BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me is it OK to lube throttle cable? I saw somewhere that your not supposed to lube the throttle cable. It's kinda hard to turn. Not real hard just harder than I think it should be.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
No!

Not a good idea. I see that your LT is a 2002. They had free cable updates, just ask you dealer. I had mine done and it made a big difference.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I lubed mine with teflon spray (dries without a residue). They say not to lube them, but I can't relly see any harm in doing so.

Now, having said that....after I lubed them, the improvement was negligible, at best. So, I installed the new thottle cables. HUGE...I MEAN HUGE improvement with the new cable design. Like a whole new bike now.

Guess what I'm trying to tell you is; I wouldn't waste my time trying to lube them. Instead, invest that time installing the new cables. Parts cost me about $100. My bike was out of warranty, so the cable upgrade wasn't "free" for me. Either way, this was the single best improvement I've made to the bike yet.

Here's the list of parts I bought
1) 3272769190 Repair Kit ($20.80) this includes the plastic parts and screws for attaching the new cables to the throttle/grip housing.
2) 32737694490 Thottle Opener Cable ($34.40)
3) 32737694491 Acc. Cable/ aka-closer cable ($48.80)

Part prices are from Chicago BMW.

Some have done this without removing the fuel tank, and air box. For me, I removed both of them. I also cleaned/decoked the ID's of my thottle bodies and butterfly plates while I had everything off. Used carb cleaner and Q-tips. Good time to check your air filter too....and possibly your fuel filter if you have allot of miles on the bike.

Other tips;

I was able to reuse the two "non-reusable" clamps holding the air box onto the throttle bodies. For some crazy reason, BMW uses two regular style (removable) clamps, and two "non-reusable" clamps to attach the air box (silencer) to the throttle bodies. If your careful removing those non-resuable clamps, you should be able to re-use 'em.

Replace one cable at a time....so you can follow the proper routing. I didn't buy a new lower handelbar cover, since it was easy enough to put my own hole in mine. There are pictures in this forum about where this holes needs to go. I made my hole very carefuly with a dremel tool..and it turned out great. Size is about 5/8" x 1" (am oblong hole).

I lubed (spray teflon) up the thottle return springs before putting everything back together. Also cleaned the handlebars (and sanded 'em real smooth with emery cloth) and thottle grip ID real good and lubed those with with teflon. Everything's smooth as silk now. If you remove your thottle grip from the handlebars (to lube this up) and have heated grips, be aware that the heater wire is inside the handlebar.....so don't pull the grip off without disconnecting the heater wire and feeding in some slack to allow for removal. Don't ask me how I know this. (see my "performed sucessful surgery on my heated grip" thread).

Have fun.....
Toolman

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
avonfloater said:
I also ride a 2002 - was the free upgrade to new throttle cables only while the bike was under warranty?
According to the SB, warranty claims on the issue would be accepted until December 31, 2003. After this date, no further action will be possible under warranty.

Also, the SB sed that new throttle cables have been used in production since VIN # ZD 79401.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts