BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or do I have a different problem looming.

What I have noticed and wanted to talk about for a while is the way it slams into certain gears.

I've been riding since about 12 years old and know how to shift very smoothly. What I have noticed is especially in 4th gear , it hits very hard in upshifts ... almost as if it had no syncros or I was just shifting without clutch.

Even my Custom Chopper doesn't hit as hard in any gear except when rev'd while shifting from neutral - first where it will slam into gear with clutch pulled .

Other gears are not nearly as hard hitting. Some seem very normal where you don't feel the shift.

Is this common or do I have another potential problem ?

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
smooth as butter to shift

Petre said:
Or do I have a different problem looming.

What I have noticed and wanted to talk about for a while is the way it slams into certain gears.

I've been riding since about 12 years old and know how to shift very smoothly. What I have noticed is especially in 4th gear , it hits very hard in upshifts ... almost as if it had no syncros or I was just shifting without clutch.

Even my Custom Chopper doesn't hit as hard in any gear except when rev'd while shifting from neutral - first where it will slam into gear with clutch pulled .

Other gears are not nearly as hard hitting. Some seem very normal where you don't feel the shift.

Is this common or do I have another potential problem ?
I've been 8000 miles since last may(I'm a new BMW rider) and the shift is really smooth. Better than my HD Road Glide was. I do notice I have a little trouble matching RPM's to MPH when I let the clutch out. I'm getting better though.

Hope you don't have a tranny problem coming.

Ride safe! :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Comparing to the Shadow 125cc and the Aero 1100 I previously rode, the LT is a hard shifting machine. (even if it's not as hard as the 1100RT I rode !)

BMW Gearbox are known to be NOT smooth and for their... reliability... :rolleyes: The one on my bike shows no sign of use at 40k- but it is noisy (KLONK). Second gear needs a good upshift or it came back to N.

I rode a Yamaha 750 FZ6 this week end and it was really smooth too.

Hope this helps :bmw:

Reactions: Jrw2001

·
Registered
749 Posts
I have changed out to synthetic transmission fluid which seems to have helped with the shifting. I also bought one of those shift lever extenders which really helped out a lot. You can also use a piece of heater hose and put it on the end of the shifter. It seems to take less pressure to shift...the shifter is not digging into your boot so much.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Frenchy said:
Comparing to the Shadow 125cc and the Aero 1100 I previously rode, the LT is a hard shifting machine. (even if it's not as hard as the 1100RT I rode !)

BMW Gearbox are known to be NOT smooth and for their... reliability... :rolleyes: The one on my bike shows no sign of use at 40k- but it is noisy (KLONK). Second gear needs a good upshift or it came back to N.

I rode a Yamaha 750 FZ6 this week end and it was really smooth too.

Hope this helps :bmw:
That describes my 4th gear ... It surprises me because I would expect it through all the gears , but 4th is a notoriously harder "KLONK" than the others.

1st to 2nd definately requires deliberate shifting.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hard shifter?

:)
Since installing Buck's kickshifter (see our Home page on this site), my shifting has been butter smooth (to quote someone else.) The only problem I have (and it's not really a problem) is that occasionally, I don't push down hard enough for the shift from 1st to 2nd and wind up in Neutral. I do that about once a week.:eek:
But in my defense, it shifts so smoothly and is so easy to shift now that I have the heel toe shifter installed, I rationalize that once a week is not so bad. In fact, I made a 1500 mile rt over Memorial day weekend and never missed a shift the entire time.:D
Try it, you'll like it.
:)
(And you're welcome Buck for my plug of your product.:) )

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
My LTs were not as smooth shifting as many Japanese bikes, but BMWs are not known for butter smooth shifting. I had little clunking when upshifting though, mostly when down shifting.

By the way, there are NO synchros in it, and I really don't know of any motorcycle transmissions that do have them. All motorcycle trannies I know of are "dog" engagements, where tangs (dogs) on one part engage slots in the opposing part when slid along the shaft supporting them. Synchronizers take up room not normally available in motorcycle transmissions.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Try some good synthetic tranny oil. It will make a world of difference. It's not going to fix a problem if one is present. My 99 LT is smooth as butter. I have owned alot of bike and this is one of the smoothest bikes I have ever ridden. My 99 R1100RT was much better after the switch. The R1100 R,RT's transmissions are clunky and requires that you preload them when shifting. I like the AMSOIL Synthetic (go figure) but Mobil One is also very good.

Reactions: LeeBee

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Each and every brand of bike is either famous or infamous for their trannys. Hondas are notoriously clunky. But not as clunky as Harleys and Beemers. Yamahas as smooth. Kawasakis are almost too smooth . . . and so on.

The LT was somewhat clunky...but keeping the linkage lubed definitely helps. (Do it at every 6K service, if not more often.)

My new GT's tranny is almost laughable. Gears 1, 2, and 3 are EXTREMELY CLUNKY! While gears 4, 5, and 6 and EXTREMELY smooth and quiet. It's almost like the tranny is manufactured by two separate companies. BMW makes the first 3 gears, and Kawasaki makes 4th, 5th, and 6th gear. :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
I definitely agree that this is one of the "clunkiest" tranny's I've experienced. I have a pet peeve about things like this, and I find myself cringing at times. My biggest problem is downshifts 4th to 3rd, seems like a wide gap. Will hit false neutral at times between the two. I've owned the bike a bit over a year now, and still have not mastered throttle matched shifts consistently. I love the bike, but the clutch action/tranny would be my biggest gripe.
It's funny, I took the bike to the dealer a few weeks ago to have them check the clutch/tranny. They took it out for half hour, came back and claimed it was one of the smoother LT's they'd ridden in a while--go figure

·
Registered
470 Posts
Coming from almost twenty years of riding Moto Guzzis this LT tranny shifts like a dream. With many miles under my butt in big rigs in years past I think if you can keep the thought of matching engine speed with road speed, then you will find the sweet spot in any tranny without synchros. A slight bit of pre shift pressure on the gear selector seems to help a great deal also...All about teaching yourself How to ride any particular bike/vehicle without synchros. Practice Practice Practice.......

·
Registered
353 Posts
Took me awhile to find a smooth non-clunky shift. I found that the smoothest shifting in my last three BMW's, (RT, LT, GT) will occur in the most inspriing fashion while at rpm's over 7K and just the slightest pull of the clutch and a quick snap of the toe. If you need to ride in town shift very early at low rpm's and again very little clutch pull. Not to cast dispersions on any particular brand, but many cruiser riders shift at a much more leisurely pace.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I certainly agree with some of the previous posts, synthetic (75-140w) gear AND differential oil, lube ALL of the shift linkage, and shift at the "right" RPM.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Coming off my previous Harley Ultra Classic, my K12 is practically silent.

I do have to ensure a good tug on the lever from 1-2 however, or I get "N" at the most inopportune time!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Like Darrel, I found that shifting at a higher rpm( 4-5K rpm on my bike) and just slightly pulling in the clutch it just slips into gear. Very smooth. Takes some practice to syncronize just right. I came from Harleys and we usually shift at 2-3K rpm to get the rumble and sorta lope along. And all my harleys clunked into gear. Much harder shifting than the Beemer.......

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I usually shift between 6250-7000 rpms ... As I stated before , all the gears are pretty good except 3rd shifting into 4th. That ones a clunker no matter where I shift. :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Guess its all what you are used to. After years of riding HD, I rarely miss a gear change. I haven't noticed any correlation between RPM and gear shifting problems.

However, I remove the shift linkage, clean it, and grease it when I do 12K services; hit the side stand at the same time.

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Thats what we need, a thread on what brand name lubrication to use on the shift linkage. ;-o
Bob

·
Registered
178 Posts
Petre said:
I usually shift between 6250-7000 rpms ...
:eek:
Did I miss something here ? 7k rpms is just before the Red line, doesn't it ? Isn't your engine screaming ?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts