BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in central Florida where the temps usually stay in the 80's except for a few week cooler period. My question to you: Is the LT a heat machine?? My only reference is my 95 K1100LT that you could roast your peanuts on(please excuse this graphic reference). I was never so happy(and sad) to see a bike go. It was simply not enjoyable to ride because of the heat. The R1100Rt was much much cooler! I do understand the difference between the Boxer and the Brick so I'm not that new, I am just asking if the LT has improved to a acceptable hot weather machine??
Thank you for your replies.....
Hip
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
748 Posts
For what it's worth, I think that the LT is pretty reasonable in the warm weather with the windshield all the way down and the wings turned in. It has a lot of protection for the cooler weather, though you don't really care about that!

Ray
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
14,259 Posts
The only time I have felt the heat is when I don't wear pants under my mesh gear. And at 99 degrees, 95 % humidity it wasn't that bad. I wore long socks and LD comfort shorts only under my first gear meshtex pants on the trip up to Wisconson last year and I did notice a bit of heat but it was not unpleasant. I don't even notice it if I have jeans on under the mesh gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
I bought my 05 LT at Daytona BMW when I lived in Cocoa and found it much more comfortable in the summer than the RoadGlide I traded in on it. I now live in Utah and the LT is comfy in the summer and pure joy in the cooler months. Not related, but the LT is really amazing in the canyons and mountain roads. I also have a sport bike and a dual purpose but am always amazed when I get back on the LT and remind myself what a great bike it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,669 Posts
Not at all! Gets pretty warm here :eek: Rode to Monterey Ca. last summer and went through Death Valley and Phoenix @ noon/110+ deg. 2-up and wasn't to bad ;) Locally its not even a thought :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,165 Posts
The LT is one of the best bikes out there for keeping engine heat off the rider. So much so that in winter one would wish that some of it could easily be funneled back onto the rider. I would sometimes stick my knees out in cold weather to be able to feel a little of the heat from the radiators on the inside of my lower legs. Otherwise it just blows around you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
280 Posts
dshealey said:
The LT is one of the best bikes out there for keeping engine heat off the rider. So much so that in winter one would wish that some of it could easily be funneled back onto the rider. I would sometimes stick my knees out in cold weather to be able to feel a little of the heat from the radiators on the inside of my lower legs. Otherwise it just blows around you.
After a weekend of riding with my Coast Guard friend and his FLHTCUI (HD Bagger) at every stop he was complaining about the engine heat coming up and around his legs, I was nice and comfortable on my 03 LT. I find it much cooler and a joy over my 97 FXD.
Loving every minute of it!
Heck, I don't even mind taking off the plastic anymore!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,549 Posts
One thing that sold me on the LT was how much cooler it was than a wing; HD was a non-issue for me (they proved to me I should never buy another HD).

I test rode a wing when it was only in the upper 90sF in stop and go--it roasted my left boot. That was one of the reasons I chose the LT over the wing.

Bob, 00LT
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
588 Posts
I remember when the full fairing K bikes first came out. The heat was unbearable.

The LT runs pretty cool in the Houston summers. If it runs a little hot for your taste, try some synthetic motor oil and propylene glycol coolant. Both lowered the temps a little for me.
 

·
Human Behaviour Analyst
Joined
·
267 Posts
LT's Ice Cold compared to some

I have never had anything hotter between my legs .... and I mean EVER :mad: -- than a 2007 Harley Ultra-Glide in traffic on a hot day. Thank goodness it was a rental and I could drop it back to the dealer. :)
If you prefer to not make a "relative to" comparison -- there is very little engine heat hitting the LT driver ........ almost imperceptible.
Keir
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you!

I am sooooo glad that the group of you agree that the LT is also good in the summer. My old K11LT would roast you! Thank you for the replies! I'm gonna buy this 2000 LT if the test ride goes well. I have a couple friends that bought the 06/07 HD and had to buy the heat deflectors to keep some of the heat off the inner thighs. I think the HD is interesting but just not for me. I really enjoy the 30 min wash and dry time over my buddies that spend 1-2 hrs cleaning and polishing all the bling and cringe at every puddle. I will be happy to be on another Beemer and hopefully the LT will live up to my expectations!
Thanks again,
Hip
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,916 Posts
No.................................
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
In Southern Arizona it can get just a tad hot. Not covering your seat during the day can definitely cause a little discomfort and making sure your seat heater is off helps too ! Experience talking here. But air movement while riding is as good as it can get.

Haven't figured out how the factory A/C works yet but everything else on the bike does. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Cooler than most!

My pre-LT ride was a HD FLHTC (Classic). When you would stop, the heat would broil you. I once rode a Valkerie which did the same ALL THE TIME! I couldn't wait to get off that toaster!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,206 Posts
hip001 said:
I live in central Florida where the temps usually stay in the 80's except for a few week cooler period. My question to you: Is the LT a heat machine?? My only reference is my 95 K1100LT that you could roast your peanuts on(please excuse this graphic reference). I was never so happy(and sad) to see a bike go. It was simply not enjoyable to ride because of the heat. The R1100Rt was much much cooler! I do understand the difference between the Boxer and the Brick so I'm not that new, I am just asking if the LT has improved to a acceptable hot weather machine??
Thank you for your replies.....
Hip
I ride year around in Arizona. No heat problems. a lot better than wing, HD and Victory Vision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
938 Posts
I love my 1100, but it gets a bit hot when it is above 80. There is no engine heat at all from the 1200 compared to the 1100.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
When I bought my LT last year, I also took a test drive on a Goldwing. The LT passed on very little heat compared to the wing. I also added a beadrider seat cover that helps keeps me cooler.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,305 Posts
Another 'Zonie here. Any heat from the LT is directed away out to the side away from the rider.

I was stuck in traffic in Spokane WA a couple of years ago on a 99 F day when two HD's pulled up, one on each side, at a light. They proceeded to yell at each other about how hot it must be to be wearing winter clothes (ATGATT) on a day like this. I was thinking it's not too bad, hope you guys don't figure out where all my engine heat is being blown.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Heat

wkclark said:
I have never had anything hotter between my legs .... and I mean EVER :mad: -- than a 2007 Harley Ultra-Glide in traffic on a hot day. Thank goodness it was a rental and I could drop it back to the dealer. :)
If you prefer to not make a "relative to" comparison -- there is very little engine heat hitting the LT driver ........ almost imperceptible.
Keir
I've had the exact opposite experience. I found the Electra Glide Classic I rode for several days in 100+ temperatures to be much more comfortable than my 1200. I am always thankful that the previous owner put the J-Pegs on it so that I can get my legs up out of the heat. The heat is appreciated in cold weather to be sure, but I do all my non-commuting riding in the summer.
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top