BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to ask because I'm considering buying a 2002 Mauve LT. All of my Harley riding friends laugh and say it's purple when I show them a picture of it while all of the women I ask like it. Including my SO.

The bike itself is exactly what I'm looking for; low mileage, excellent condition, all the goodies that come on the Elite model, right price. But the color I have second thoughts about.

So I put it to you, the esteemed LT forum members. Would you ride a mauve LT?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Would you

I do - but they are the fastest ;-)

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
DentalFlossTycoon said:
I have to ask because I'm considering buying a 2002 Mauve LT. All of my Harley riding friends laugh and say it's purple when I show them a picture of it while all of the women I ask like it. Including my SO.

The bike itself is exactly what I'm looking for; low mileage, excellent condition, all the goodies that come on the Elite model, right price. But the color I have second thoughts about.

I would. Take a gander at the statistics page of CCR and see how few Mauve Metallics are listed versus Grays and Reds, etc. Easy to spot your bike among the rest!! 'Sides, they go with the Mary Kay pink, which you don't see many of either!!! :rolleyes: ;)

Seriously, if the bike you're looking at has all the other features and is in a condition that you're happy with, I wouldn't let the color make my decision for me. JM2CW.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of my buddies told me to name it "The Purple Throbber".

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
I think I'll let Ken Meese answer that one...
If the color has you wonder about being feminine, do as Ken do and forgo washing the bike for weeks on end and just ride it instead! Nothing spells M.A.N.L.Y better than a dirty bike!:D

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
I personally think it is a good color, and if you SO likes it, so much the better. I certainly wouldn't let it stop me from buying a good bike and a decent price. Just my .02. jrlakin

·
Registered
237 Posts
It would have been my first choice, although quite nearly tied with the Canyon Red.

Hey, you're not buying a Harley... why do you have to get input from Harley riders on what *color* bike you should ride?

Remember the motto of Harley riders: "I ride a Harley because I am a unique individual... just like all these other Harley riders." (ducks in anticipation of objects being thrown)

Who would you rather have showering you with attention? Your SO and other women, or a bunch of guys on Harleys? (Ummmm... perhaps your SO wants to reconsider, considering that the Mauve LT is obviously a babe magnet.)

A while back I was at the Home Despot, getting ready to leave. I was riding my wife's bike that day, a Honda CB650. Some guy in a Chevy Subdivision pulled up and asked me how much my motorcycle cost. I told him we had bought it for $700. He said he thought motorcycles cost like $25,000 or $30,000. I said, "well, some motorcycles can cost that much, but if you're not insecure about the size of your [body part], you can ride a $700 motorcycle."

·
Registered
717 Posts
If you have any hint of a doubt, DO NOT BUY IT. It WILL bother you later.
I speak from experience. Just last summer I sold my R1200C and bought a 1150RT. I had ridden an RT-P, and I liked it very much. The pics I was sent of the 1150RT showed it to be a medium blue. When I went to see it/buy it, it was an overcast day and it looked a little darker to me, and a little "weird". Well, once home, that blue looked purple. I couldn't stand looking at it and sold it right away, and now I have the LT :) Bottom line, if it bothers you now, it'll bother you later, and keep bothering you day after day, after day. You may possibly grow to like it, but from what you've said, I'd be very careful and not rush in to buy. There's always another one somewhere down the road.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
juggler said:
A while back I was at the Home Despot, getting ready to leave. I was riding my wife's bike that day, a Honda CB650. Some guy in a Chevy Subdivision pulled up and asked me how much my motorcycle cost. I told him we had bought it for $700. He said he thought motorcycles cost like $25,000 or $30,000. I said, "well, some motorcycles can cost that much, but if you're not insecure about the size of your [body part], you can ride a $700 motorcycle."
Please tell me he was driving a big Suburban!:histerica

·
Registered
237 Posts
grahamw said:
I do - but they are the fastest ;-)
Is that anything along the lines of the Johnny Cash song "Boy Named Sue"?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Mauve Is Cool...

I ride a Mauve...but the honest truth is, to me it looks more purple. BUT...I get LOTS of compliments on the bike!!!! :dance:

·
Registered
237 Posts
zippy_gg said:
Please tell me he was driving a big Suburban!:histerica
Really, really, really big.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Mauve

juggler said:
Is that anything along the lines of the Johnny Cash song "Boy Named Sue"?
I don't know. I should have said 'I have a mauve one - but they are the fastest'

or maybe just read before pressing send.

I am dyslexic of Borg. Your ass will be laminated

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Here in the dust capital of the world, I live on an unmaintained county dirt road, I chose color based upon what shows dust the least. I went with metallic dust, AKA Champaign in BMW speak.

The gas tank on my 86HD FXRS looked black, until one looked at it closely in direct sunlight--metallic purple.

Don't think I'd buy a bike or car if I didn't like the color.

Have FUN
Bob

·
Registered
205 Posts
I passed up on a rocket because what George said. Looked great in the showroom, but realized it was purple in the sun. That was a rocket though, not a Harley or LT (which I believe to be an acceptable or even appealing color on those bikes).

I would've bought an LT regardless of the color from any prev owner. I tend to admire the style of bike more than the color. To me, the guys with custom paints: turquoise, flames, and any flourescent/electric/hot colors looks stupid. Sorry if anyone has those colors/designs on their LT ;)

·
Registered
237 Posts
grahamw said:
I don't know. I should have said 'I have a mauve one - but they are the fastest'
Perhaps you didn't catch my drift, or you are unfamiliar with the song. It's about a guy who grows up to be the toughest guy in town because his father named him Sue.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/johnnycash/aboynamedsue.html

And along those lines, the mauve bikes have to be the fastest ones. The only faster ones would be pink.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I can attest..

Real men ride mauve! I've had mine now for 5 years and I've always had good compliments about the color but more so just the overall appearence of the bike. I'm with the other guys if the bike is a good buy go for it. Good luck!

DentalFlossTycoon said:

·
Registered
845 Posts
If you like it, buy it! If in a few months, however, you're saying things like, "Do these riding pants make my ass look big?" then you'll know you made a wrong decision.... :D

·
Banned
588 Posts
Where do they come up with these color names? Mauve, Taupe, Beige, etc. I have no idea what my wife is talking about when she describes colors.

I think Man Rule # 187 should be "The only colors are black, white, red, blue, yellow, purple, orange, green,brown, silver, gold, copper. You can use one of these colors to describe another, such as yellow-green, reddish blue, etc.

·
Registered
129 Posts
First - Your Harley dude friends only see black and chrome. (I know I owned a 03 100th Anniv UC)
Second - They are going to suggest you ride in the back of the group so that you look like you just are following a bunch of Harleys. Then you get to pick up the pieces that fall off and to stop and hold their hand when the ole Harley gets to hot to run.
Third - I would swear that you are not color deficient and that mauve is the same color of the 1996 Springer Custom with a tad bit more black and a deeper paint depth so it shows up darker.
Fourth - The women like it. I would much rather have a sexy woman come up to me to talk about my bike and a sweaty overweight Harley guy wanting to know if those mufflers have baffles in them and "Whered ya get that chrome doo-dad do he can get one too!
Fifth - Ride in front of them, lead the way, don't stop for gas until you have too, tell them you will see them at the end of the ride if they make it, cause you can say all you want with all that exhaust noise they can't hear you. An as an added bonus you got a smooth ride and can really hear the music..
All the group I ride with have Harleys. When we would ride I would leave my Harley home and take my Yamaha Venture, ride WAY in the back to get away from the exhaust noise. I would tell them "I'll pick up the parts that vibrate off and stop WHEN you break down. (both of which I did on a regular basis) Now they have named my 06 LT the F#@$en Spaceship. Which got changed to RocketShip last fall when we rode the Tail of the Dragon.

Enjoy the ride.. Isn't that the most important thing!.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts