BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a shot of my rear brake pads. I noticed that the pad lining thicknness is actually less than the backing thickness when I took off the wheel to replace the tire. The tire image is just for show, that is gone for sure.

The bike has 12K on it and is a 2005. This is the second time the tire has been replaced. It lasted about 7K.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Replace the tire.. not the brakepads..

Bridgestones last about 7k..rear and 3 k front with my riding.

Metzlers last much longer..I have almost 10k on front and rear so far and lots left to go... would not think twice about leaving for a cross country trip on them right now.

One thing, tho... I'm around 36k on my 2005 LT.... c'mon.. start riding that big girl!!!

Peace..
Dcn. Channing.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"One thing, tho... I'm around 36k on my 2005 LT.... c'mon.. start riding that big girl!!!"

I bought it used 9 months ago and put 7K of the 12K on it :) I am doing my best!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Pads look OK but for future reference, the Leading edge wears more than the rest of the pad. Minimum is .060" per BMW spec.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
The pictured pad looks fine. If it's mate is similar you've many miles left. Be sure to check both pads, they don't always wear at the same rate especially if somethings sticking.

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
From a brief view of your brake lining you have a lot of mileage left - from my experience they wear very slowly. I had mine on the bike for over over 4 years and 45,000 miles and the only reason I replaced was for possible noise elimination - they never showed much signs of wear. In fact I kept the old ones just in case!!

I am sure others have had different experiences and this totally based on driving location, style and the weight of driver and pillion.

I would buy a new pair and set them aside so when you get thin you can replace anytime!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts