BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
IBR# 366
16,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be giving a formal presentation of my experiences in the 2009 Iron Butt Rally at the BMW dealer in Tigard on Saturday, February 26th and also at their sister store in Eugene on Sunday, February 27th. See below for details.

Saturday, February 26th @ 6:00 p.m.
BMW Western Oregon, Tigard
12010 SW Garden Place
Tigard OR 97223
503-597-7097
N 45° 25.987' W 122° 45.673'
www.bmwor.com

Sunday, February 27th @ 6:00 p.m.
BMW Western Oregon, Eugene
2891 W 11th Avenue
Eugene OR 97402
541-338-0269
N 44° 02.878' W 123° 08.114'
www.emcwor.com

The Iron Butt Association is a loose-knit group of riders dedicated to safe long-distance motorcycling. Entry into the club is obtained by documenting long-distance riding challenges, such as 1,000 miles in under 24 hours, or Coast to Coast in under 50 hours. Every two years the IBA hosts their premier event, the Iron Butt Rally. Billed as "11,000 miles in 11 days," this Rally tests the mettle of selected riders by sending them all across the US and Canada on a giant two-wheeled scavenger hunt. In fact, more people have gone into space than have completed an Iron Butt Rally.

Ken Meese has been riding ever since he snuck his parents' 125cc bike out of the garage as a teenager. He has logged several hundred thousand miles on BMWs and has ridden in Asia, Europe, and North America. Ken has ridden numerous Long Distance Rallies and Iron Butt certificate rides that have covered nearly every US state and most Canadian Provinces. 2009 was his first Iron Butt Rally, but definitely not his last.

This evening will be full of road tales, travails, and triumphs as Ken shares his experiences of competing in the ultimate motorcycle endurance Rally, and shows just what it takes to survive on a BMW for 11 days and 11,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I missed your last one Ken, I will try and make it down for this one.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
This is very cool! I recommend everyone that has the chance to make it, you'll be amazed at how much goes into the IB! Oh....and Ken's pretty cool too... ;)

·
IBR# 366
16,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sanjaun2 said:
I missed your last one Ken, I will try and make it down for this one.
I look forward to seeing you there, Brian.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'd not mind coming to that just to say hi to everyone. Not to interested in going that dealer but that is an entirely different subject:)

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'd not mind coming to that just to say hi to everyone. Not to interested in going that dealer but that is an entirely different subject:)

Anyone planning a dinner later or lunch or????

·
Registered
474 Posts
Crap! I just found out that we have a prior engagement for Saturday evening. Brian, you coming down?

·
IBR# 366
16,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
artk50 said:
I just found out that we have a prior engagement for Saturday evening.
You can always drop by Eugene on Sunday . . . ;)

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I would like to head down but the weather is not looking all that good. Below freezing around here means ice..... Keeping my options open at this point. They do have good beer down there.....

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
meese said:
I will be giving a formal presentation of my experiences in the 2009 Iron Butt Rally at the BMW dealer in Tigard on Saturday, February 26th and also at their sister store in Eugene on Sunday, February 27th. See below for details.

Saturday, February 26th @ 6:00 p.m.
BMW Western Oregon, Tigard
12010 SW Garden Place
Tigard OR 97223
503-597-7097
N 45° 25.987' W 122° 45.673'
www.bmwor.com

Sunday, February 27th @ 6:00 p.m.
BMW Western Oregon, Eugene
2891 W 11th Avenue
Eugene OR 97402
541-338-0269
N 44° 02.878' W 123° 08.114'
www.emcwor.com

The Iron Butt Association is a loose-knit group of riders dedicated to safe long-distance motorcycling. Entry into the club is obtained by documenting long-distance riding challenges, such as 1,000 miles in under 24 hours, or Coast to Coast in under 50 hours. Every two years the IBA hosts their premier event, the Iron Butt Rally. Billed as "11,000 miles in 11 days," this Rally tests the mettle of selected riders by sending them all across the US and Canada on a giant two-wheeled scavenger hunt. In fact, more people have gone into space than have completed an Iron Butt Rally.

Ken Meese has been riding ever since he snuck his parents' 125cc bike out of the garage as a teenager. He has logged several hundred thousand miles on BMWs and has ridden in Asia, Europe, and North America. Ken has ridden numerous Long Distance Rallies and Iron Butt certificate rides that have covered nearly every US state and most Canadian Provinces. 2009 was his first Iron Butt Rally, but definitely not his last.

This evening will be full of road tales, travails, and triumphs as Ken shares his experiences of competing in the ultimate motorcycle endurance Rally, and shows just what it takes to survive on a BMW for 11 days and 11,000 miles.

I will attempt to (and most likely will) make the Eugene presentation.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
We'll be there on Saturday. Dinner? Someone mention dinner?

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
I had offered Brian a B&B tomorrow night so he could come down for the IB program, but given the flakiness of the weather and road conditions he just called and decided to take a rain check. His computer is on his boat, so he asked me to post something. We'll miss seeing you Brian. We gotta do something soon to get everyone together for a RTE, CTE (cage to eat), or just a get together.

Denny

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Anyone who hasn't already heard of Ken's adventures, and has the opportunity, really should go.
Period.

·
Registered
938 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
Anyone who hasn't already heard of Ken's adventures, and has the opportunity, really should go.
Period.
Yeah, I'd like to here it . Doing any in summer, or is there a shedule?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
ironbuttwannabe said:
Yeah, I'd like to here it . Doing any in summer, or is there a shedule?
You might just have to roll over to the westcoast Neil. ;)

·
Registered
938 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
You might just have to roll over to the westcoast Neil. ;)
I probably will this year. Just wondered if he is doing any in the warmer months.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
ironbuttwannabe said:
I probably will this year. Just wondered if he is doing any in the warmer months.
Ken's willing to talk ... ANY time. :rotf:

·
IBR# 366
16,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
messenger13_ver2 said:
Ken's willing to talk ... ANY time. :rotf:
Or I could just have you speak for me, Joe. ;)

I'm looking at doing talks in other states and areas as my travel schedule allows. But I'm starting to get a bit busy preparing for this year's IBR . . .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts