BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished my first 24K maintenance and everything went well thanks to all the information on this forum. My question now after looking ahead for planning on the 36K maintenance, is it really neccessary to replace the timing chain slide rail, tensioner rail lining and thrust piece every 36K per BMW recommendations or for that matter to even inspect them? Is this a BMW make money issue? It appears to me to be a lot of work with small payback. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
109k on my bike now and I have never done it.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
No...This is one of those things you just don't have to do...It'll be fine..

They go Way over 100K without needing that..

John

·
Registered
349 Posts
It would be pretty useful to put up a modified maintenance schedule that has the recommended listings and then the "real world" listings.

Other things I wonder about...

Check/adjust swingarm bearings
Check steering damper (for what?)
Clean inductive sensor
Fuel filter

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,106 Posts
Answers to your questions:

calvarez said:
It would be pretty useful to put up a modified maintenance schedule that has the recommended listings and then the "real world" listings.

Other things I wonder about...

Check/adjust swingarm bearings Grab the rear end and wiggle it - is it loose? If not then you are OK.

Check steering damper (for what?) With the front wheel off the ground swing the front end from side to side quickly then do it slowly - is there difference in resistance to movement? If so you are OK

Clean inductive sensor - The only ones I know are the ABS sensors - if they are dirty, clean them off (Magnetic particles/fuzz)

Fuel filter - yes replace it at 24K intervals

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
John, would you be able to relate the physical dimensions of the LT fuel filter vs your "average" auto filter? (3" long X 1.75"-2" diameter)

It is time for me to change the air and fuel filters and was surprised how small the air filter element is. When I got my new air filter in the mail I was expecting something much larger.

Thanks,

Loren

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,106 Posts
Loren,

It is smaller than your average FI auto filter. I recommend replacing it because of the potential for a clog and you really don't want to do this on the road.

I know a young lady that has had to change three of these on the road in her K75 (over 350K on the bike). At least on that bike you go in from the fuel filler too get to it.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
That's what I was looking for. 24K change interval for a fuel filter (if automotive size) seemed ridiculous. I did have to change the fuel filter on the road one time in one of my vehicles. A 36' Overland motorhome, 460 ci Ford. 6-8 mpg at 54,000 miles. About the equivalent of 347,000 miles on the LT. Had the spare in one of the basement compartments and took less than 10 mins to replace. Not so easy on the LT.

About the equivalent of 347,000 miles on the LT

Calculation: 54000 miles/7mpg = 7714 gallons of gas through filter

7714 gallons of gas * 45 mpg(LT) = 347,130 miles

The motorhome was carburetted and the LT is fuel injected which means the fuel passes through the filter more than once(on the LT) but still, the first time the fuel passes through the filter, carburetted or fi any contaminants should be filtered out.

Now I'm wonderin' again!

Wait a minute! I have to change the air filter so just as well change the fuel filter too, eh?

Aaargh!

Loren

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,106 Posts
Yeah I know Loren.

I had to change the fuel filter on my Lincoln MK8 at 72,000 because it would not start. Once crap gets in 'em it doesn't come out on its own. At least it keeps the tank clean!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts