BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first time I have ever been to the official Iron Butt rules and regs page and first off, 1000 miles in 24 hrs. I know I can do that but wow looking at some of the other stuff on there I saw what I must say is just the most insane thing I can think of. The 48 Plus! 48 states and Alaska. Thats just nuts.
So my question is, for all the IBA members, what have you done to date? and to everyone else what is your craziest ride?

Personally with a child on the way in May I will be lucky to actually complete a 1000 or 1500 this year. Yeah I know its only one day, but I don't want to grouch up the new Mom.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I did the Saddlesore and the Bunburner as part of the same trip. They are fun and not really hard depending on the location and traffic. I did mine on I-40 from Barstow to Shamrock TX and then on to Conway AR. After that they do get a bit harder and require some planning. May try a 50CC the end of May since I will be in Cal and have to get back to the east coast. Get a good nights sleep and head out around 4 AM you can get a lot of miles in by dark!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I completed an End to End Gold (John O'Groats to Lands End using a route taking 1000 miles in less than 24 hours) and a Bun Burner 1500 all in one ride last year on my then current ride of a 1991 Electra Glide Classic. Rained solid for the whole ride.

I hit major holiday traffic crossing Bodmin Moor along with torrential rain and fog. So it was hard work keeping the speed up, and a bit scary at times as people still don't see you even with all the lights on a glide blazing out front.

I did the End to End section in 19 hours and total ride in 30 hours. Average road speed of 55mph and fuel consumption of 27 mpg :eek:

The consumption figures and small tank drove me nuts in the end, as I always seemed to be filling it up and then worrying about where I could get fuel next.

That (the fuel consumption and range) was the nail in the coffin for the glide, but it never missed a beat to be fair to it.

David

·
Registered
321 Posts
I did a in-state ss1000 in Missouri last year.
Don't know if you visit The Motorcycle Tourers Forum, but the sponsor rides every other year. At least, they had a series of rides in 07, and I think they are planning rides in 09. They are not group rides, but preplanned rides where the witness, stops, etc parts are already covered. And the ride is pre-approved by the Iron Butt Association. I met some great folks on the Missouri one.
My craziest ride to date, was not Iron Butt certifiable. I picked up a used GS from a guy in LA and took three days, riding 2400 miles, to get it back to MO. It's a 97, with a windshield about the size of a dinner plate. The ride was a blast, but I was whippped when I got off after 800 miles the last day. :p

It's fun, and I like the license plate bracket you get.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I thought I wanted to try a SS1000, but got rained out a few years ago, pre KLT. the closest I ever came was 750 miles in 20 hrs. So yes it would be do-able [for me], BUT there were a few times where I got so sleepy I was unsafe and had to take breaks. And I was riding with a buddy who had to stop every 100 miles for gas.

I don;t know if I could SAFELY complete even the minimum, even though I would really like to. I guess keeping the "adventure factor" up would be a key to keeping me awake. And getting plenty of rest the day before. The day before our 750 mile day, I taught a MSF class, got in aroun 5 sleep at 6, up at 11 pm to depart at midnight.

The night riding was fun and easy. DC traffic at 6 am was NOT. The sleepy part came about 3 pm in NJ, but after a lunch break and the guy told us we had to leave by 3:30 to beat NYC traffic, I was fine til we got done for the day. I guess there is easily time for rest breaks if you plan the route properly. Our plan to leave at midnight was to be able to beat DC and NYC traffic, but it didn't work. DC was "straddle walking" for 8 miles, and NYC was fine on the TappanZee bridge side but once we hit CT, it was standstill time. Ended up stopping for a break to let traffic ease up a bit. So all in all, I guess it would be easily doable with proper route planning.

Maybe someday.... good luck to those that try and congrats to those that do it.
randy

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I have done a bunch. I must say a 1000 mile days can be as tough as a 1500+ mile days if traffic, weather and mechanical issues surface. You can also increase the challenge if you throw in the secondary roads etc.
I would say riding the TRIFECTA ( 4500+ miles < 72 Hrs ) with only the main fuel tank and not a fuel cell on day 2 plus rain all day on day 3 was the most interesting. BTW the Trifecta is not listed on the list of rides. There is a list of finishers perhaps half a dozen.on the IB site.
Other rides 50 CC Gold, BBG 3000 3X, BBG 1500 lost count etc. The 2 most intense rides to date done by other people were Warchild ( Dale Wilson ) Hell Week 7X 1500 . Dale rode a FJR. 1000 miles of the dragon on a wing.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
What level are you?

Jabrown said:
So my question is, for all the IBA members, what have you done to date? and to everyone else what is your craziest ride?
Let me first admit that I am not an IBA member, but I have done my share of long-distance riding over the past 5 years. Last May, returning home from the left coast, I completed 1,208 miles on the 20th day of my trip. I don't have a cert to "prove it" . . . just pictures, gas receipts, tire receipts, etc.. ;)

But I digress...

[rant]
You used words like "nuts" and "crazy", and I can't agree more. Pushing oneself beyond one's limits just to be part of some "Big Boy Peeing Contest" is ludicrous. I run out of fingers counting the IBA'ers (that I know personally) that have crashed while trying to complete these ridiculous feats of endurance.
[/rant]

Having said that . . . why do people climb Mount Everest? Because it's there. It seems to be part of human nature, for some odd reason. A feeling of accomplishment, perhaps. Even if it means risking one's life, and the lives of others around them. Then again, there are those that would say riding a motorcycle is "nuts" as well. So I guess I can conclude by saying that there are levels of crazy. And I just haven't obtained the level needed to participate in the IBA . . . . . . . . yet. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Mid June, Karen and I are starting the Iron Butt national parks Tour.
50 national parks in at least 25 states.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I don't think one is crazy at all for the SS1000. In fact, on an LT it's almost cheating!

Did mine on July 4th, in 18 hrs., 23 min. July 4th was perfect, because there was no holiday traffic, as everyone had traveled the day before to reach their destination. Also, absolutely no delays from construction, as they were off too!

Took a 1 hour nap at the half way point, by stretching out at a rest stop (aka, Iron Butt Motel). Because of that, fatigue was not an issue. You just need to know when it's time to rest.

It's only a "crazy endurance feat" when people try to stretch their limits. That's when people get hurt. For that reason, I personally wouldn't attempt anything more than a Saddle Sore, or Bun Burner - or perhaps a Border to Border. I could never pull off the 50cc, or Iron Butt Rally (probably wouldn't be invited anyway, so I'm safe!).

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: What level are you?

messenger13 said:
Having said that . . . why do people climb Mount Everest? Because it's there. It seems to be part of human nature, for some odd reason. A feeling of accomplishment, perhaps. Even if it means risking one's life, and the lives of others around them. Then again, there are those that would say riding a motorcycle is "nuts" as well. So I guess I can conclude by saying that there are levels of crazy. And I just haven't obtained the level needed to participate in the IBA . . . . . . . . yet. ;)
I agree with you fully. What may be nuts to me, may be a walk in the park to someone else. I personally think jumping out of a perfectly good airplane or Heli is nuts but I have buddies that do it all the time. So I suppose the 48+ may be a breeze to someone, just not me.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Mine was the LGL, Lower Great Lakes, was around lake Erie and Ontario in under 24 hrs. Like others have said, doing it on an LT is very easy.

Garry

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
whoa !!!!!
Food Lion without any beer stops ?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Jabrown said:
This is the first time I have ever been to the official Iron Butt rules and regs page and first off, 1000 miles in 24 hrs. I know I can do that but wow looking at some of the other stuff on there I saw what I must say is just the most insane thing I can think of. The 48 Plus! 48 states and Alaska. Thats just nuts.

I guess riding the 48+, 2-up, twice, would make us sound pretty insane, especially to those unfamiliar with the IBA. Having said that, and after reading some of the other posts, it's clear that LD riding is not for everyone. We are just thankful that the IBA exists for us, and anyone else that wants to have a documented, legitimate claim for a challenging ride. IBA membership is now approaching 40,000 riders.

For us, it's a personal challenge to be shared with an amazing group of riders.
No one else seems to understand, until they are bitten by the bug.

-tom

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
LD riding isn't for everyone, any more than motorcycle riding is for everyone (even if they can afford the shiny status symbol).

For me, I just like to ride. Short trips to run errands, an afternoon run through the local mountains or to meet friends for lunch, or crossing several states just to tick them off a list. It's all good. :)

Like many of the IronButt members, I've been riding long distance way before I knew of any group or organization. Getting a certificate is a nice feeling, but knowing that I accomplished the ride to my own standards counts for more. The group merely provides a collection of like-minded individuals that have all agreed to a standard set of rules so that we have a common ground to work from. Not unlike this forum, come to think of it.

Yes, riding motorcycles can be dangerous. But we accept those risks and try to mitigate them by riding advanced bikes with ABS, keeping them in good repair (especially tires and brakes), wearing proper safety gear (most of the time :)), taking advanced rider training, and even using forums like this to compare notes and learn from others.

LD riding is simply the same, but more so. You wouldn't buy a pair of Nikes then go run 26 miles, or buy a new parka and go climb a mountain. You work up to these goals by starting smaller, pushing yourself to the limit, then breaking through that limit and pushing on to the next one. Those limits are personal, and something that each of us has to find for ourself (or choose not to find). Even guys who have spent tens of thousands of dollars and years of training to go climb Everest have to know when they've hit their limits and have to turn back.

On my first "official" SaddleSore (1000/24) I pulled over and got a hotel simply because I needed to stop. Four hours later I felt great and continued on without problem. I've also completed a 50CC, had a nice, big breakfast, then felt good enough to continue on another few hours and another state or two.

In terms of sanctioned rides, I've done multiple 1000/24 rides such that I don't bother documenting them anymore. Under perfect conditions that's about 14 hours ride time, plus another hour for fuel stops and a quick lunch. I've also done 1500/36, B2B Gold (Mexico to Canada) in <24 hours, 1500/24, 50CC (coast to coast in <50 hours), and an SS5K (5,000 miles in 5 days). The trick is not running at full-tilt for hours on end, but rather minimizing down time (fuel stops 5-10 minutes max) and managing your sleep (especially on the longer multi-day rides). It's efficiency, not speed that will get you there safely.

I'm also doing a couple of longer-term rides, such as the National Parks Tour (50 parks in 25 states within a year) and the California National Parks Adventure (all 24 National Parks in California within a year). These serve nothing more than to get me down some random back roads that I never would have chosen on my own, and to say that I did it.

But what I prefer more is the LD Rallies. Doing 1,000/24 is almost cheating with today's modern bikes and extremely efficient Interstate systems. But turn that into a scavenger hunt where you have to chase bonus locations, take pictures of obscure roadside attractions, and answer random trivia questions and it's a whole new ball game. Suddenly instead of simply changing XM channels or looking ahead to the next fuel stop as you drone along you find the brain constantly searching for the best combination of time/distance while hustling down some little-traveled back road looking for a roadside marker or chasing the tide to get that picture of an obscure lighthouse. Now that's challenging, and a whole lot of fun besides.

Then again, it's not for everyone. And that's fine. But if it does call to you, then at least we know where you can find many more like-minded riders who don't think twice about crossing state lines just to have lunch with a few guys. :)

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
Re: What level are you?

messenger13 said:
- Joe rants on, again -
Any more crazy than power wheelies or sliding the rear tire through corners or scraping pegs for the camera or doing 150+ just because you can? Some would say there's no place for any of those antics on the street and that you're needlessly endangering not only yourself, but every other road user out there. And some would argue that those things can be done safely by an experienced rider under the proper conditions.

It's all a matter of degree. We've all made fun of the poser crowd that dumps their bike in a parking lot or runs wide off the road due to inexperience. And I know lots of guys that have crashed under a variety of circumstances. But I will say that when you count mile-for-mile, the LD crowd is easily one of the safest groups that I've even ridden with. There's a difference between consciously pushing your own limits in a controlled manner and suddenly slamming into a limit that you didn't know was there, with often dire consequences. I'd rather take the informed route, thanks. :)

Then again, no one's forcing you to ride 24 hours straight, any more than they're forcing me to ride on one wheel, whether or not either of us could do so safely. So it's all good. :)

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
My crazyest ride was christmas eve when I was 20. Norfolk to Wales (UK) on an AR125cc No riding gear and didn't start till 11pm!!!! Black ice and hyperthermia for Christmas day.
No ride will ever be as stupid, dangerous or challenging.
These days my LD rides are when I want and have no pressure to go further than my instincts tell me. That's why I don't do the Nationals. You have to do them on the day set. I have good days and bad days. No way am I going to put myself in the position of riding further than I feel is comfortable and safe ever again.

·
Registered
110 Posts
justlookin said:
I did a in-state ss1000 in Missouri last year.....Jeff
What was your route. Anything I come up with looks like it will take 20+ hours. A bit too long for me to stay awake.

I am trying to get as close as I can to all 4 corners, which may be messing me up.

I also want to do a 50CC, but need to plan a long vacation, since KC is on the middle....

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
To answer your original question, my most unusual IBA ride was my first one. I rode a 1400 Suzuki intruder in a round trip ride of just over 1000 miles. It took me 23 hours. Made 13 gas stops--very small tank on that cruiser. After the first 2 stops, the credit card stopped working at the pumps, so I had to go to the clerks and get it approved inside. Tell your credit card company that you will be using the card a lot.

The record keeping, recording each stop, getting time stamped receipts, putting it all together and sending it to the IBA is a pain. But the plate holder on the bike is nice.

The other IBA rides have been on BMWs. First on an LT and the most recent one BB1500 on my current ride--RT.
As has been said, it is almost cheating to do the entry level rides on a BMW touring bike.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts