BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I ride an F800GS and I would like to add a two up tourer to the stable. I've owned lots of bikes from dirt bikes, KLR's, to FJR's, Tigers, etc. The F800 is my first BMW. It's a great bike.

I found an 03 LT "custom" (I think it's the highest trim level), with heated corbin seats, motolights, and a few other goodies. It's got 55k miles and has been serviced and new tires. They want $7999 for the bike.

Does that sound like a decent price? I am inclined to think so, but I don't really know.

Also, when I go to ride the bike, anything in particular I should look for, being an 03 with 55k?

I also contemplated a R12RT. But it seems the LT would have better passenger comfort. Plus I will pay more for the RT since it came out in 05.

Thanks for any advice!

Ian S.
admin, klr650.net

·
Registered
247 Posts
I believe that price is high. NADA blue book value ranges from $5575 to $6845. See http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=1-23-38-5697-0-0-0&l=1&w=23&p=38&f=5698&m=1036&d=1200001209&y=2003&ml=B&z=90027&gc=MC&gtc=MC

Besides, with today's economy and the fact that the riding season for 2010 is basically over (although I ride all winter here in NJ), it is a buyers market.

Check out the national version of Craigs List. See http://craiglook.com/all.html?q=k1200lt+2003&s=1 They have plenty of bikes being sold privately for a lot less.

·
Premium Member
8,156 Posts
I Would agree that the price is high for an 03. The mileage is not bad, but can you describe what other "goodies" were added on?
Start negotiating at 6k and don't go a penny over 6.2K. There are many LTs out there, including the classified section of this forum. As mentioned earlier it is a buyer's market.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have an '03 LTE with 76,000 miles on it and it has been flawless. Only the trunk latch failed and Ride West BMW in Seattle replaced it under warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Another question...

I found a local 99 K1200LT that has 147k miles on it (not a typo!). New clutch and transmission at 75k. I rode the bike - it rides just fine. Nothing wrong with it that I could find.

He wants $2,700 for the bike. The maintenance has been done by him since new... but only thing is, he says he has never checked the valves. That kinda worries me.

Should I run away from this bike? Or for $2,700 - is it a worthy gamble?

Thanks
Ian

·
Registered
9 Posts
For $2700 it's a worthy gamble! It's got to be worth more than that parted out! I've seen several with way more mileage than that. Bought a 1988 Gl1500 Goldwing recently I sold to a buddy for $2800 with a 195k and he has quickly run it over the double century mark of 200K. The K1200lt will do it as well. Sure you might have trouble but for that kind of money your risk is practically nothing.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Maniac28 said:
... it rides just fine. Nothing wrong with it that I could find. He wants $2,700 for the bike. The maintenance has been done by him since new... but only thing is, he says he has never checked the valves. That kinda worries me.
You could get the cylinder compression and balance checked, and also check valve clearances, but from what I read, valve wear can be almost negligible over an incredible amount of miles.

You could also just spend the $2,700 and ride it as far as ti will go. Then, if it proves unreliable, part it out. as has been suggested...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I just bought the high mileage bike. I figure for that much money, like you guys said, there isn't much risk. I am a capable wrench so I figure I will do a few things on it before taking any long rides.

I will keep you all updated on my "new" (haha!) LT.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Good luck with your "new" bike. They seem to run forever. If I can buy mine from the insurance company, I think I'll rebuild it and put another 75K on it.......... :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts