BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK GS riders, trying to find out a little more about heated clothing. Getting chilly here in NC, has not been out of the 20-40's all week. Going a bit crazy about not riding as much. The question, is there a big difference in heated clothing or is one that much better than the other? Lots on the market, any comments..........Thanks to all for input! :sleep:

·
Registered
912 Posts
quickbeemer said:
OK GS riders, trying to find out a little more about heated clothing. Getting chilly here in NC, has not been out of the 20-40's all week. Going a bit crazy about not riding as much. The question, is there a big difference in heated clothing or is one that much better than the other? Lots on the market, any comments..........Thanks to all for input! :sleep:
Its 14 now in Chicago. My vote is for Gerbings. Have vest and boot heaters. Heats up quickly and works of the plug on the 07 LT. Have not used it yet this year. The weather was okay until the snow fell, and there is now a lot of ice between the garage and the street.

Use the heated seat and sometimes the hand grip heaters, but may invest in the pants some day.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,976 Posts
I can't help you on any heated stuff Tony. I just layer up & ride. This was yesterday on the way to work. I plan on riding to Michigan for Christmas & no heated gear for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
431 Posts
Tony,

I got two heated vests last year, one battery and one plug in, and the difference they make is amazing. There is a good choice out there so do some research and choose carefully. I got both of mine on ebay for only about €50 (new).

A couple of points that might help - both of mine are sleeveless. This is something to bear in mind as you will see. Both are the new style carbon fiber heating rather than wires.

The battery one (ActiVheat - bought from a guy calling himself hernicole on ebay. com who I would highly recommend) is a fleece and as such is a little bulky. It works brilliantly while I'm out gliding, or generally out and about (which is why I went for it) as well as on the bike. I can get up to 8 hours heat on low. However, riding with it on as well as the jacket's liner bulks things up a bit too much. Leaving the jacket's liner off results in feeling the cold on your arms.

The 1st one I bought (Polarfox, ebay.co.uk) is wired. Obviously no use out and about but advantage is no danger of running out of battery. Serious heat. So much so that I end up unplugging for a while or risk roasting like a turkey. I'm going to fit some kind of switch or controller. This one is thinner and can be worn more like a vest than a gilet. However the problem with that is getting the lead out from under whatever else you're wearing.

I don't think there's anything that's perfect. But what I've learned from my 1st skirmish with heated clothing would have me looking next time for the thinist one possible, so it can be worn with a flannel shirt or a sweater over it, with sleeves, and with heat to as much of it as possible. Mains with battery option if budget allows. (It's still cold when you get off the bike you know!). Warm & Safe have some interesting stuff if money is no object.

Kevin.

Kevin.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I agree with Kevin's opinions pretty much across the board. I absolutely recommend you get a jacket style. It's not very often you're going to wish you were less warm...and if so you can open jacket vents, turn the heat off etc. Or you can get a set with a rheostat so you can modulate the heat better if money is not an issue.
in my opinion don't buy a brand name (BMW, he, etc) as those are just gerbings rebadged usually. The new style gerbings with the micro wires is what I would shop if I was looking to replace the sets I have now. Hth.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All good info guys.....Thanks, and stay warm this winter and Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I bought Gerbings G3 gloves and a dual thermostat 2 years ago. They aren't cheap and aren't cheaply made. I could have gotten by with the single thermostat, but if you add something else later and want different temperature settings, you'd have to buy a dual controller then anyway. The gloves keep the backs of my hands, ring and pinky fingers, and thumbs as warm as I want them. I've found that when my hands are warm, it takes a while for the cold to affect me. I have considered the jacket liner, but haven't gotten one yet. I bought the Gerbings at Motorcycles of Charlotte on Black Friday. They weren't advertising a sale, but I asked if they could give me a deal and they knocked 20% off. You might get a deal at Carolina Euro. It can't hurt to ask. I had searched any place that sold Gerbings back then for any discount. I didn't find any. Even "Buy it Now" on ebay were retail prices.

HTH

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again, I starded riding at seventeen and have never used any warm gear but now at 56 it seems the older I get, the better it sounds. I'll check Greensboro this wekend and see what they have. :yeah:.....Oh yeah Saddleman, how was the Toy Ride?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Riding home last night, the temp was 33 degrees. I was actually hot. I mean sweating hot! I had to turn down the heat on my Gerbing gear. The morning commute was 17 and I was quite comfortable. The key to the Gerbings working is to keep the wind out. If air can leak past your outter wear, the Gerbing stuff doesn't work well at all.

I really have no idea what my low temperature limit is. I suspect its around 10. At some point, my breath freezes on the inside of my Pinlock shield. The clothing is not the limiting factor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the Gerbing's heated liner and also the heated gloves. I have not yet used the gloves but expect that I will in the next few weeks. The gloves plug into wires located on the sleeves of the jacket liner and I do have the dual controller.

I thought for a long time that riding with heated gear was pretty wussy -- until I tried it. Hypothermia is no fun and just plain dangerous. Heated gear makes for both more comfortable riding and safer riding in cold conditions.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Asking Santa this year for a Gerbing's jacket liner or vest. I was totally leaning vest, but the more I read about full liners (ie with sleeves) the more I am thinking of going that route. Any comments on the relative merits/disadvantages of vest versus full liner?

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,976 Posts
quickbeemer said:
Thanks again, I starded riding at seventeen and have never used any warm gear but now at 56 it seems the older I get, the better it sounds. I'll check Greensboro this wekend and see what they have. :yeah:.....Oh yeah Saddleman, how was the Toy Ride?
Both toy rides went very well Tony. There is a video link about the ride in Alabama in the SE section. Open the link & it's in the top right corner. At the end you'll see my bike with Santa sitting on the top rack.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I have the Gerbings heated jacket and pant liners. They cost extra but the quality and warmth they provide is superb. I will be wearing both tomorrow when I take a ride. The one thing we are experts on here in Canada is how to dress for the cold.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Merry Christmas to all.............and a very balmy -13 F this fine morning............ :cool:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the Gerbings heated jacket, gloves and soles with a dual controller. That means that one controller control both the gloves and soles and the other controls the jacket.

Once all plugged in, and it takes awhile, you can't beat it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I know this is resurrecting an old post but I thought the information would be useful. Having dipped my toe in the water with a couple of cheapie vests (see my post above) - which still work very well, I took the plunge this year and went the whole hog on the Warm&Safe stuff. I have vest and pant liner, heated inner gloves and socks. I got a remote dual controller to manage the whole thing.

I've now used the stuff about 8 times, the last on Sunday for a 140 mile trip in damp, cold conditions (35F with snow flurries and frost warning flashing). In a word - brilliant! It made me feel like I was driving in France in 80F. The big difference is the heat on the arms, which my vests don't have and the tops of the thighs. It really makes it feel like the sun's beating down, and I only had it turned up about 60%.

I found Mike great to deal with. We established Skype contact and had a 45 minute conversation which started with him helping me on sizing and other questions, but also included motorcycling in Europe, the Euro, politics, etc, etc - don't get him going! The service from Warm&Safe was top class. I would highly recommend. I have no affiliation with Warm&Safe (how could I over here) - just a satisfied customer. By the way, I believe it was Mike's birthday yesterday - Happy birthday MIke.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
+1 on Warm-n-Safe, I have their gen 4 waterproof jacket and am looking to trade in my pants for the new ones, just wish they were all waterproof instead of just the front half?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts