BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the Ipod and Icelink to work on my 03'.

I had loaded the new updates, had it set to charge only while playing, and etc. Typically it would lock up at 45 minutes. I'd have to reset the Ipod or its battery would run all the way down.

1. Loaded new software - no help.
2. Made sure it charge mode was OK.
3. Made sure it wasn't in Shuffle mode when loading firmware
4. Thinking it might be vibration, I moved the Ipod into my RKA bag and had it loosly held with a towel. No help.
5. Thinking heat an issue for the Icelink, I moved the Icelink forward in the saddlebag, under the lip left by the CD changer. No help.

Joe Messinger suggested that the problem was heat for the Ipod...hum?

Yesterday I moved the Icelink and Ipod out of the Saddlebag. Worked!~

The Ipod is now in my Chicane's map case with the Icelink holder. The Icelink wire is run [for the time being] forward and down under the Stingray. The Icelink module is now on top of the fuel tank where the fuel lines & power connector come out. There's just enough room for it to lay there.

The Icelink cable is run back above the battery and the excess is tie wrapped there [temporary]. I pulled the BMW CD Changer cable and connectors out of the saddle bag. It and the Icelink cable connect just aft of the battery.

I road today from 11AM till 2:45 with no problems....NO LOCK UP!!.

I would like to put the Ipod in the glove box, but can't figure if there's a way to get the Icelink DIN connector out of the glove box. It's about 3/8-1/2" diameter. That way, the Ipod can be locked in the glove box. This way I don't have to take it off the bike to lock it up.

Any thoughts of getting that DIN connector out of the glove box?

·
IBR# 366
16,562 Posts
Glad that you got it working finally.

Based on recent feedback, if I was gonna wire up an iPod and ice>Link, I think I'd go in this direction:

1) Get an ice>Link with a dock connector.
The cradle is nice, but the dock connector should work just as well and be smaller, which would help fit the iPod into the oddments box.

2) Get the ice>Link that plugs directly into the back of the radio.
The CD changer controller is the radio itself, so there's really no reason to run factory cable all the way to the saddlebag, then run long ice>Link cables back up to the stingray. And if you don't have the factory CD cables, there's no reason to spend $200 for them. If Dension doesn't make a cable that fits the back of the LT's radio, then I'd find the plug that does fit and wire it up myself. There is info on this in the HoW and on the old LT site.

3) Run all the cables inside the radio stingray.
There is room in there if the cables are kept short, and you can pass the dock cable just around the side or top of the radio easily enough.

This solution minimizes excess cable (and possible cable costs) and keeps everything together so it's still easy to remove the stingray for normal service. It should also deal with the heat and vibration issues.

Note that this is how my iPod has been running for several years, using the iPod's remote instead of the ice>Link (which wasn't available back then). I have had no heat or lockup issues at all, even when riding and playing the iPod for 24 hours straight.

·
Registered
590 Posts
IceLink in Oddments Box

I recently added an IceLink to my bike. I ended up ordering a dock connector cable from Dension to replace the cradle connector that came standard. The cable was about $44 delivered. [For those LT riders that don't already have an IceLink, you may want to try ordering one from Dension with the dock cable; the ones in retail stores come with the a cradle connector.]

Over the weekend I stripped the tupperware and pulled the stingray. I used a Dremel tool to enlarge a hole I had cut on the right side of the oddments box "tray" to pass the plug of the dock cable through (I had cut the hole earlier for my cellular phone wire to my Autocom). I had a leftover round grommet from the CD changer connection, so I split that and used it to neaten up the hole in the oddments box.

Like you, I pulled the CD changer wiring out of the saddlebag. I did not like the idea of an open hole, so I split the cone-shaped rubber grommet, folded the long ends in, and used it to plug the hole in the wall of the saddlebag.

With the dock connector in the oddments box, I routed the cable back along the frame rail, which put the IceLink module near the fuses boxes in the rear. I coiled up the excess cable, zip tied it all together and stuffed it into the spot beside the frame rail above the saddlebag.

I like being able to see the display when sitting still, and being able to lock my Nano (and cell phone) in the oddments box.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
When you need an occasional grommet for a project check out Ace Hardware. The one in my area is well equipped with small hardware items as well as stainless fasteners in metric sizes. To plug a hole they also have what you need and they look clean and neat.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi David,
I have the 5G 60 gig Video IPOD and want to run the ICElink. What did you purchase in the kit? Also I do not have the CD Cable going to the box so I will go right to the radio. As for getting cables in and out of places like that, I have some Grommets that fit in a 1" hole but have a 1/4" hole in the middle of the grommet. They are soft rubber material and can be (Grunt gerr ....) Stretched over the connector then popped into the 1" hole in the panel you wish to go through. As the hole for the grommet is 1" the connector goes right through but the grommet seals the cable and the hole nicely.

Thanks for any information,
Bob Weir
[email protected] (for offline advice if you prefer)
Dark titanium 2006
Canyon red 1999

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess you'll need to isolate the audio calbes on the IceLink and run that into the radio's input.

I considered this too, but just didn't try it.

by the way, if you want an Icelink with the new software, let me know. I ended up going another route due to making it work on bike and 2 cars.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi David,
Contact me on you want for the whole setup.
Thanks,
Bob Weir

1 - 7 of 7 Posts