BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to try mounting my new Garmin 550 ti the clutch reservoir. Is there a simple way to get the wires directly to the battery without removing tupperware? If I'm not happy with the install, I will go ahead and get the tray for the dash and use the dash light option.
Thanks
Lkniess

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,545 Posts
Not unless you own a trained Hamster to pull the wires through for you.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
"Is there a simple way to get the wires directly to the battery without removing tupperware?"
Doesn't anybody ever actually read the question?
The answer is YES, there is an easy way.
Duct tape the wire to the handlebars, across the stingray, over the oddements box, and under the seat. It'll look like $hit, but it IS simple!

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Removing the plastic is not hard and will allow you to do a clean job. You also might need to remove the plastic on the handle bar.

Take your time and get a piece of cardboard. Outline the different pieces of plastic and stick each screw where it goes inside the outline. I did that for a while before I remembered where each one went.

Keep a small box handy for all of the leftover screws too. You'll find places for them later.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I have a large spool of aluminum electric fence wire left over from my farm days. It is very soft and pliable and I have had great success routing wires around the stingray by just removing one of the large side covers. Really quite easy to do. Run the wire backwards along the run (from the battery side toward the load). You may have to punch it through a space, pull some extra out and then continue the run. When the wire pokes out at your accessory make a very tight loop at the end, thread your wire(s) through the loop, put a turn or two of electricians tape around the wire/loop and pull it back toward the battery. You can buy small spools of this wire at any farm store and likely at some well stocked hardware stores.

My runs are very sanitary and well laced to the existing wire harness. (IMHO)

Loren

·
Registered
117 Posts
lkniess said:
I am going to try mounting my new Garmin 550 ti the clutch reservoir. Is there a simple way to get the wires directly to the battery without removing tupperware? If I'm not happy with the install, I will go ahead and get the tray for the dash and use the dash light option.
Thanks
Lkniess
The LT doesn't have the pre-wired GPS power plug on the steering head??

It was THAT simple on the RT. It was already wired, just plugged it in and WENT!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I have a large spool of aluminum electric fence wire left over from my farm days. It is very soft and pliable and I have had great success routing wires around the stingray by just removing one of the large side covers. Really quite easy to do. Run the wire backwards along the run (from the battery side toward the load). You may have to punch it through a space, pull some extra out and then continue the run. When the wire pokes out at your accessory make a very tight loop at the end, thread you wire(s) through the loop and pull it back toward the battery. You can buy small spools of this wire at any farm store and likely at some well stocked hardware stores.

My runs are very sanitary and well laced to the existing wire harness. (IMHO)

Loren

·
Registered
530 Posts
jzeiler said:
Not unless you own a trained Hamster to pull the wires through for you.
:histerica :histerica
Ya got one by chance?!! :rotf:

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
BlauBeeMr said:
:histerica :histerica
Ya got one by chance?!! :rotf:
I was not 'issued' one I must not need it...

Regarding the issue of running the wire.. yeah.. just tape to the surface... then if you like it, pull the tupperware.. it aint that big a deal!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts