BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for a quicker way to attach / detach my tail bag, so I came up with this.

Suddenly I realized............... this COULD be a Ghetto Mod.

Good Times.

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well, it appears that bungy cords are involved, so yes it is.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Cleanly done ... tho it's strength and integrity only good as the anchor :( ... which sadly attached to flimsy plastic.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Nope, sorry Grasshopper.

A true ghetto mod has got to look OEM. ;)

Personally, I would have used two hog rings to secure the end of each bungee covered with black shrink tube - the kind with heat sensitive glue on the inside. I do, however, like the way you reinforced the underside. Now we're getting somewhere.

Besides that, what happens to the tail bag when you really nail a bump? :eek:

It's gonna smack you upside your noggin! :rotf:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ouch !
Shot down by the king of the Ghetto Mod.
Well.........if at first we don't succeed........
I'll do the shrink tube thing, and see how that works out.

Thanks for your support.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
I think it looks good.

My only concern is the elastic bungee.. Be careful as they have been known to slip/break and cause the carrying case to get between the fender and the wheel.

I like the quick connect, disconnect and just ended up strapping a case to the rack when I used mine. It was always a challenge to get something that would fit and go on quickly. I ended up using the elastic bands that have clips in the middle. I think they are called Rook straps or something like that.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
rhawk said:
Ouch !
Shot down by the king of the Ghetto Mod.
Well.........if at first we don't succeed........
I'll do the shrink tube thing, and see how that works out.

Thanks for your support.
Nah, I'm still in training too. ;)
Ari is the undisputed KING! All hail Ari! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Hey, at least you used good quality bungee cord. :thumb:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE

Ron, I used your suggestion, and terminated the bungees with a couple bundle ties and shrink tubing, in an effort to get the 'OEM' look (Fieldsheer OEM that is).
The bungees are part of the tail bag when you buy it, and the Mfr expects you to use them to secure the bag to your rack.

? Anyone else care to show their Ghetto Mods ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
I have to ask, why?

The LT has a very nice top case.

I know mods don't need to be understood by the casual observer, but........

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
EricSuz said:
I have to ask, why?

The LT has a very nice top case.

I know mods don't need to be understood by the casual observer, but........

My thoughts exactly! Would it be wrong to call it an Obamamod? Change to something that does not need to be changed? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Would it be wrong to call it an Obamamod?
And a change that's actually for the worse? Exactly right.

The ghetto part is removing the top case. What you do after that is not relevant.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
rhawk said:
UPDATE

Ron, I used your suggestion, and terminated the bungees with a couple bundle ties and shrink tubing, in an effort to get the 'OEM' look (Fieldsheer OEM that is).
The bungees are part of the tail bag when you buy it, and the Mfr expects you to use them to secure the bag to your rack.

? Anyone else care to show their Ghetto Mods ?
Lookin' good! :check:

...but I was talkin' bout hog rings, which are metal clips that will crimp the bungee together forever.

Looks like you used nylon wire ties? They'll last for a while, but often get brittle over time and break when you least expect it.

The hog rings require a special pair of pliers to install - most good hardware stores have them and if not an upholstery supply house will.

The thang about those danged bungees is someone is gonna' get an eye poked out! ;)

(It HAS happened - many times) :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
calvarez said:
And a change that's actually for the worse? Exactly right.

The ghetto part is removing the top case. What you do after that is not relevant.
"Worse" :confused:

I've ALWAYS liked my Fort Worth rack and the versatility, and dramatically improved handling and looks it offers.

I can pack a simple tail bag or HUGE waterproof duffel on the back. I can just grab it and run.

Whenever I plan on a solo tour the top case comes OFF. After you've done it a couple of times it takes all of five minutes on or off with a helper... While BMW did not make it "convenient" it is very easy to do with a little practice. This is a 12 year old design after all. :rolleyes:

No doubt BMW saw the number of LT owners doing exactly this and offered up the easily removable top case on the GTL...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A couple of years ago, I was at BMW of western Oregon, and a representative of BMW Motorrad asked me what I would like to see changed about the LT.
I told him that the best thing that they could do was to make the top case easily removable, with a factory rack. (there must be some reason for the existence of the Ft.Worth rack).

The LT topcase weighs 36 lbs empty.

If you could shed 36 lbs off the top of your bike, and replace it with a soft tail bag that weighs 2 lbs (for commuting or day trips)....................................would you do it ?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
But your replacing it with a case that holds just as much crap? Sorry, I think it ruins the lines of the bike.

But I guess to each his own, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and a bunch of other stupid says that apply here.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I can see removing the top box if you do not ride two-up, but I do agree with 1019 that putting a black square bag that holds about the same is just making it look worse.

I do give you A for effort for making it functional and useful.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Man, you guys are harsh. :(

Until you've actually removed the trunk and ridden with it off... the LT feels completely different with a lower cg and better aerodynamics. Especially at high speeds - it actually slips through the air. (I also think it looks better)

The whole point of ghetto mods is "customizing" a vehicle to your own likes and having the pride of saying that you did it.

Kind of like what I just spent the last 8 months working on.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
What do you call that ? It looks like a lot of fun !
Is it a floating campsite ?

SAY .....Here's another 'G' Mod that I did, (for our community to critique)
so that I could use an automotive Garmin GPS on the LT. (205W).

?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 48 Posts