BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had the chance to ride a BMW but I had narrowed my search down to the R1200RT because of the high level of comfort and because it seems like a great 2-up bike.

But my wife has always wanted a R1200R for herself and we will make that happen this summer, but the more that I look into the R1200R, I'm really starting to wonder if it might not be more fun and more versatile then the R1200RT.

So, instead of us riding 2-up on the R1200RT, maybe going out with each an R1200R would be even better. This is an option.

I was pricing the R against the RT, and the price difference comes in about $5000.00 (Canadian) more for RT. But then again, you'd have to add a windshield and BMW system panniers to the R1200R and I would imagine that that wouldn't be cheap. Plus, the RT has a electric powered windshield and the optional cruise control feature, so you do get what you pay for in the more expensive RT.

But on the other hand, the R1200R is something that I'd be more likely to take anywhere, like down dirt or gravel roads such in camp grounds, etc...and do some light adventuring touring with but with all of that nice plastic, etc... on the R1200RT, I'd be much more likely to play it safe and baby the thing and just go on really decent roads, which is kind of limiting.

I really thought that the RT would be the one but the more that I think about it, maybe the R1200R would be the best bang-for-the-buck in that it would allow me to do more with it.

I know that everything is a trade-off in life, so maybe the fact that you get more wind protection on the RT makes it feel much more like a "touring" bike.

For those of you that have ridden both bikes, does the big RT fairing out front take away anything from the riding experience? Have you owned both bikes and if so, could you share your thoughts on how they stack up against each other?

Can the R1200R be made comfortable as a 2-up bike? Just in case I take my son or my Dad for a ride.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I test rode both, I loved the RT not so much the R. Nothing anyone would have to say could change my mind. There will be others who rode both and felt the exact opposite. It's a decision you have to make so ride both or buy one of each. There might be times you want to tour two up. For the exploring days borrow your wifes R :D

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
The R will wheely with a light throttle. And you are right about adding all the farkles. I did the same with my R1150R. Still ended up on a RT.
It is the best for me. :bmw:

·
Registered
688 Posts
I am lucky to have both a LT and a R1200R. The R could be toured on the way I have it equipped, but why? The LT is for long distance comfort. The R is more open, noisier, has a harsher ride and even my aftermarket seat makes more than 400 miles in a day a little uncomfortable. The R is a lot more fun to ride in the twisties and is easier in town, no matter what the traffic. It accelerates faster and stops faster and is just plain fun to ride. But as they say, it aint no LT. One more thing on the R. Even though it has passenger footpegs, its a one person bike, if you ask me, especially on a day ride. Short distances ok.

Now comparing to a RT. I would say the same thing as above as IMHO, the RT is 75% of an LT.

Ultra LT

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I had an "R" bike, then I got an "RT"... maybe that will be a data point for you... but I digress.

The R is fun, easy to work on, easy to clean, and easy to get cold and windy and uncomfortable on.

The RT offers more creature comforts, comes with more equipment, and is heavier, bulkier more storage places, etc. If you are going to ride 2-up... RT with no further discussion.

In my opinion, if you mostly ride Touring style... then the RT. If you do more short and sporty rides, then get a Triumph... just kidding.... sorta.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"For the exploring days borrow your wife's :D "

She reluctantly said that I could ride her future bike but it sounds like it would be on a strictly limited basis, I'm afraid. :D

When all is said and done, it keeps coming back to the RT, to me, although no bike can do it all, it looks like the RT is the bike that would suit me the most. I even find it one of the best looking bikes out there too, for what that's worth.

I like that you can get it with ABS brakes and cruise control, that's something that I would surely appreciate. And then there's the tire pressure monitor and traction control options, those seem like nice add-ons too.

I doubt that I'd bother spending extra cash for the sound system though, it seems like a lot of extra money for something that I'd hardly use. But YMMV.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
If you have the RT, and want to get sporty... take the side cases off....

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I went with the RR because it was about $5K cheaper than a GS or RT initially. Then the farkle attacks came, and I ended up with the cost of the RT anyway. I still think the RR is the most versatile bike that BMW does not know how to market. It is, in fact, the RT without about 80 pounds of plastic bits. The RT is obviously much better in the wind and weather protection department, which for some of us, is a problem when you live in a hot area like south Louisiana as I do. The RT is so good at wind protection that it is absolutely miserable in our summer time.

With the setup I have, the BMW system cases and large top-case, I can carry the same load as the RT, and it is not bad two up with the Rick Mayer seat I changed to. I have a Cal-Sci windscreen with the tilt back modification many of us have performed, and it is a great compromise of not having a full fairing. I have the GS handguards on mine, along with a Throttlemeister for cruise control. A mod I am looking at for this year is a suspension upgrade, probably to Wilburs, which will

The RT electronic cruise is way cool, and has advantages over the Throttlemeister, but either one works for me.

The RR is easier to work on due to lack of plastic, which also translates to cheaper labor charges for shop work.

Either machine is a great choice, so it sounds like you get the RT and the wife gets the RR. Then you can swap off occasionally ! Best of both worlds. Good luck on your tough choice. You cannot go wrong with either bike.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Do the RT and RR use the same final drive?

Comments about the RR accelerating faster and wheeling with light throttle are interesting. It seems hard to believe that the 80 - 100 pounds would make that much difference if the gearing is the same.

Regards,

·
Registered
181 Posts
+1 with Hopz. If you take the panniers off and add a sport windshield, the RT is a great deal of fun and looks great. I put all my road goodies into the RT tank bag and head for the twisties.

Where I live, getting to the twisties is a journey in itself. At least 100 miles to enjoy 20 miles of curves and switchbacks. The journey to and from the twisties is MUCH more comfortable on the RT and it still handles quite well.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I originally wanted an RT and rode a few. Once the wife sat on a RT and a LT the search was over. We bought a used LT and love it. I am lucky enough to also own a RR. I got a great deal on a 2007 last year. It is a blast to ride. It is the most fun bike I have owned since my old R100S. Riding naked is not for everyone but I love it. If I had to pick and I was going to be touring and especially with two up it would be the RT. As was said before, the RR has pegs but excels as a one up bike.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have ridden the R and it is a fun bike but apart from being a bit lighter, naked and different ergo's, it is the same bike.
If you want a real allrounder take a run on a GSA before you put your ink on paper.
They can be purchased with all of the farkles that you mention that you would like on the RT.
I love my RT but I also have a little R1100S keeping her company in the garage for those days when I want to feel the breeze and the boy that resides inside me. :bmw:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
cessna said:
Do the RT and RR use the same final drive?

Comments about the RR accelerating faster and wheeling with light throttle are interesting. It seems hard to believe that the 80 - 100 pounds would make that much difference if the gearing is the same.

Regards,
The bikes are essentially the same chassis and running gear. The weight difference (mostly the extra plastic and mounting brackets on the RT) does make a noticeable difference in performance (horsepower to weight ratio and the physics involved) , and the slightly higher center of gravity in the RT bothers some people when riding at low speeds in parking lots and such. Either bike is a lot of fun, and you will love either one.

The suggestion for the GS is good too, but be aware that the standard GS buyers mostly face the same problem we have with the RR vs RT: Most of the owners end up adding the stuff that is standard in the GSA, along with the added cost closing in on what the GSA would have cost anyway. The GSA would have been the better choice from the outset from an economic analysis point of view.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You got it the r1200rt is the perfect two up bike. Comfort for you and the gal on the back. I would not want a roadster for touring. The roadster is a good short distance bike for cafe racing from bar to bar or short trips in nice weather.

·
Registered
747 Posts
You do not give your location or any indication of whether you would do longer trips in funky weather. If you're a serious tourer especially where it gets cold or wet, the RT is a better choice though the lighter R has advantages if one wants to ride fire roads or similar much (as would a GS). The RT is perhaps the most comfortable long distance tourer made unless you want something much heavier and larger- its no accident so many long distance riders own them. Riding solo you can go forever with what it can carry and even with spouse, hoteling it fine with judicious packing (though camping for two puts a real premium on your gear slection and packing skills.
One of each would be sweet as long as your wife doesn't club you and you can fit RT panniers to the R. The way I get around the "riding her bike" with my female riding companion is that I am her free mechanic for an R1100S so I get to ride it once in a while. (Buts too slow for serious play for my taste despite its compact size. I prefer the K1200RS with Ohlins for that stuff- an "adequately powered" , comfortable, gentleman's play bike and very solid in high speed sweepers though another few ponies even there wouldn't hurt).
BTW, women can ride the RT and GS with a little practice and any needed ergo adjustments though I think most prefer smaller scale bikes. (My friend does and she used to own K bikes and early R bikes that all went coast to coast multiple times. I think men take for granted the comfort with handling larger bikes that comes from being taller, heavier, and stronger and even very experienced female riders typically feel uncomfortable on larger models at first especially if average height or less. Whatever bike she gets- make certain it is HER choice even if its one of the smaller cruiser bikes because of the low seat.) .At present there is a shortage of first class regular mid size bikes to pick from so an R would probably be fine but don't overlook a lightly used R1100S if you know of any or even one of the 800 road bikes or an F650GS if you want to fiddle the ergos a bit for her. The mid size ones can easily keep up for tours and feel quite light in operation. And if you don't mind if she blows your helmet off, there's always the S1000RR fitted with high bars like the Wunderlich guys did for their "special" with the Gulf Porsche paint colors. Send a few $k fixing the ergos and adding some soft luggage and she'll be the envy of many as well as uncatchable if her skills are decent.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Now comparing to a RT. I would say the same thing as above as IMHO, the RT is 75% of an LT.

Actually, it's 73% of the LT, weight that is.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
The R is a great looking bike, lite and handles well, BUT I carry a passenger a lot. I ride mostly touring bikes with all the bells and have for years... but I am relatively new to BMW's. I traded off my 2010 HD tour for my current 2011RT mainly to shed some weight. While not anywhere near as comfy in stock dress as the HD, I have been adding small mods to get it there. Lowered passenger peg brackets, additional Givi pad added below the stock pad on the 49L trunk and a tour comfort seat which is NOT tour comfortable (maybe 200 mile comfy at most). We'll be adding a Russel seat to address that.
So long and short is the RT will need a few minor adjustments in order to be a good full tour TWO-up ride, but that has been my experience on all bikes. Given the choice between the RT and R for 2-up? The RT wins every time.

Being new to BMW motorcycles and being a rider who racks up lots of miles, my only real concern is how frequent maintenance requirements will affect long distance travel. I suppose time will tell.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts