BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I have a 2003 k1200lt and I am trying to hook up my ipod through the aux input but cant get any sound. Whats the trick

·
Registered
681 Posts
you are talking about the aux input on the intercom? There is something weird about that input, I used it once for a cell phone, and the volume was not controlled by the handlebar control, (not sure if you have the same intercom as me) but when I used the cell, it was so loud, I couldn't stand it. I don't know why but it seems that others have tried to use an ipod in this input and got zip. I have a 2000 with the cassette in the stingray and just use a cassette adapter and plug in my iphone. I can't do any selecting of music, but I can control the volume from the handlebar.

·
Old Dawg
3,295 Posts
I am pretty sure AUX only plays through the intercom headset, not the bike speakers so make sure you have your headset plugged in ;).

·
Registered
161 Posts
I play my iPod/iPhone/iPad through the aux in ... I ran a 9ft cord from the oddments box to the top case and just put the cord in the aux connection of the cd player and the iPod/iphone/ipad in the top case .... I can control volume with the bike controls ... I put the iPod/iphone/ipad on max and use the bike volume controls ... I listen to music on shuffle or audio books via a play list or if I'm where we have a data connection (lots on non-data areas here in western Colorado) I can also listen to pandora ... as a side note ... I also put a 12v standard cigarette lighter connection in the top case powered by the passenger power port so I can keep them charged too ... as a benefit ... if the iPhone rings I will know ... although I generally turn the phone to flight mode cause when I ride, I don't want to be found ... recently I added a sirius stratus 6 radio in the top case too ... uses the same power connection and the same aux cord ... again I can only control volume while ridding, not channels ... works very well and I can hear it via the speakers or the Bose headset in my helmet ... I put everything in the top case for security (harder to steal) and to keep it dry ... even with the iPad it takes up very little room in the top case ... I can still get my full face helmet and my co pilots 3/4 in there when the iPad is the unit of choice ... we do lots of camping from the bike and the iPad does dual duty as an email machine an photo storage device

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So are you listening through the external speakers or your headset. I like the idea of having everything in the tour pac

·
Registered
161 Posts
Works well ... only issue is on a long trip, for example, I might actually hear the same song twice ... or if I'm on sirius, I switch channels every gas stop

·
Registered
426 Posts
Here is a work around. I plug my ipod into the jack then plug in my headset to helmet then push the button on the com system like for playing music on the out side speakers. This will play the music inside the helmet. Strange I know but it works. No need to turn on the stereo system at all.

·
Registered
161 Posts
For what it's worth ... I've attached pics of the inside of the top case

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
FuzzyWuzHe said:
For what it's worth ... I've attached pics of the inside of the top case
Hmmmm... I have had USAA forever and they never sent me a nice jacket for storing my paperwork... :-((

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've been with them since 70 ... had that folder since then I think ... LOL

·
IBR# 366
16,574 Posts
deputy5211 said:
Hmmmm... I have had USAA forever and they never sent me a nice jacket for storing my paperwork... :-((
We've got one . . . maybe they just don't like you. :)

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
deputy5211 said:
Hey, Tony - Cheryl and I worked there for a hunnert years and prolly got a few of those. Want me to send you one? ;) :D

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Back to your original post: I played my 20GB ipod click wheel (circa 2003) through the aux input with no problems, but when I upgraded to an 80GB ipod classic in 2008 then problems. The max volume setting was set too low, but even when that was remedied, and the volume scrolled all the way up, the sound through the speakers was still very soft. I ended up connecting the ipod through a Starcom intercom system into helmet speakers.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 2009 K1200LT with the Voice II System. I have a RAM mount on the right handle bar and a water proof case for a IPOD 60GB. I ran a cable down the handle bar and into the oddment box and connect to the AUX port. I put the volume at max on the IPOD. On the same handlebar I also have a Sirius satellite radio which is also connected to the AUX port. I have enough music on the IPOD that I can listen to it for seven straight days without repeating songs. The IPOD will play though the speakers or the J and M headset just fine. When using the helmet speakers and microphone make sure you turn off the speed sensor so the volume to the outside speakers will not increase in volume helmet speakers will also do the same.. The VOICE II system has the ability to turn off the external speakers.

As for your issue I hope you have the correct cable to connect to the AUX port. Also the wiring on the back of the system may be loose or corroded from moisture.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts