BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iron Butt rally...here we go again. This is the first year that I do not see any members from here. I'm sure there are, as I have not been very active here lately. Anyone else following along?

Iron Butt Rally - 2015

·
Registered
528 Posts
I've been watching the IBA site for the updates and it's neat to watch the spot tracks trying to guess where they are headed.

Those guys covered some miles on that first leg! It's a shame that couple had to drop out after the first leg when their brand new BMW1600GTL fried it's computer and is DOA. The guy sounded crushed in his Blog entry.

What an amazing Rally.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The lone K1200LT died enroute... Sad, but Hatcher had 224k miles on her at the rally start!

·
Registered
528 Posts
What an amazing adventure. Ive read all of the books on it and am in awe of these riders.

It's fantastic to be able to watch it all as it develops, and read the reports of the triumphs and heartbreaks as they unfold each day.

Really great stuff!

·
Miles of Smiles
1,054 Posts
Thanks Patrick.
So interesting following those links.
Technology has certainly enhanced these events, but not without costs.
Reliability issues aside, it still boils down to true grit and your threshold of personal pain.
Thanks for sharing and hats off to all participants.
Cheers

Reactions: patrick2000

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
I've spoken with Sam several times on various GTL issues. He and his lovely wife are good people.

I personally know how heartbreaking dropping out of an IBR can be. Sucks even more when you're feeling good and the bike fails on you.

Unfortunately, Sam took a gamble, and it failed for him. Never take a brand-new bike out on a ride like that. You have to put some shakedown miles on it first. Not only to avoid these types of rare infant mortality problems, but also to shake out all the other additions and options (fuel cell, lights, extra GPS, hydration, etc.) needed to ride an event like this.

Yes, this was unfortunate, and yes, it sucks for Sam and Sydney, and yes, there are those who will use this as an excuse to tell the world how awful BMW motorcycles are.

But they'll all get over it, and move on to the next ride . . .

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
Reliability issues aside, it still boils down to true grit and your threshold of personal pain.
The thing is, it doesn't have to be painful . . .

No one wants to ride in agony for 11 days (or even 1 day, really).

Which is why you spend so much time, effort, and money getting things right. The bike has to be the most comfortable place on the planet for you. Your gear has to be able to withstand extremes of hot, cold, wet, dry, etc. Every system, subsystem, and farkle on the bike has to be tried and tested and optimized. Your body has to be in shape to handle some very long days on the bike in a wide variety of conditions. And your brain has to be able to keep up with all of that, come up with a good plan (and stick to it), keep the bike safely on the road, gather whatever states or miles or bonuses they want, and not be late to the checkpoints or the finish.

Sure, it's a long, arduous task. That's the whole point of challenging yourself, really. But with proper mental, physical, and mechanical preparation, it doesn't have to be painful . . . :cool:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The lone K1200LT died enroute... Sad, but Hatcher had 224k miles on her at the rally start!
Lots of BMW entries (33) but not many "K" bikes. Mostly RT and GS models. I do not have a "K" in the stable at present , but I have fond memories of 3 versions.

·
Miles of Smiles
1,054 Posts
Well said Ken.
Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Having plan B helps too.
I love to look after the tiny details. Too many years flying I guess.
I should have clarified by personal pain I meant both physical and mental.

I enjoyed reading a 1956 London to Australia trip two up on a 150 cc Scoot.
Sadly a trip all but impossible today.

Modern Vespa : From London to Australia by scooter!

Cheers

·
Registered
528 Posts
According to the guys Blog it looks like he's finished the IBR a couple of times and this is his 3rd GTL. He says he's a believer in BMW and was setting out to prove that one could take a bone stock BMW and complete the IBR.

It didn't work out but it seems he's not new to the Rally and thought it was doable.

Looks like they put up the second leg scoring this morning, and the spots show the remaining riders off and running again. I'm getting tired watching it, these guys must be running on fumes!

I hope we get a couple of new books out of this one, I always enjoy reading about the Adventure!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Never take a brand-new bike out on a ride like that. You have to put some shakedown miles on it first.
I agree. I don't even do a major service just before a long ride. Too many things can go wrong. On my LT once, after a valve check, my left foot was bathed in oil I noted at a stop! Valve cover gasket was janked; major inconvenience, but I was "only" 100 miles from home, and limped back to the barn.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Your welcome Patrick!

I'm not a Rally rider but get the biggest kick out of following along and reading about the adventures, successes and failures these guys have during the IBR.

I'm rooting for the 79 year old guy to finish, cracks me up seeing him out there in his good - enough red and white coveralls and old school, side buckle Marlon Brando motorcycle boots. You can almost hear him as he looks around and shakes his head....."Back in my day we just rode in what we had!"

I'm surprised at how little interest it all gets on the Boards. Voni Glaves has a small
Thread on MOA, there's a little bit going on ADV, and we've got 12 or 13 posts here. Even the IBA site is only showing 400000 checks on the Spot Tracks. I find it strange that more Riders aren't following it.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
These guys are my heroes! As is Ken Meese, who isn't riding it his round but I know he's thinking how he would have approached the challenge. Don't know why I haven't been keeping tabs on it maybe because I was watching the women's world cup closely since a friend's daughter is on the USWNT. That was a great run as well. Now back to the IBS site waiting for the day 10 writeup.:bike:

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
A big congrats to Eric Jewell, who has spent more than 16 years chasing that dream. Eric has ridden well over 100,000 miles during his 8 IBR rides, and spent untold amounts of time, money, and effort just to get his name etched into a lonely pole somewhere way out in the Nevada desert . . .

A special shout-out goes to Jon Good & Andy Bergman, who managed a top-10 finish two-up on a GTL. :bmw:

And congrats to all the other riders who made it back home safely, full of stories of triumph over weather and adversity, and with a weary confidence you can only get by putting in the long miles.

It's a hëll of a thing they've all done here.

You can find daily reports from the entire rally at this link, and the final rider standings can be found at this link.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If I spent all that money for a brand new motorcycle and it failed on an IBI ride, then I'd be very disappoint in the product. It should operate during city, local or highway operations; Regardless of the length of the trip. Granted there is a break-in period that not to go over certain speed for the first 500 or miles.

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
But Jon & Ande's GTL didn't fail. It took them to an amazing top-10 finish.

Sure, Sam and Sydney's GTL did fail, but they're dealing with it the best that they can (which is not at all the point of this thread).

And do I really need to list all the LT's, RT's, and GS's that have failed to complete an IBR? Or that have failed for so many of us on this forum? Most of those we were related to the final drive failing, which, indeed had many IBR and non-IBR riders "very disappoint" . . .

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I followed the whole thing
These guys (and girls) really are the toughest of the thoughest riders in the world.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts