BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to physically start my "preseason" maintenance on my '00 LT that I picked up in January.
The 1st task is replacing the rear disc, pads, fd fluid & rear tire(worn out 880).
I've narrowed my choices down to either a 777HD or a BT20.
When the front wears out, I'll probably go with a metzler roadtec 01 up there.
Shortly, I'll be doing the hyperpro suspension springs.
So, I'm polling for opinions on which of these two rear tires is superior for stable
secure handling, including wet grip.
I am not concerned about treadlife, since on the treadlife vs. cost basis, they probably balance out & I typically only ride 4-5k miles/yr.
So, what's the forum experience/opinion on these?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
I ran 880s for a long time (66 K) but have now run the BT020s on the rear for the last 40 K and like them way better than the 880s as far as wet grip. Have not tried the Shinko on the LT yet but did run them on my GS. Had no issues.

I am swapping out rear drives as I had a 2.82 unit built for me (2.62 is stock) and I got an EBC MD615 rotor along with the EBC FA 304 organic pads for the new drive.

Reactions: johnbaker15

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THX!
I've got the 615 disc & the FA pads to put on too

·
Registered
187 Posts
THX!
I've got the 615 disc & the FA pads to put on too
I have no experience with the 'Stone, so I can't say how they compare, but I sure love the Shinko. It's night asnd day better than the stock Metz.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Don't have experience with the 777 but I do like the BT20 on the rear. Had an Avon AM26 on the front and I couldn't get it off the front fast enough. Terrible in the rain. Not sure I would try a 777 on the rear after that but some do like them. Going to stick with the BT20 as long as I can get them.

Reactions: ALL4BMW

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
I still have a ME880 front but I was going to go to the Michelin PR4 GT next time around. Have them on my K1300GT and love them.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am also considering the Avon AV72 Cobra rear. Wing rider's seem to like them. I like them on my Suzuki GS1100GK. They're expensive, but very stable, good in the rain & last a long, long time.
So, I'm as undecided as ever...

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,981 Posts
The wrong rear tire could rub the swingarm if it wasn't made just for the LT. Sometimes even the right tire can rub like this one did.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have ran thru (2) 777 on the rear. both got around 7K. I like then alright. better grip than the metz888 or 880 (did one of each).
I am now on the BT020-M 160/70B-17 (4100mi). it is the best tire I have run on this bike. I can't see using anything else.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My thoughts, today, are that I'll get a BT020 for the rear &, when the front goes, I'll get a T31 GT for the front. I really like to stay with at least the same mfr, front & back. We'll see, but I'm pretty set on the BT20 now. Thanks guys.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
OK you will not mix brands front and rear but you will mix bias ply and radials front an rear???

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, I'd go with the "GT" version of the 31. It's reinforced. I believe the heavy back end of the LT is where you can have the most issues. I think the early front geometry is more stable, at speed, too.
I would never go radial in the back & bias ply up front...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I put over 150k miles on Metzeler 880s and was always happy with how well the tire held to even wet roads. After my last tire replacement, I started sliding around a lot, and only then noticed I was now running on an 888. The nice thing about the 888 is that it's the first time I ever got 22k miles off a rear tire. A little research shows the changes they made to increase mileage also shortened the contact patch. I would gladly go back to 10-12k miles for a tire that didn't slide. So I'm now trying to decide what to try next...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just checked with two local dealers & the Bridgestone USA site. The BT020 is no longer marketed.
So, I need to decide whether or no to buy a no longer produced tire from stock or the Shinko. Or, the Avon Cobra(expensive) or Storm/Spirit(noisy)...
Definitely NOT the 888.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Suzuki GS1100GK is up for sale, now that the LT is taking my time. $1400 on So. Jersey CL.

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
I just checked with two local dealers & the Bridgestone USA site. The BT020 is no longer marketed.
Not sure which site you went to but this Bridgestone site here still lists them for the K1200LT. I did go to a different site and did not find them. So I guess you just need to hit the right one.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
So, I need to decide whether or no to buy a no longer produced tire from stock or the Shinko. Or, the Avon Cobra(expensive) or Storm/Spirit(noisy)...
Definitely NOT the 888.
The only decision you need to make is what tire you are going to buy now. Mine will be the BT020 for as long as I can find them. Once I can't, I will have to choose another tire. Buying a no longer produced tire should not really be a factor unless it hasn't been produced for more than 5 years where you get into some really older stock. Anything up to 5 years should be just fine as most of us go through them faster than that anyways. I am not one of those who obsesses over the MFG date unless it is really far out.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ordered a BT20 two days ago. I'll put it on, shortly, when I replace the rear disc. That'll be my 1st significant work on this bike.

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200
1 - 20 of 30 Posts