BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just putting my feelers out to see if I should keep it or sell it. I put this ad together and I think this is the least I would let it go for based on how much I have invested, but maybe I need an education. Any thoughts or criticisms are welcome.

If this post is inappropriate or placing incorrectly I apologize in advance and will be glad to repost in another forum if guided there.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/2833733971.html

Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I purchased a 2005, with 19,000 miles, in good conditions, without the extras you have. I purchased it in December 2009 for $12,000. I'm in the DC area.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Good luck with that. I hope you can get a good price for it but just remember its 7 years old. I bought my 2003 in 2005 only 2 years old with only 1300 miles on it and paid less.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not to be a kill joy but KBB has your bike listed in excellent condition as $9765. NADA has it $8,025 to $10,156. You've got some great add ons and upgrades but generally those are write-offs when it comes time to sell.The other things you probably need to consider is the time of year (for most of the country), and the economy. I think most folks would agree with me that, regardless of where you live, winter is the worst time to sell the bike. It's a great time to buy a bike though. I picked up a 2000 LT with 40K on it for $4000 in December. My opinion is that you might want to re-think your price. But regardless, good luck with the sale!
FD

·
Registered
635 Posts
Agree with the others. You most likely will realize a better return, if you remove the farkels where possible and sell them separately if total $ received is most important. The only advantage to leaving the farkels on is if you have the bike priced very close to blue book value and a competitor offers a bike of same condition, but little or no farkels.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Around here we ride all year. It was 77 degrees yesterday and last Saturday I could not find a parking spot for my bike (motorcycle only parking) at one of the local hangouts. So I am not sure that has too much to do with demand in SO Cal..

The resale value of any BMW compared to many other bikes is kind of sickening. I guess I should be glad I didn't take the out the door hit thee first owner took. He also put most of the add-on into it.

My reasons for selling are:

The bike is just too heavy. The cost and time to maintain it, even doing all the service myself, is outrageous. And last but not least is the constant fear of some catastrophic failure like, clutch, ABS or Final drive (or all of those). At roughly 3000.00 each at dealer prices to fix those, it would make resale an even bigger looser. I know myself and the first one of those to go I'd get rid of it at any price. So why not try now before it happens.

Anyway, thanks for listening and the pricing advice. I'm in no rush and the ads on Craigslist and Cycle Trader are free.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I had an 02, put 135k miles on it before I totaled it.

and unfortunately, near totaled myself. :cool:

So my wife is afraid I can't hold an LT up anymore with my damaged right side. We did sit on the new GTL and I think I can handle that one 2-up (she still wants to test ride first), so that is the answer if I do 2-up riding anymore.

She won't get withint a 3' radius of the K1300S, she had ONE ride on the K1200S I had before, that was it :histerica

Otherwise, I'd pay near what you are asking with most if not all the accessories because it is an 05 with the upgrades over the 02. Just have to find the person willing to pay some extra for the add-ons.

Its a great looking bike. its about 1/3 the cost of a new GTL. If I had a new right shoulder I'd be all over this LT as an answer to 2-up riding.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,157 Posts
Tony, just as a reference I paid around $15k for my 05, same color as yours, with just 10k miles 3 years ago. I now have around 66k miles.
It didn't come with any farkles though.
I think that you probably should leave the GPS as that model is now outdated is nicely integrated on your bike.
I am sure you can sell the mirrors quickly, and you probably can sell/swap your Rocky Meyer seats with a current LT owner and recoup some of your cost.

I am with you on the "heavy" issue. Have you tried an RT? You might like it better.

You seem to have done quite well with the maintenance. I think many LT owners over do the maintenance, JM2CW. I did a major maintenance before CCR last year, including bleeding brakes and changing out coolant, made new felt pads for the shift linkage, and new tires. Got most of my stuff from Beemer Boneyard. Total cost wasn't bad especially amortized over 2-3 years.

As far as issues the 05 has seen a lot less failures than earlier models.
I try to remember all this when I get tempted to sell and get a k1600, except that my LT is paid for.

Maybe in another 2 years or so I'll try to sell and pick up a slightly used k16 already depreciated...;)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So today I was offered 8500.00 firm. This past Saturday I rode 572 miles in some of the worst conditions imaginable Rain, 45-55 MPH cross winds, temps in the low 40s. I could not have imagined being on a different bike during that ride. So taking all of this into consideration, I think I am left with only one option. Buy a third bike for the short rides in the twisters. Looks like the V-Strom may be back in the mix soon.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Tony,

Why would you give a $399.00 V1 away with your LT? That's just crazy bro'! :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
JATownsend said:
Tony,

Why would you give a $399.00 V1 away with your LT? That's just crazy bro'! :confused:
As some have said, the only reason to leave accessories on the bike is to help push the sale. You can get more by selling them on the side, but it might take longer to sell the bike. The accessories make it stand out. You'll be lucky to get more than any book, but the accessories are the glitter to make the sale.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,157 Posts
tonygret said:
So today I was offered 8500.00 firm. This past Saturday I rode 572 miles in some of the worst conditions imaginable Rain, 45-55 MPH cross winds, temps in the low 40s. I could not have imagined being on a different bike during that ride. So taking all of this into consideration, I think I am left with only one option. Buy a third bike for the short rides in the twisters. Looks like the V-Strom may be back in the mix soon.
Good call on a smaller, lighter bike for the local hauls IMHO. The LT is indeed the "weather" bike to ride...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JATownsend said:
Tony,

The ad says those (V1) are options they can buy from me for an additional cost.

·
Premium Member
2,933 Posts
tonygret said:
I ride the K75 to work (14 mi RT) and around town but hit the roads on the LT on the week ends! Yaaahooo! :dance:

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Why aren't you using the lowrider for zipping around town? I have a softtail deuce that's my running around town and day rider. I love it, way more than the LT for short rides. Couldn't consider giving up the LT (except for a 1600) for riding with the wife or our yearly guy rides of 3,000+ miles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts