BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read an article in On The Level about adjusting the suspension on bikes and its importance for each of us. I also heard it discussed at a seminar at the Kansas City Rally earlier this summer and I finally got in my Clymer and could not find anything in it as far as adjusting the LT suspension.

Is there adjustments that we can do to better set the bike up for our individual tastes and if so what are they and how are they done?

According to the information I have received, we should all be setting the bikes we ride up to our specific needs and requirements instead of just riding what we are sold, so I would like to try and do that if I can.

Any help will be appreciated.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Yes . under the set you will see a round knob with a rubber hose attached to it. you can adjust the "Pre load" with it. Do a search for "pre Load" & you can read for hours about it. ;)

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The article and seminar talked about adjusting the sag and then the dampening. I knew of the adjustment under the seat and thought there may be others that I was unaware of. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Do you have stock or after market shocks? If after market ie: Ohlins, you can get good info on their web sites.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Ohlins or Wilbur suspension front and rear will set you right up to adjust to your hearts content. The company you buy them from will gather pertinent info about you, your passenger, and your riding style and set them up for you before they ship.

One advantage to each is that either one will reduce the amount of pre-load you need to set by well over $1,000!

Loren

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It sounds like if I want to make more adjustments, I will have to look into new suspension front and rear. I guess I'll keep adjusting the preload until the time I need to replace the suspension, or some unknown windfall happens to fall into my lap. :rotf:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts