BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just returned from a 2500 miles trip and noticed this buildup of oil and road grime adjacent to the drive boot. This area was cleaned well with soapy water before I left so I don't think its just dust sticking to an oily spot.

Does anyone else get this bit of seepage past the boot and is it an issue? I'm not sure whats behind the boot and was wondering if its an indication that something may be leaking farther up the shaft.

Also, is it just an electrical tie wrap holding the back of the boot in place or is that a BMW part specific for the job?

Hope someone can pitch in here with some prior experience.

thanks

Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
loosen the clip holding the boot on, pull it back and see if the inside is clean. If oil is present then you probably have a seal gone bad.

·
Registered
577 Posts
my 05 looked a little worse and had a little more dust caked on. Loosened boot and found a small amount of fluid. exam concluded it was FD fluid. Dealer found FD seal as well as output shaft seal shot. the cause was a "dinged up" drive shaft. all replaced and runs like new!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guys.

I pulled the boot back and yes several drops of clean fluid spilled out, looks like rear drive fluid, does this mean the rear end needs to come off to change out the seal?

Anyone done this, can't seem to find any articles in the Hall of Wisdom or searches for this problem.

thanks

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
It could just as easerly be tranny fluid. In my expieriance, when the final goes, there is usually a great deal of fluid. A tranny leak can be very slow and also not a problem that needs dealing with for some time. (I have been riding on a small tranny leak for 3k)

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I had the same problem with my LT. I took it to the dealer and he said to watch it since It was such a small seep and the warrantee has lapsed. That was 30k miles ago and it has not worsened.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Another thing to think about and you need to look closely at the picture. The streaks are from top to bottom on the final drive housing. The over flows from the gas tank and the canister both tie off just above where it is the darkest. While you may have a few drops of oil inside the boot, I would suggest that is over flow coming down on the rear drive. BTDTGTTS

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
As long as there is nothing dripping, just clean and go. See how often you have to clean it. Mine does the same thing every 6,000 miles or so I clean it, it hasn't gotten any worse, don't lose enough of anything to replace between changes so just ride it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the replies, for now I'll ride and keep an eye on it.

Ron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts