BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I took off last Friday @ 7:00 AM and drove from Cincinnati, OH to Fredericksberg, VA picked up a Unigo trailer from another member of this site and returned home @ 1:00 AM:

Highlights:
1. Total Miles - 1014 (Iron Butt) :D
2. Hooked up the trailer in 5 minutes - all lights were a go
3. Loaded the trailer with about 40 lbs
4. Towed perfect . . .
5. In some high speed turns in West Virginia +80 mph passing trucks got a little light - not an issue
6. You cannot see that thing behind you no matter how hard you try
7. Backed up on several occassions with no problems - just like a trailer
8. Only time you can hear trailer is slow speed going over curbs
9. Gas mileage takes a very small hit when under tow
10. This trailer just fits the LT and does not compromise your riding style in almost all conditions

See picture the morning after . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Wow Dan, that's a good looking trailer. I saw the ad and showed it to Mama but the $$$ and stars were not lined up right. It is the first one of that color I have seen. Have fun.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Dan, you be stylin' now. That's a great lookin' rig out.

Whatta you guys have to do for a trailer license plate? Just move the scoots plate back there, or have to get a trailer specific plate? Or don't need nuttin'?

Congrats on the early Xmas present, Dan.

Hey, Bones - you wanna rig up a wheel for this?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Dick said:
Sure! It's the right color but it would look funny. Well...maybe I could pull it off.:D

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
Dick said:
Dan, you be stylin' now. That's a great lookin' rig out.

Whatta you guys have to do for a trailer license plate? Just move the scoots plate back there, or have to get a trailer specific plate? Or don't need nuttin'?

Congrats on the early Xmas present, Dan.

Nice trailer, Dan.

Dick: Ohio requires a standard auto-size license plate for all trailers, which looks huge on a Unigo. I'm going to do what one of the guys at Unigo does: make a high-quality color copy of the license plate, reduce it to motorcycle plate size, and mount it via full-sheet laminate to a piece of aluminum. Mount the "copy" on the trailer, then keep the original in the trailer. It looks perfect and you'd never know it wasn't legitimate unless you were an LEO and gave it a second thought.

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mini Plate

Howard,

I was at Schoolhouse back in early June and talked to the assembly tech like you and will be doing the same - take the full size plate the state gives you and then go to work with scanner and Photoshop and shrink it down to the size of a motorcycle plate and mount it. Trying to think

I have the trailer currently loaded and we are on a trip to Boston and upstate New York. We got the three bag set and boy they work and fit real well. :D Trailer is all its cracked up to be . . .

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
dfinazzo said:
... We got the three bag set and boy they work and fit real well. :D Trailer is all its cracked up to be . . .
This is the three-bag set that Unigo sells? I didn't get that, but based on your recommendation I may have to revisit that...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Mines Finally Ready!

Talked to Mark today and he said all he has to do is throw in the carpet and assemble it and I can take it home next week. It'll be 13 weeks. Glad I didn't have any trips countin on it except the big one to CCR that I want to use it for.

I bought the optional bags for it too. Should come in handy. I think based on Howards experience, I'll ask Mark to follow me on the freeway a little ways to make sure its tracking correctly.

Oh, Mark also said his assembler got into an accident on his Gold Wing and will be out for awhile.

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
sprdoorman said:
Talked to Mark today and he said all he has to do is throw in the carpet and assemble it and I can take it home next week. It'll be 13 weeks. Glad I didn't have any trips countin on it except the big one to CCR that I want to use it for.

I bought the optional bags for it too. Should come in handy. I think based on Howards experience, I'll ask Mark to follow me on the freeway a little ways to make sure its tracking correctly...
Good for you, Carl.

I doubt Mark will want to take the time to actually follow you down the road. He'll eye-ball at the time of delivery, at his shop, and make any adjustments if necessary.

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
3 Bagger

Howard,

Yes, this is the set that Unigo sells - they came with the used unit I bought. When I talked to Mark he was not pushing them at all - in fact I believe he said he does not use them. Well they are custom designed to fit the shape of the Unigo and per my wife hold a very large amount of luggage. What I am saying they work as designed and do a good job.

On another matter - it looks like I need to design a small bracket with wheels so when I want to take the Unigo in the model room I do not need to lift and maneuver all that weight. Sounds like a small matter but you can really pack in the pounds and the unit becomes quite heavy and besides if it had wheels my wife could handle it as well!! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts