BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and myself have decided to do the Iron Butt Saddle Sore rally by riding the Missouri Tour of Honor 1k in 24 on June 18. Who on here has done one of the 1k in 24 rides? What advice can you hand out? We're both retired now and want to do this while we still can.

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
A friend and myself have decided to do the Iron Butt Saddle Sore rally by riding the Missouri Tour of Honor 1k in 24 on June 18. Who on here has done one of the 1k in 24 rides? What advice can you hand out? We're both retired now and want to do this while we still can.
I did it on my K1600GTL and do not plan to ever do another. It was just a lark with very little planning. I just wanted to see if I could do it. I ended up making a stop about every 150-200 miles for gas, pee, hydrate and a quick pre-packaged snack. I stopped for no more than 15 minutes at a time and made 9 stops. I thought I might make a 3-4 hour rest mid way but didn't find it necessary. There were 4 of us that rode around Florida on the interstate and I finished in less than 15 hours.

It really wasn't very hard, but for me, something I just won't do again because I'm more into the ride as opposed to the destination. I was asked a week before to do it and didn't think too much about it.

You do have to be up for it mentally and be prepared to stop or rest if you start to get fatigued. You can always do it again when you feel better. It's not the fate of the free world, just a ride.

There are many others on this forum who can and will give you more detailed information. Search is your friend. I think I wrote a long narrative of my trip a few years ago if you do a search.

Here it is:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rides-rallies-get-togethers/63744-my-first-official-iron-butt-1-000-a.html

·
Registered
747 Posts
Only advice I can give is plenty of water. Eat when you need to. (small amounts often).

Large amount make you want to sleep.

When I and a friend did a 1000 in 19 1/2 hour, back in 1975 or was it 76, we fuel our bodies every time we fueled the bikes.

We rode from Sharon, PA and to Texarkana, TX. at that point we had to get some sleep.

We were on R75/5s his was a 72 mine a 71. On every fuel stop we were are mileage was only 3 tens of a gallon difference.

Ride hard and fast, but most of all ENJOY THE RIDE.

Ride SAFE

George

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
Yeah, I've done a few thousand-plus-mile days in my time . . . :bike:

Start with this thread, then let me know if you have any more questions. :cool:

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Yep! Using Ken's info & methodology I've done several 1000 plus mile days on both my old K1200LT & my K1600GTL. I've done some on the spur of the moment buy starting out on a multi day trip planning to ride 700 to 800 miles, then end up with over 1000 before I stopped. I DO NOT suggest doing this as it is a lot harder to do.

On a planned SS1000 I always start early before sun rise, Take 2 ibuprofen to start with lots of water, drink plenty more water as the day goes (camelback works great) then more ibuprofen as needed. Stop at least every 150 to 200 miles for fuel, stretching, eating. Stop more often at the end of the ride. I take protein bars and beef jerky to eat on the way. It makes you feel full but not tired. doing it with a friend helps. If you have a way to talk while riding is better. This way if one starts getting tired the other can talk to them to keep them more alert.

Above all be safe and have fun with it. The last 150 to 200 miles are the hardest as you loose a lot mental sharpness. Remember you have 24 hours to do this. If you need to stop and sleep for a few hours do it. All of my SS1000 have been don't in between 16 & 18 hours by keeping my moving average speed around 65 mph.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
As others have said...hydrate. I use a 70 oz Camelbak filled with ice and water. I went through seven of them on my saddlesore. Mine took me 16 hours. Eat light (nuts, granola bars etc.) and when its done a couple of cold beers.

Enjoy, it really is not that difficult, just don't fool around at stops.

Robert

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
As others have said...hydrate. I use a 70 oz Camelbak filled with ice and water. I went through seven of them on my saddlesore. Mine took me 16 hours. Eat light (nuts, granola bars etc.) and when its done a couple of cold beers.

Enjoy, it really is not that difficult, just don't fool around at stops.

Robert
For me, eating light snacks whenever I have to ride or drive long distances is important. Keeps me from getting sleepy. I'm much better slightly hungry than full. A big afternoon meal can really put me to sleep.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I did it and will never do it again. It took me 18 hrs and 55 minutes. I almost went to sleep on the bike around 700 miles. Had a hard time sleeping after it was over because of a sore neck. If you do it, take plenty of advil and maybe get a massage afterwards. Good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
275 Posts
This is part of a much larger story, but when I tried it, the iron butt was purely incidental to the ride I was doing. I nearly got the 1K done but was a bit hampered by family & friends who had no understanding of what an iron butt is. I rode the last 9 hrs in 20 degree weather and ultimately ended the ride in 5" of new snow, a little short of the mark.
But I learned that you have to keep stops to a minimum. Time wasted at stops is hard to make up. I was far too excited to be sleepy, but realized later that I actually hadn't slept in 2 days. I was too excited to sleep before flying down to buy zippy's LT and too excited to sleep on the flight. I tried to cover the distance with zero sleep. Next time I'll take an Ambien the night before to put my brain to sleep.
But I enjoyed the experience and will do it again with more planning.

Bob

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to everyone that responded. After discussing what we wanted to accomplish, we've decided not to do an organized ride and just head south for 500-600 miles, have stops documented, do a turn around and head back. Not sure where to go yet from Springfield, MO. I get staying hydrated, and light energy snacks. Pee breaks will have to come more often now after prostate surgery 7 yrs. ago.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Thanks to everyone that responded. After discussing what we wanted to accomplish, we've decided not to do an organized ride and just head south for 500-600 miles, have stops documented, do a turn around and head back. Not sure where to go yet from Springfield, MO. I get staying hydrated, and light energy snacks. Pee breaks will have to come more often now after prostate surgery 7 yrs. ago.
you might go to Amarillo, TX or Oakley, KS or Nashville, TN via St. Louis. Nashville's the more interesting ride. :grin:

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
we've decided not to do an organized ride and just head south for 500-600 miles, have stops documented, do a turn around and head back..
One thing to think about. Can you head West and turn around? No morning sun in your eyes and no evening sun in your eyes.

·
Registered
682 Posts
One thing to think about. Can you head West and turn around? No morning sun in your eyes and no evening sun in your eyes.
+1

Not only does the sun in your eyes cause you to tire quicker, it also makes you harder to see for the cars behind you on the interstate. Just be aware that it does make it harder for a car in front of you to see you as you're passing them. Attempting an Iron Butt is actually a fairly dangerous proposition, so everything you can do to reduce the dangers is worth it.

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
Riding a motorcycle is considered by many to be a fairly dangerous proposition, which is why we do everything we can to recognize and reduce the risks.

Riding a motorcycle for a thousand miles should be treated with the same care and attention, which is what this thread is all about. :bike:

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Back in 05 the wife and I did an Ironbutt. We rode from Wichita Falls to Childress and to Shamrock and hit I-40 to Seligman, Az and turned around and back into Flagstaff. We did 1060 miles in 16 hours flat. It was gas, pee and go. I'll never do another. We fought a southwest wind all the way. There were 5 of us and I was the only one 2up. I rode a Midnight Venture. It would have been easier on my LT. I rode back from Maggie Valley 1075 miles in 17.5 hours. It's a killer on the butt and it's no damned fun. Good luck on your ride.

·
Registered
269 Posts
1k in 24 hrs
It can be an easy ride, don't try to kill it on the first leg, riding tank to tank is not needed and just tires most out. My longest leg was 151 miles, generally stopped every 100 or so miles for fuel or just to get off at a rest area for 10/15 minutes. Still did the ride in a total of 18.5 hours with about 14.5 hours of riding.

You have plenty of time, use it and your ride should be enjoyable, people talk about how hard it is but I think most who say that wear themselves out on the first leg trying to go as far and fast as possible on that first tank of fuel.

Reactions: Whiskey

·
Registered
343 Posts
A couple of additional points concerning the Saddle Sore 1000. How do you plan to handle the boredom, especially if you plan the entire route on the interstate? In my case, I planned the majority of my route on 4-lane US highways. You're still able to average 55+ MPH speeds, but you have the pleasure of the local scenery. However, if the unexpected time suck arises, have a bailout interstate plan ready. Additionally, while riding I like to think of the challenge in smaller manageable goals between cities or towns that are listed on mileage signs, not 1000 miles. Knowing I rode 100 miles between towns positively impacts my attitude versus thinking I have another XXX miles before I reach the 1000 mile overall goal.

A GPS with a satellite radio also helps chew up the miles. At the end of a 3-hour sports broadcast, you've ridden 180+ miles and probably need fuel and are ready to dismount anyway. If you're not a sports guy, listening to your favorite era music station, talk/news radio, audio book, or a podcast also helps with the boredom and eats up the miles. As a last resort to combat boredom, I'll use the CB and attempt contact with a trucker.

There will be a time (probably around the 750 mile mark) when you question why you are doing the ride. At that point, embrace the suck with a tart lemon drop from your tank bag and attempt to return to your riding "happy place". You will be proud of your accomplishment at the end of the ride and receiving the Iron Butt Association Saddle Sore 1000 certificate with your rider number is frosting on the cake.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
IBA 15661

·
Registered
179 Posts
I completed the Saddle Sore ride on one of my trips from my home in Troy, MI to my in-laws place in The Villages, Florida (1244 miles in 18 hours).

1. Best advise to you is start early in the morning and travel on a weekend.
2. Make sure that you don't give up safety to make the trip - if you are too tired to be safe - get off the bike and rest.
3. Make sure you get off the bike everytime you stop for fuel. Even a few minutes off the bike, make the ride easier.

Good luck and stay safe!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts