BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2005 LT and a new 20GB iPod with click wheel. Just purchased ICE LINK. Everything runs well for a while (hour or less) then the iPOD freezes. Have read some discussion on this problem in earlier threads and was wondering if anybody has a solution yet?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Que12LT said:
I own a 2005 LT and a new 20GB iPod with click wheel. Just purchased ICE LINK. Everything runs well for a while (hour or less) then the iPOD freezes. Have read some discussion on this problem in earlier threads and was wondering if anybody has a solution yet?
I have been diddling with the icelink all summer with various firmwares and various ipods. Not the most reliable setup. No matter what I have tried, I continue to have problems. Sorry I can't give you answers. It's a shame that we, as consumers have gotten to the point where we pay for, and accept flawed items and try to work the bugs out ourselves. I am sure there is no one on this board that would by a car and not keep taking it back to the dealer if the stereo system just kept quitting on it's own as the ice link/ ipod combo does. Shame on us. Thanks for the venting opportunity.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
I finally got mine to work, but I had to modify the ICE>link module to upgrade to the latest firmware add a heat sink to the 7805 voltage regulator and then reposition everything to the front of the side case. I believe there is a vibration problem with the IPOD carrier that comes with the ICE>link and found mine to work best if the carrier is not hard mounted. I would opt for the lock in cable instead of the carrier.

Dension has never answered my email, web inquiries or my phone messages. I was shocked find they "removed" my web inquiry, so it no longer shows any open tickets.

Photos are attached of the voltage regulator heat sink mod. the heat sink on the regulator is at Ground potential.

Attachments

·
Registered
836 Posts
HEAT!!
Did all everyone says to try - no luck.

Moved Ipod into RKA bag with soft cushions. NO help.
Moved Icelink to front of saddle bag. NO help.

Last week, based on Joe Messengers input, I moved the Ipod into the map pocket of the Chicane Bag and put the Icelink module above the tank next to the "gold" gas port.

Works like it should now. Road for 4+ hours Sunday and again Tuesday with no problems.

Joe thinks it might be a heat issue for the I-Pod.? Don't know, but now it works. It's also nice to be able to see the song list on the Ipod. Finally found a good use for the small map pocket.

·
Registered
3 Posts
drmajor said:
... I moved the Ipod into the map pocket of the Chicane Bag and put the Icelink module above the tank next to the "gold" gas port.
Where is this "gold" gas port? Can you take a pic and share? I am going nuts trying to get this #$%^( thing working well.

:bmw:

·
IBR# 366
16,562 Posts
It is located on top of the gas tank, under the radio stingray, just in front of the gas filler cap.

·
Registered
836 Posts
On top of the gas tank on the right side. If you take the top plastic off you'll see it. About 4" diameter. The Icelink module fits - barely.
I ran the thin cable to the Ipod dock into my Chicane bag. I plan, Like Joe Messinger t run it through the handle bar and mount on the RAM mount that Raffey sells that takes the place of the Clutch resevoir cover.

Depending on how you end up with the Ipod/Icelink setup, you might just want to put the Ipod in the glove box. That's another option i'm considering as I will be safe and dry.

At this time, I've ended up with the Icelink only controlling FWD. The Ipod can be controlled by itself. This is kinda nice as I can move between Genre, Albums, Artist, and Playlist. Bad, in that I have to have it in the open or in the Chicane map case. Bad that I take my eyes off the road to change....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts