't quickly wear out.There's a stop on each end of travel, You can only twist the throttle so far before it hits the stop. You shouldn't be able to load the throttle cable in such a way that it causes it to stretch and fail. If so then it wasn't designed correctly.The closed stop is on the throttle body. The open stop should be on the twist grip...Yes, throttle cables break, eventually,,,,,, but shouldn't under the warranty period...IMHO

John

·
Registered
314 Posts
Had my throttle cables replaced by my dealer at 18K miles. Dealer (CalMoto) said it is under warranty since it is within the 3/36 BMW warranty. I also have extended warranty after the 3/36 which expires in 2010 and cables ARE covered too..... Feel free to mention CalMoto's (California BMW) stand on this.

·
IBR# 366
16,568 Posts
Mine were replaced under warranty, but that was several years back. BMW did have a Service Bulletin out that referred to upgraded throttle cables, but that had a cut-off date of 12/2003 IIRC. A small BMW shop run by real riders swapped them out when I was having some other work done, before I remembered to ask them about it. Sadly, that dealer no longer exists, replaced by a boutique shop located in a BMW auto dealership.

I doubt you'll have as much luck now, but it can't hurt to try somewhere else. Otherwise, like Brian said, we'll have another PNW tech session soon enough.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts