BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since installing lowering pegs to my LT, I have gotten into the habit of just using the front brake when braking. Yes, I realize that Ilium manufactures a rear brake after-market shifter. I undestand that the front brake handle incorporates both front and rear brakes. Is this a safe practice? I realize in slow situations and slow turns that one should use only the rear brake? Please advise.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I almost never use my rear brake for physical reasons. It's one of the main reasons I bought an LT.

I'm just mindful that if the system fails I have to revert back to the "old way" and use both.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
No, no, no . . .

Frankly, I think this is simply terrible technique that will only soon turn into a bad habit that will be hard to brake. (No pun intended.) Using both the front lever and rear pedal is the only way to ride a bike. Just remember, your next bike may not have integral brakes. Then what?

Yes, in the parking lot situations...REAR BRAKE ONLY.

·
Registered
664 Posts
messenger13 said:
Frankly, I think this is simply terrible technique that will only soon turn into a bad habit that will be hard to brake. (No pun intended.) Using both the front lever and rear pedal is the only way to ride a bike. Just remember, your next bike may not have integral brakes. Then what?

Yes, in the parking lot situations...REAR BRAKE ONLY.

I was a little surprised at your answer knowing you also ride a sport bike. But after thinking about your answer, I agree. I came from a sport bike (VFR750) and had really gotten into the "bad habit" you talked about. My KLT is a 00' and I do not have integrated brakes. You are 100% correct in parking lot or really any slow speed situation, rear brake only. But I do use the front brake for probably 80% of my braking. I think I'm cured...

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
If you are not using the rear breaks, you are losing a great deal of handling ability. With slow manuvers the rear break is a must. Using the rear break helps to hold the bike up when slow turning. You also wont drop it when coming to a stop with the front wheel turned.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Rush1517 said:
I was a little surprised at your answer knowing you also ride a sport bike. [snip]...
Jeff,
Sometimes, I've learned to not go into all the intricacies of an answer and just give the shortened and concise version as it relates to the LT (or the question(s) at hand). There are many times on my Ninja when I only use the front OR rear brake...but those techniques really don't apply to the LT, or luxury touring in general. I doubt that I would want the LT sliding as much as my Ninja does. I had the LT sideways once :eek: ...and I hope that's the LAST time!

The Honda VFR...love that bike. I'm just too big for it. :(

·
Registered
435 Posts
Experiment

Try this just for fun (education) but be careful. Dry, straight road; 40mph; everyone in the clear; now panic stop with the front break only, then mark your stopping distance.

Try this same experiment using front & REAR break and note the stopping distance... supprised?? much shorter using both breaks.

·
Registered
664 Posts
messenger13 said:
Jeff,
Sometimes, I've learned to not go into all the intricacies of an answer and just give the shortened and concise version as it relates to the LT (or the question(s) at hand). There are many times on my Ninja when I only use the front OR rear brake...but those techniques really don't apply to the LT, or luxury touring in general. I doubt that I would want the LT sliding as much as my Ninja does. I had the LT sideways once :eek: ...and I hope that's the LAST time!

The Honda VFR...love that bike. I'm just too big for it. :(
Gotcha... And again, I agree. But it did take me a little time to transition into the "both" technique. Actually I still find myself using just the front brake while "riding hard" in the twisties on the LT. The front brakes on that bike are amazing. I've had the front tire squeal a few times under very hard, straight line braking.

I loved the VFR so much I bought two (90' - 96")... I've always loved the Vfour motor from Honda. I'm looking at buying an 02' Magna for a kick around town bike right now. Found one in OH, we'll see.....

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Rush1517 said:
I loved the VFR so much I bought two (90' - 96")... I've always loved the Vfour motor from Honda. I'm looking at buying an 02' Magna for a kick around town bike right now. Found one in OH, we'll see.....
I've owned 7 Magna's in my day...so you're preachin' to the choir. :)
6 - V65s, and 1 - '84 Magna 700 . . . the tariff year. :(

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Larry,
The fully integrated ABS brakes on the LT are truly amazing and among the best in the industry. As such you can probably get by 90٪ of the time but that other 10٪ is gona get you. I agree with Dragon that all of us need to use both brakes every time we stop in order to develop the muscle memory so that in an emergency we don't have to think about using both brakes, it just happens. As someone else pointed out, even with the fully integrated system the shortest stopping distance is still achieved by using both brakes.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I use both brakes all the time with two glaring exceptions:

1. Slow speed U turns, the rear only is used to modulate throttle input, I still have a much harder time turning to the right.

2. Loose gravel, a definite rear brake only situation.

A neighbor of mine down the street that rides a certain brand of American motorcycle made in Milwaukee from Japanese parts told me that you should never use the front brake since it can throw you over the handle bars. Really.
I just shook my head and walked away. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Does somebody know what is the braking force difference in '05 full integral brake system using front or rear brake levers only. As I have understood, both the handlever and foot pedal activate front and rear brakes simultaneously. Does the handbrake give more braking force to front wheel and less to rear wheel and vice versa with the foot pedal?
I guess BMW "corrected" this feature in their other new models by cutting the link from the foot pedal to the front wheel.

I have to admit that the only time I use foot brake is during a hill start and now I am also wondering what is the truth with the full integral brakes...

Still confused but on a higher level...

·
Registered
424 Posts
Over the handlebars

RonKMiller said:
A neighbor of mine down the street that rides a certain brand of American motorcycle made in Milwaukee from Japanese parts told me that you should never use the front brake since it can throw you over the handle bars. Really.
I just shook my head and walked away. :rolleyes:
Let me guess. His last bike was a Schwinn?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Does it apply to the linked power brakes on my 02 model

Hello Guys,

I see you talking about using one or the other brakes.

On my Euro model 02 KLT, the brakes are linked and powered. I often try to establish which brake gives me more power, but I can only determine that they are both fantastic. So I am not so excited about which one I use.

Do you all think that even with these power linked brakes, that I am still advised to use both pedals?

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Hi Mark,

on my 2005, as I understand it, it's about 60/40 - tug the front brake, and bout 40% goes to the rear, and vice versa - not a bad idea, except when you wanna use the rear only - slow speed, carparks and mountain passes when you wanna trail a rear brake only....

·
Registered
80 Posts
pozo_izquierdo said:
I have to admit that the only time I use foot brake is during a hill start and now I am also wondering what is the truth with the full integral brakes...
I've ridden mine the exact same way for over 20,000 miles under a wide variety of conditions and circumstances with no surprises or ill effects.

The system was designed to work that way, I trust it, don't question it, and will continue to use it the way it was designed.

Using both on an LT with fully integral brakes seems alot like pulling the parking brake lever while pushing the brake pedal on a car.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Holy Kay-rap!!!

RS6654 said:
I've ridden mine the exact same way for over 20,000 miles under a wide variety of conditions and circumstances with no surprises or ill effects.

The system was designed to work that way, I trust it, don't question it, and will continue to use it the way it was designed.

Using both on an LT with fully integral brakes seems alot like pulling the parking brake lever while pushing the brake pedal on a car.
Your statements only prove that you do not understand fully the way the LT's integral braking system works. The system was NOT designed to work in the way you suggest . . . no sir! Come ride with me, and I'll prove it to you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Lynn_Keen said:
As someone else pointed out, even with the fully integrated system the shortest stopping distance is still achieved by using both brakes.
I can't find that anywhere in my owners manual. On page 80 of mine it only reads:

"the integral braking function is activated by either the handbrake lever or the footbrake lever"

·
Registered
80 Posts
messenger13 said:
Your statements only prove that you do not understand fully the way the LT's integral braking system works. The system was NOT designed to work in the way you suggest . . . no sir! Come ride with me, and I'll prove it to you.
Please educate me. Direct me to an official document that says something different than my owners manual.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
RS6654 said:
Please educate me. Direct me to an official document that says something different than my owners manual.
I'll look up a link to the "official description" by BMW Mottorad.

You have read one statement in the manual and have made a boatload of assumptions. The braking system is NOT linked, it's an "integral" braking system. There's a HUGE difference. But rather than me babble on & on...I'll go find the link. Prepare to have your eyes opened. :)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts